Primer Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

Re: Primer Stove

Post by realityguy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:58 pm

You might find when you fill the stove it weighs a lot..but you don't need to pack a second container of fuel..one idea offsets the second..The height may feel too high and tippy.
If you need a wider burner..you could put a ring of tiny holes in the outer edge near the lip..but lose your ability to haul fuel in it.
Putting it out may be a pain but the lid will work for that as it sits..and melt your gasket doing so.A flat piece of metal will put out the stove...then use the cap when it's cooled..save your gasket.Because of the fiberglass in the container..you might find it hard to keep track of how much fuel is in there..but you can tip the can until you see "moisture" and get an idea of how much is left.
Is that what you want for feedback? :lol: I think a lot of things will come to you with experimentation with the stove.Keep in mind the higher the stove,usually the higher the windscreen,the higher the potstand,more material is needed(stove,windscreen,and potstand) and more weight(and less stability) because of the extra material..some of the reasons why people make lower stoves.
Give it a burn with heet and see what it'll do!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:32 am

Perfect :) Well....I made a pot stand of sorts haha XD It's my first one, so don't laugh too hard when you see it. Trying to boil 2 cups of water right now.....it's not fast lol. Would probably speed up with a wind screen...maybe.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:03 am

Judging from the flame, I'd say it will work fine but may be slow to bring water to a boil. Get some hardware cloth, make a pot support, and test it out so we can see the results. Good luck! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:48 am

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:53 am

It was a good learning experience. ;)

Pot support is too tippy :o Nicely made but too tippy.

It burns like the Ion Stove by sgt rock
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:54 am

I have to agree with Zelph. Your insulation is not wicking your fuel to the surface efficiently. Being you are using a tall container, you need the fuel to flow up at a better pace for a hotter burn. The fiberglass tiki wicks would work well. They are available at Wallyworld but are kind of seasonal. Twenty minutes is a long time to wait for water to boil and that is in a controlled environment. It seemed the stove/pot support was a bit unsready when you placed the noodles on it; probably from the height and narrow base. Keep working at it. It is doable. You might look for a shorter wider tin such as this:http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1292353
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:05 pm

I generally try to use a wider burner for boiling,say 1-1/2" across minimum..and use a 1" burner for a simmer mode,sometimes in the same stove.I find the rolled up fiberglass to be a better provider for flame and holds up better over the long run.This stove I've used a lot that has about a 2" outer burner around the perimeter and a smaller one with loose insulation inside for the simmer mode.That stuff just doesn't promote flames as well.The inner well does have a smaller roll of the cloth in the center and the other insulation to hold it centered..to burn better than loose insulation.

Look around that folder if you want some ideas..Borrow/steal( :lol: ) what you want for ideas.I don't sell stoves,just make them for my own use,occasionally give some away locally.
I think you are limiting yourself with the small diameter under the cap.It's nice having a container that will carry the fuel AND useful as a burner..but the cap/burner may need to be wider for it to work well.
The can is a steel Ikea "Spice Can"(search here) I find at the local thrift stores for dirt cheap.It makes a pretty good stove that'll boil in about 8 minutes and the inner well will continue to burn at a lower flame for 50 minutes on probably two ounces of heet.
For your stove,you may get a better burn if you get some of the fiberglass cloth and roll a bunch the size of the hole at the top of the can..stick that in and pull it out when you use it where it just barely hangs out the top(say 1/4") and flares out some to maybe a 1-1/2" burner size..should give you a wider,hotter burn(when you want it!..push it in flush for a simmer burn).Push it back in the can when in transport.I know it won't look as pretty as having the screen..worth a try..then decide.
Auto stores carry the fiberglass cloth by the bondo..Lowes should have it by the fiberglass stuff.You'll probably need a piece 4" wide x24-30" long.Take both side edges and fold them towards the center the long way.Then fold it in half so all the outer edges are inside and the roll is 1" high..Then just roll it up from one end.It does want to slide out of the roll shape,but as long as you have all the sides folded inward and just folds on the outside it'll work for you.You may want to blue tape the roll,shove a needle and thread through the roll and tie it across to keep it in the roll shape and not coming undone,then yank off the tape..something I thought of doing but never do. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:12 am

I had a fun day ;)

Now to do some test burns. :D

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:49 am

Okay..looks like we have another pyro on our hands!I like your fireproof table.. :lol:

Do this..either make a potstand that holds the pot 1/2" above the cap so the pot doesn't cool the can..or..check the burn holding the pot that 1/2" above the cap..See what it does.You should get a better hotter flame. Play with the distance to get the ultimate flame that covers the bottom of your pot by holding the pot above the cap at varying distances.That way you'll find the ultimate flame size and perfect potstand height.
Another option..see if you can find a small container that will just fit down the center hole of the can..for a second burner when you want to simmer something.You want something you can remove easy to fill the can,then store it in the center.When you only want a simmer mode,just fill/light the center container ONLY.
Keep in mind that the outer burner will cut off oxygen to the inner burner so therefore it won't burn at the same time as the outer one.The inner burner will only get oxygen once the outer burner is out of fuel and starts allowing the oxygen to reach the inner burner..which will automatically light the inner one.You can test this by holding a match head in the inner area of the outer ring of fire and the match body at the flame point will light before the more flammable match head in the void.
By adjusting fuel volumes between the two compartments,you can control the fire to get a good boil going and have the stove shift to keep a very light few bubbles to simmer your meal for 30-40 minutes or so after the outer ring of fire burns out.
That's the way my stoves operate..with two adjustable heaters in one..Of course yours will burn high for quite a while in the outer mode due to the large volume of fuel it holds,if you fill it.You'll need to do a lot of testing to see how much fuel the outer mode takes to boil water..make a note of that and see if you can get it to burn down at the time you want(just after it starts to boil),using only the appropriate amount of fuel and only a tiny bit more.Then you'll know how much to use to get a boil and then autoshift to the inner burner. Then you'll have a fully controllable stove with burn options.
One of the "sample" size shaving cream cans might fit the hole for an inner well..say 1-1/2" deep..or a metal 35mm film container(might be hard to find).Take a measurement of the hole and go shopping,see if you can find an adequate aluminum container to fill the hole.Good luck!

More about it here--->
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4493&hilit=sheba

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:02 am

Haha...my head just exploded. :lol: I hadn't thought of adding a container in the middle...I'm confused though, Besides being wobbly (not sure how or if I can fix that :? ) What is the problem with how it operates now? Say, use a pot stand to bring a boil, then place the pot on the lid for a simmer. I think I may cut the middle out of one of them in the future and use foil tape to re-join them. Shorter is always better. ;)

No comments for my improved original? I now have 3 variants of these little stoves decorating my workbench. Which is very flammable, yes. :lol:

SO....ADDICTING.... :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: