Primer Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

Re: Primer Stove

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:16 am

:lol:
it works fine..I guess you can control the burn by removing the potstand,balancing the pot on the lid, and doing that for the simmer mode.It might not simmer down because the pot will be hotter at 212 degrees.The longer you leave the pot on there,the hotter it and the stove top gets,and probably the higher the flame,less difference in heat factors..Does that make sense?
Wobbly stand..try making one that sets on the top of the can but clips over the edges and down the sides a half inch or so,center of the stand recessed a bit so the pot rests on the outer points and not the center point..might be more stable.
I'd still play with finding the ultimate height for the potstand where the flames reach just to the outer edge of the pot.Slightly lower will increase the heat to the top of the burner and therefore increase the flame circumferance therefore increasing the overall heat and shortening the boil.At some height(probably two different ones) you'll get the minimum fuel use and get the shortest boil time.The compromise will get the best bang for the buck.
Looking at how the stove burns as it is,I think you can increase that heat by dropping the stand 1/2" or so...something you might want to play with.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:44 am

Some of my stoves I poked tiny holes in the top to mount the potstand in..makes it sturdier..You might try that.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:58 am

Thanks a lot. I need to get a base burn before I go tinkering...and I have 3 stoves to try out. (4 if you count the cap tea light ;) ) And...I'm out of fuel. :lol:

Potsand...
If I were a perfectionist, which I am not, I would ultimately try and mount some sort of folding pot stand on it. Three feet that mount on the outside edge of the can and fold in over the cap. Like the MSR Pocket Rocket:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor/static/images/stoves/87758.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.campmor.com/msr-pocket-rocket-stove.shtml&usg=__B1rFT1R_JowY9L9ARnSlnwnfg7U=&h=264&w=245&sz=6&hl=en&start=0&sig2=PGkYSpFAdJzSGaIT3PU8Pw&zoom=1&tbnid=57XOowvwClopvM:&tbnh=134&tbnw=118&ei=hYbfTI_pG8KcnweFzrCCDw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmsr%2Bpocket%2Brocket%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DX%26rlz%3D1C1GPEA_en___US311%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D685%26tbs%3Disch:1%26prmd%3Divs0,211&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=805&vpy=278&dur=6852&hovh=211&hovw=196&tx=141&ty=119&oei=hYbfTI_pG8KcnweFzrCCDw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:0&biw=1280&bih=685

But realistically, I think the stand I have now (design, not height) would work very well if it wasn't my first try ever, and if I spent more than 20 minutes on it. :lol: I have thought about putting the feet of the pot holder into 4 of the holes I already drilled.......

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:49 am

And...I'm out of fuel. :lol:

That's why I suggested holding the pot at different levels to get the best burn and height for a potstand..You will be burning lots of fuel and dollars doing a lot of long tests..My suggestions are there to help you keep the costs down,shorten the testing phase..I buy heet by the case when testing stoves.. :lol:
I drill tiny holes in the top where the potstand feet would go the size of the wire and push those feet down in 1/2" or so to a 90 degree bend in the legs..makes it pretty sturdy.
You may want to make one of the cone windscreens,helps stabilize the pot.If you have a lip on the pot,crimping the top edge of a cone will allow a little air flow around the pot and hold up your pot also at the right height..no need for a potstand.That's something I'm going to try next..make a cone and crimp the top edge of it for holding up a "ti" pot.I figure if I make the top end about 1/4-3/8" larger diameter,I can crimp it until it fits the pot perfectly.
I would like to get away from potstands altogether for certain pot/stove combos.

stevebo

Postby stevebo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:01 pm

I like the stove----------very simple! This summer I was inbetween stoves, and on a couple of backpacking trips used something similar--------just a metal cap for a stove (with a small amount of toilet paper in it for a wick) and 3 tent pegs for a stand. It wasnt fancy, but worked pretty good!----------I used an aluminum caplug (caplug.com )-----------they give out free samples. (unless you ask for too many and get cut off from the free sample program like me!) Lots of neat shapes-------lots of stove potential!

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:57 am

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:06 am

Looks like someone beat me to the original idea...far left.

http://www.amazon.com/Chafing-Fuel-Hour ... B0001MRW0S

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:06 am

yup, those have been around for decades! :lol: but yours is a DIY stove! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:50 pm

I got banned from my kitchen making one of those. It was the type that had a large wick that was pulled up when the cap was removed. It had a flaw that allowed the stove to blow the wick up and out just as my wife walked in the house thru the kitchen door. :roll:

Silver solder the pot support to the sides of a can cap and then drill out the solid part of the cap. That will allow you to screw the pot support onto the threads for maximum support :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:16 pm

But the upside of the original design is the fuel storage...and the jet version needs the cap to be closed to build positive pressure...

Here's some eye candy ;)

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”