FireMug KIT

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
cadyak

FireMug KIT

Postby cadyak » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Merry Christmas Everybody!
I have been fiddling with this concept for a while, just thought I would post a few pics. With this setup, you have everything you need, woodstove, alcohol stove, fuel, pot, tiwire stakes, tinder and whatever else you can fit in one package.
I am still working on a way to put my ti-windscreen in here. However I still usually carry a good sized 12X24 aluminum windblock made from a foil roasting pan that works great and is actually lighter than the titanium, just not as pretty.

It isnt the lightest setup in the world with the stainless cup/pot, but it is pretty much indestructo.
The stainless spring-lock keeps everything tightly joined. Still working on a lid. The 600ml pot is tight enough in the stove where it actually removes a good deal of the creosote with each assembly.

alcohol mode

wood mode

with tiwire stakes

zelph

Re: FireMug KIT

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Really has come together quite nicely. Now you have to put the fire to it to get the color to change :mrgreen:

Happy Holidays to you also and to all a "Merry Christmas" :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Username75

Postby Username75 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:04 am

Nice concept Zelph
A muti purpose Volcano type Stove
With a Lid on the Cup with a
"D" type handle would be simple
like the old scout cookset had before the Plastic
lid handle
Merry Xmas ALL

Sam
p.s.
keep Me posted as A'm very interested in one.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:43 am

Username75 wrote:Nice concept Zelph
A muti purpose Volcano type Stove
With a Lid on the Cup with a
"D" type handle would be simple
like the old scout cookset had before the Plastic
lid handle
Merry Xmas ALL

Sam
p.s.
keep Me posted as A'm very interested in one.

It's the creation/development by cadyak. He's been working on this for at least a year.

cadyak, will you have some available for purchase in the near future?

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:55 pm

I dont have any of the KIT shown above for sale, I have three prototypes. It turns out that the new versions of these stainless pot/mugs are slightly smaller than the 3 old ones Ive had for close to 20 yrs. The newer bottoms are also slightly rounded ,very slick and dont sit near as stable as the old ones on a potstand. Id love to find a bunch of old ones. I actually have a another 24oz model stove that fits the new pots perfectly, so It may be that I could make a potstand that nests the smaller pots somehow for stablility. Thats why I have this in the "homemade stove ideas" forum. Hoping for some ideas. :)
I am saving up for a new tooling at a local metal machining shop to spin me new pots.
I really want to try out a couple of the different titanium solo type pots (without handles) around 500 to 600 ml. to see how they nest.

I do have several of the original firemugs for sale on EB. These do not include the pot, but consist of what you see below.

I also have 2 or 3 different types of smaller stoves that nest tightly into the BPL Trappers Mug.

Image\

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:51 pm

That is awesome. Really neat design.

How did you cut the hole for the fuel (big hole for sticks). I suppose drilling 4 holes combined with a jig saw or a dremel would do the trick.

EDIT: For the most part, just stick the stove down in the dirt a bit and you should have a good, stable platform. Otherwise, pile sand/rocks around the base.
What is the diameter of the bottom of the stove. Would be easier to find cans knowing that info. :geek:

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Happy New Year.
Thanks JollyRogers.
I use a step bit, tin snips, dremel, and a hand file for the stoking hole. The slight doscoloration around the whole is just sharpie and will disappear with the first burn.
I have recently switched to a round hole using a knockout bit at 1-1/8" dia. ( Faster, easier and more repeatable)

I saw a quote from ConnieD about her particular requirements in a stove. (I think it was in the Jack Stove thread) I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has a love for the aesthetics of a stove. That is really the reason why I keep plugging away at the same old thing. I just like they way they look, they are light and the shape really makes a very hot directed flame. I have some alcohol stove ideas, but havent felt driven to fiddle with them like I do with the wood stoves.

I have a week long trip with no shelters in the Smokies next week and and have been obsessing for months over my carried weight. First time using a frameless pack. I have decided to use one of my older UL Firemugs (1.8oz) with a Zelph Super Stove (1 oz maybe?) I tend to be a little more conservative with my fuel with the SS. I am carrying 6 oz of HEET for the week.
Last years trip had some nasty weather for most of the week but I was still able to cook almost every meal on the Firemug because I kept squirreling away dry wood and birch bark in a sack any time I saw some. (So much for trying to be light :) )
The superstove performed great in full conditions more than once so it is in the kit again.
I have been sleeping outside off and on for a month to test my new neo air. So far, So good.
It looks like I should be around 25-27lbs full skinout weight including 2L of water, spinning rod, outback oven and frying pan.
This is by 15-20 lbs or so the lightest I have traveled in winter.

Also, I never used any kind of stakes for stability for a long time and they are really not required. With them however, it would be hard to soccer kick the stove over. :geek:

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am

I decided to do things a little differently this hike. No store bought dehydrated meals. I have dehydrated most of the food that I will be carrying and have broken it down into portions that will rehydrate with 1-1/2 cups of water or less. I am using a 450 ml BPL Trappers mug for all of my boiling/cooking and hot beverages, but plan on only doing one or the other at a time instead of both. I tend to get dehydrated over the period of a long hike and I plan to drink water with my suppers this time instead of hot coffee. Also, switching from coffee to green tea with (god forbid) NO sugar. I am hoping to come back skinnier and pumped up for the feb. marathon.
That may not be possible if I am on the total trout diet for the first couple of days. :D I am taking some foil, olive oil and maybe a stick of butter?
Still looking for a way to carry some spices besides the old multi-spice dispenser thing. any ideas?

Here is my cook kit for the trip. weighs about 12oz including everything you see here with 4 oz HEET and the stuffsack.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:15 pm

I have some alcohol stove ideas, but havent felt driven to fiddle with them like I do with the wood stoves.

I need to get back to wood stoves, I like them more than alcohol ;) since I started vertical stacking and top lighting.

That may not be possible if I am on the total trout diet for the first couple of days. :D I am taking some foil, olive oil and maybe a stick of butter?
Still looking for a way to carry some spices besides the old multi-spice dispenser thing. any ideas?

Confidence!!! thats what I like to see in a fisherman. :D

Get the small free packets from fast food restaurants. Other spices can be kept in very small ziplocks. Craft stores sell them for "little" thing storage.

The drawings look like electrical outlet layout. You an electrician?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:32 pm

Super lightweight spice carrying idea I've seen(and used) is to get some straws(hopefully clear..grab a few extra during your next stop at McDonald's)..cut them into 3-4" lengths and cut two quarter inch long pieces off of those.Fold over the bottom end,slide a quarter inch sleeve on.Fill them up with your spices except a little at the other end which gets folded over and the 1 other 1/4" long piece slides over the ends to hold them shut.If the straws aren't clear,write on them with a felt pen what is inside..Take as many loaded straws as you need with a rubber band around them..Pull out what you want to add for flavoring(salt,pepper,garlic,dill,onion powder,secret spice,etc)..pull the 1/4" sleeve off,sprinkle what you want,fold the end again and slide the sleeve on again..then back in your "spice rack"... :lol:
You can keep a lot of spices in one small kit..and waterproof for the most part...or keep them in a baggie or small hard plastic pill bottle...cut to fit for length of course..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”