The Mole Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Blazinator

Re: The Mole Stove

Post by Blazinator » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Well unfortunately I dont have a scale adequate for measuring ounces... :oops:

But I will do a burn test tonight as well as the seal test. How do you guys measure the alcohol? I'm assuming some sort of syringe? What units? I might make another one using the other side. I think it seals better and the lids fits flush with the can. The timer is a stop watch application for my android phone. ;)

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:21 pm

We used to use 28 pennies is an ounce years ago on a balance bar scale(yardstick?.. 12" each side of a fulcrum point?). :roll: ..for weight oz.Fluid ounces for alcohol..1/4 cup =4oz,1/2cup =8oz,etc..You can guess the rest.
Figure how many ozs fit in the tank..until the "wet" look appears on top of the insulation under the screen..divided into how many boils per tank before it goes dry..gives you a good idea of how much alcohol per boil.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:43 pm

I use little flexable measuring cups that measure in ML and in 1/4 ounce increments and also in drams. You can get them at pharmacies and hospitals/nursing homes, just ask a nurse for few freebies, I did got them along with a big smile. :D

No wonder you're short on funds.............an android phone eats money :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:06 am

Got some stuff done...It looks like the stove holds 4 1/4 fluid ounces when really full. 4 ounces if you don't want it leaking inside the lid. I filled it up completely and set it upside down with the lid on. (I made another stove using the reverse side...much better seal) It will let some alcohol seep by at a pretty slow rate. When it's not full to the point of alcohol leaking out of the fiberglass insulation material (4 ounces) the lid should do it's job perfectly.

I did a "realistic" burn longevity test where I filled it with 4 1/4 ounces of alcohol and lit it, boiled 2 cups of water, hit the lap button, paused the timer, then blew it out. After that I cooled the pot, pot stand, windscreen, and stove by dipping them in cool water. I then repeated the process without refilling the stove. I did this until I could no longer boil the water. Here are the results:

The times on the left are boil times for each pot of room temperature water. The times on the right are cumulative in relation to the lap. I was able to successfully boil 2 cups of water 4 times with a total effective burn time of 29m 8s. :DB: For some reason the second boil was very fast, then it slowly tapered off. I assume these correlate to the amount of fuel left inside the stove.

I also did a few other tests and filmed one of the boils. Watch the video below...someone explain to me what is going on with the flame inside the windscreen. It seems to go into some sort of afterburner mode after a few minutes haha. It works.... -shrugs-

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:58 am

More than likely the fuel is vaporizing more inside the windscreen,everything gets hotter.I find my two stage burner does that if I lower the pot to a certain point.The fuel seems to vaporize and light at the edge of the pot rather than the edge of the actual burner..must be where it hits oxygen.If I raise the pot more,the burner's flame goes down to its normal 1" diameter of the simmer mode.I can get a higher flame by just lowering the pot to say 1/2" from the normal 1" height for simmering.it does the same thing,increasing the heat and the flame size.For simmering I need to open the windscreen partially to keep the flame size down also.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:57 pm

Windscreens held too close to the pot will cause heat to radiate back to the stove and cause radical evaporating. Yours may have cause the fuel to expand and rise up over the top lip of the can and dribble down the side to make the flames come out the bottom holes. Keep the windscreen at least an inch away from the pot. When you are indoors doing tests don't use a windscreen.

Your stove averaged 2 cups boiled with 1 ounce of fuel. You have to do better :o

You may be losing a lot of fuel between cool downs to evaporization. You may have at least 1/2 ounce of fuel left in the bottom at the end of your testing due to the inability of the insulation wick material to bring the fuel to the top of the container.

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:41 am

zelph wrote:Your stove averaged 2 cups boiled with 1 ounce of fuel. You have to do better :o
Aww....I thought that was pretty decent. What does your infamous starlyte stove average? I have now heard my stove compared to yours by 3 different people lol...I had never even seen it before I set out on this misadventure. What could I do to make it more efficient?

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:28 am

To begin with, try your test again without the windscreen and cover it with something metal while in it's cool down mode.. Do that first and see what the results are.

Use denatured alcohol, more btu's for your buck :mrgreen:

Use smaller aluminum pot (2.5 cups)

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:56 am

You might try to find another metal lid for that cooldown..like a mayonaise jar lid.
The main thing is that you know you can probably get at least 5-6 meals out of the thing and have an idea of how long it'll last on an overnight trip or maybe 2 night trip(depending on your meals,time you go/return,etc).
Try again but spread the times of the burns as you would out in the field ..say give it an hour between burn times with the stove sealed after it has cooled down each time,actual field conditions.You need to know what it'll do outside verses in a controlled environment..if you are going to depend on it.Most stoves do better in testing than in the actual conditions.
I do carry a bottle of heet when I go hiking because I can tell exactly how much fuel I have left in the bottle and can regulate the use of the stove according to what fuel I have left.Not knowing the amount..can make the last meals cold or just energy bars and trail mix if the fuel consumption was more than planned in the beginning of the trip.
An advantage of a stove say like a trangia is the metal cap that can be put on quicker..as long as you wait long enough to not melt down its sealing ring in the cap.Use your hand to help abosrb the residual heat and seal the top..once it's cooled down to a point where you can use it.Melting your cap in the field enough that it leaks could be disastrous for a trip where you'd have to carry it in your hand (probably over a plastic bag)to prevent the fuel leaking out.That would be the last thing you would want.You may want to think about packing an extra cap for a spare if one starts leaking...and don't carry it over your sleeping bag. ;)

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:26 pm

Blazinator wrote:
zelph wrote:Your stove averaged 2 cups boiled with 1 ounce of fuel. You have to do better :o
Aww....I thought that was pretty decent. What does your infamous starlyte stove average? I have now heard my stove compared to yours by 3 different people lol...I had never even seen it before I set out on this misadventure. What could I do to make it more efficient?

Sorry, I spoke too soon.

If you think it's pretty decent and are satisfied with it then it's fine the way it is. Everyone has their own set of likes and dislikes. You're happy with it is all that matters. :D