Stumpjumper's Lint Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Ridgerunner

Stumpjumper's Lint Stove

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Stumpjumper came over today bringing gifts. He made some nice fire starter material and a stove out of the same material.
As he explained it to me, he took a toilet roll or paper towel roll and mixed dryer lint and melted candle wax from thrift store candles and filled up the cardboard rolls and let it cool. Then he cut it into disc on the saw. You break a disk into 4 pieces and set it on fire to use as a fire stater. He also brought over a cat food tin filled with the same material to use as a stove. The following pics are of the stove burning after one hour. Looks to have plenty of fuel left to last quite awhile. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: Stumpjumper's Lint Stove

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:54 am

Those are the kind of presents I like :D Nice way to make them. I like the color of wax based fire. Candle wax makes for nice smelling fire :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:40 am

It burnt for 2 hours but would soot your pot UNLESS you used beeswax which Stumpjumper said he has easy access to. ;) The stove would make a good weekend stove.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:43 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:It burnt for 2 hours but would soot your pot UNLESS you used beeswax which Stumpjumper said he has easy access to. ;) The stove would make a good weekend stove.

Never heard that about bees wax, cool! Easy access to B-wax, hmmmmm, is he a beekeeper?

Connie's place is down the road from a beekeeper. She's probably going there now to get some :D

Anyone know the name of the metal cap they put on top of candles to prevent wax from dripping over the edge?

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:12 pm

To prevent wax from dripping, candles are often topped by a "candle follower", a short tube made of brass, glass or some other non-flammable material.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:15 am

DaddyMnM wrote:
To prevent wax from dripping, candles are often topped by a "candle follower", a short tube made of brass, glass or some other non-flammable material.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you!!! :D At a time when I was an alter boy, my responsibilities were to light the tall candles up at the front of the church. I always wondered what those caps were and for what purpose. I'll have to get one to see how they are made. Church candles at that time were pure beeswax. I'm not sure if that tradition still carries on.

See that, I have been associated with fire in some form or another since I was a kid :mrgreen:

My parents initiated the primal fire when I was 1 year old by placing a burning candle on my birthday cake :o

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Stumpjumper just got into bee keeping a few years ago and went to a lot of meetings and made friends in the beekeeping circle. He found out her is allergic to bee stings(hospital visit) and thus gave his two bee boxes away. His friends in the bee keeping fraternity can keep him hooked up with beeswax if he chooses. In the mean time he bought 5 huge candles at the thrift store today for a couple dollars. ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:23 pm

I like the smell of beeswax. At the end of the season, the worker bees kick the drones out of the hive to fend for themselves but they don't make it through the winter :roll: Less mouths to feed :mrgreen:

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 am

Maybe the neighbor will package up beeswax, and sell it?

If solid, how do you get it in the stove?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:18 pm

ConnieD wrote:Maybe the neighbor will package up beeswax, and sell it?

If solid, how do you get it in the stove?

You can melt it in a cold coffee can and pour it in and mix the lent with it or depending on the size of the beeswax, you could melt it right in the tuna can and add your lent as you go.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”