Alcohol coil stove. (picture heavy)

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Bfinnigan

Re: Alcohol coil stove. (picture heavy)

Postby Bfinnigan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:51 am

zelph wrote:........ What did you use as a gasket?...............

Just the neoprene gaskets they carry at auto parts stores. You may have to ask and they will bring a box of them out. Then if you bring the stove you can fiddle around and see which size fits the best. Inner tube will also work and hold up to the heat. Remember alcohol (ETOH) boils at 173 deg and methanol at 148 deg. The coil stoves are not going to get much warmer then that so there are a lot of materials that can withstand that heat. Most gasket sealers (Permatex formagasket etc) and JB weld easily handle those temp ranges and work great as sealants. Gasket sealers will allow you to undue the joint whereas JB is permanent. Unless you want to soak it in acetone for a couple weeks. :shock:
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:48 am

Looks good down inside the Kettle. Did you use a flame deflector/spreader on top of the flame to get it to touch the walls of the kettle?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:20 am

I just kept it away from the air intakes on the fire bowl. That way it wouldn't overheat and the flame would have good contact with the water jacket. Seems to have worked and I did it outside in the cold to duplicate actual use.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

nikos

Postby nikos » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:28 am

Very well done ! That's impressive !
I tried to make a simple one today. It works okay for 3 minutes (good flame, good heat) then die slowly...??!@?

Any idea ?

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”