FireMug KIT

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
cadyak

Re: FireMug KIT

Postby cadyak » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Ahh the straws. Thank you for reminding me. I have read about that forever but have never tried it. Always seemed like a cool idea though. I have a huge jar of straws at home. now I just need a little tiny funnel :D
Thanks.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:30 pm

make a paper funnel..piece of scotch tape..My middle name is Myog-gyver... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Typically, if I know I like seasonings I can get in packets, I'll get the packets and tape what I need to each meal bag. (Shells&cheese, I like pepper so I'll tape 2 pepper packets on the bag, for spam I like ketchup so I'll tape a couple of ketchup packets on the foil bag, etc.)
If I have a favorite spice for say trout, I'll just mix a batch of the seasonings and take it in a film cannister. That way, you have everything you need, it's super light weight and you don't have to carry as much out as many of the spice packages are burnable. No sense carrying a whole salt/pepper shaker when you only need a few pinches here and there.
Look around for your packets and you can find almost anything.
Places that sell biscuits will have honey packets, taco places will have hot sauce, any place that sells chicken nuggets/strips will have ranch, honey mustard and bbq packets. Breakfast places will have butter and jelly's.
Convenience stores that sell sandwiches/hot dogs will have ketchup/mustard/relish and mayo and pretty much any fast food place will have salt/pepper. Some places will have specialty sauces, like Arby's. They have horseradish (horsey sauce).
For butter I usually just carry some of the squeeze butter. That seems to season things up nicely, also doubles as oil.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. My food sack is getting big. Got to have that real butter though.
I am taking a lot of wild rice, couscous, oatmeal, dried ham/hamburger/veggies, and foil packs of tuna and chicken. Salt, pepper, and olive oil for everything dinnerwise except a rosemary blend for the fish.
Leaving the gorp at home this time and going with clifbars and powerbars.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Myog-gyver... :lol:

That's too funny :mrgreen:

Looks like you've got everything sorted out on the stuff you need.

We wish you well on your adventure cadyak. Hope you catch your limit of fish. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks a lot man.
I have been trapped in the office for about 5 months so I am pretty stoked. I love the Smokies.

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:59 pm

The Smokies are great. The wife and I are getting ready to put our house on the market so we can move to Chattanooga.
I rode through there this summer and it was great. Didn't have time to camp/hike but I did hit the Dragon on my motorcycle.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:27 am

Did you add the rear luggage rack to your bike yourself ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Yes. I built a trailer hitch for my bike and the basket just goes into the hitch receiver. Easy on, easy off. Works great and much more manageable than a trailer. I just put a tote in the basket and it keeps everything dry.
The tail lights on the basket are actually a modified tail light off of an old school bus. Very bright! Makes me noticed at night.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:09 pm

I like your bike setup, JollyRogers ;)

cadyak, I hope you have a great trip and don't freeze your tail off. Fishing in January sounds like a challenge. Good luck and be safe!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”