FireMug KIT

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
JollyRogers

Re: FireMug KIT

Post by JollyRogers » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks, RR.

Cadyak, I hope your trip goes okay, word is the Smokies are getting snow this weekend. :o

Good luck, and don't sweat it if you don't catch much, there is a reason it is called "fishing" and not "catching". :D

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:26 pm

thanks a lot guys.
Yeah I know it will be hit or miss for the fishing. Either way, it sure beats being at work. I wish I were even a decent fly fisherman. I have fed myself well though with spinners and an ultralite even in winter. North Carolina might be completely different.
I have watching that weather close. I got some new instep crampons and have decided to take the bomber storm gear instead of the dryducks.
If it is nasty I hope to shoot some Firemug videos :geek:
By the way,
I had been getting onto my wife about using so much firewood when it wasnt even cold.(she has a 10 degree comfort window) :D
Then I had a revelation. she is "fire" challenged so
I showed how to top light the fire in the fireplace with 2-3 logs on the bottom and a nice pile of kindling with fat lighter on top. the fire burned for all evening.
shes happy and the wood pile might last through another month.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:16 am

cadyak wrote: Yeah I know it will be hit or miss for the fishing. Either way, it sure beats being at work. I wish I were even a decent fly fisherman. I have fed myself well though with spinners and an ultralite even in winter. .

What kind of pole and reel are you taking, Kadyak? We tried fishing the backwoods streams out of Elkmont a few years ago but they had gone through a draught the previous year and we were told it would be years before the backwoods streams produces fish although we caught a few at basecamp. What part of the Smokies in NC are you going to. My favorite area so far has been Big Creek. There are alot of possible loop trails and sights from that area. :D One good tyhing is that chances of a run in with a bear are about nill :lol: Stay warm my friend, enjoy the hike and take plenty of pictures. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:47 am

Did the Big Creek Area two years ago in Jan. with about 55lbs on my back and 2 ft of snow. Hard work but fantastic scenery.

This year it is a loop and will start out with 2 days on Deep Creek before we go up to Clingmans Dome and get on the AT for a few days and back out on the Noland Divide Trail.
I havent been in this area before but it looks like I should be able to wet a hook almost as soon as we leave the parking lot. Right now it is being hammered with snow.
I am using a micro spinning rig and an old telescopic rod with 4lb test and a box full of roostertails and blue fox minnows.

This trip is totally different in that we are base/tent camping down low for the first two days. (normally we do the ridges which means shelters...which to me often equates to: dirt, rats, 5 dudes snoring, and last year someone spilled white gas on my sleeping bag from above and wouldnt admit it)
Last year three lawyers showed up at 9:00pm after post-holing 11 miles in deep snow. They opened their flask of scotch upon arrival and were _ _ _ _ faced in 10 minutes. The oldest fellow, 70 yrs old, insisted on making a family sized batch of red beans and rice (20-30 minute simmer time) and then passed out while it was cooking. They started telling stories about how the year before the same guy had burned up another campers sleeping bag in the same state of mind. You never know who you are going to run into.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Kadyak, you meet all walks of life on the trail. Some are great and some not so. Make sure your rooster tails only have one hook ;) I am looking into possible loop trail at Deep creek. Coming from the north, it is a lot further south. We are going to hit it in the middle of May so I'm sure we will have plenty of company. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:45 pm

tough trip. no fish. there were large car sized sheets floating everywhere in the river. Fell in once. brrrrr
LOTS of snow and slow goin. A lot of the trail was in terrible condition.
My buddy is getting some pictures together. Very fun and a killer 5 day workout but was right on the edge with moisture control and cold. Had to change the route and cut a day off because we couldnt get across Deep Creek. (my map says there is a footbridge)All equipment worked great in very cold and wetfuel conditions. I used the woodstove for dinner/tea every night(no top lighting) and the alcohol stove for coffee and oatmeal every morning.

hope everyone had a great week!

Tamerlin

Post by Tamerlin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:46 am

Sounds like quite an adventure! Your kit sounds pretty promising, too :)
Rakesh Malik, Photographer/Owner
White Crane Photography, LLC
http://www.WhiteCranePhotography.com

Support my Art for Clean Air fun raiser:
http://indiegogo.com/WhiteCraneClimb

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Very fun and a killer 5 day workout but was right on the edge with moisture control and cold.

No way !!! not my idea of fun :o

Taking a dip would have sent me heading back to the car and homeward bound :mrgreen:

Glad you made it safely back home. Bring on the photos, we've got the hot chocolate and cookies ready :D Think Spring ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:16 pm

no pics yet. here are a couple of vids. I didnt do to well with videos mainly because near dark I was always freezing my rear off and too hungry to do anything but cook, eat and do a swan dive into the sleeping bag.
My pack ended up well over 30 lbs so my camera stayed in the truck. My hiking buddy carried his.
My number one item that I really missed? my camp stool. Its nice to be off the ground. especially when the ground is under a foot and a half of snow. :D

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:31 pm

Camp Stool :shock: I would never have guessed :D

At least you ate good and slept good. Got plenty of exercise and lots of time away from the rat race. ;)

What your plans for the next "adventure" ....................We want to see fish in the frying pan :D

Thanks for sharing your buds videos, nice to see open water. Everything is frozen shut here in northern IL. :(
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/