Primer Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Blazinator

Primer Stove

Postby Blazinator » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:35 pm

I was looking around on the net today and thinking about building one of these:

After looking around, I came up with this instead:

I have a slew of pictures of me making the thing, but I made a video that explains it easier:

I am very curious what you guys think about it. It holds a LOT of fuel. I have no idea what kind of burn time it has, I just finished it, and I don't have a pot stand or windscreen for it yet. Feel free to make one and beat me to the testing. ;) I think making a pot stand will take longer than than it did to make the thing lol.

zelph

Re: Primer Stove

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Great idea, nice container. The insulation material is not a good wicking material and thats why your not getting a large flame. Notice the large flame you get from the cap by it's self. A tiki wick will work better. fill the can with wicks in the vertical position. Your pot support will be tall and skinny? What is the height of the can?

The 1st photo will burn with a small flame like a teacandle. good for 1 cuppa something. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:59 pm

Looks like it's about 3 1/4" tall with the lid off and 2 1/8" wide. Really, feel free to elaborate and experiment to your hearts desire. I need to get a pot stand built before I can do any testing. I assume you probably have a few pot stands that will work sitting around somewhere this very moment haha.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:17 pm

A "few" is not the word :lol: too many is more like it :mrgreen:

Wht did you choose the tall can over the short cans of primer? Maybe I'm thinking of something other than primer in a shorter can. :?

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Yeah, I looked for a shorter can. I couldn't find one. they are generally tall and narrow to accommodate the dipping brush. You sometimes want to reach deep in them pipes. ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:27 pm

I usually use fiberglass cloth folded in quarters(for height,rounded over edge up),rolled, and the roll stuffed in vertically with the layers showing up.You might want to put a roll 1" high on top and stuff the bottom with the other stuff to save on cloth.Try making a potstand with hardware cloth from the bottom to about 1-1/2" above the stove..see how it burns.Then cut off a row of the 1/2" squares and test it again.At 1" above the stove it should produce a larger, wider flame and the stove will burn hotter,but for a shorter length of time..more spread.Try 1/2" and see what it does.Log the results(burn,boil,etc).Then you have a good idea for the final potstand needed for the best burn time verses heat put out verses shortest boil.
The galvanized harware cloth does come in rolls in the "vent" area for homebuilding..at about 8" high and usually 1/4" holes.Try not to breath the fumes though.Make test potstands out of bent coat hanger wire..that's cheap.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:29 pm

I think it was a "rubber cement" container or "contact cement"............I;m so confused :mrgreen:

I once considered cutting the top of an oil can off and solder it shut to make a burner of your type. I gave up on that thinking it would be too heavy.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:33 pm

With the edge lip,you can stand a potstand on top of the can..might be easier.I use curtain hooks for short potstands...Try these..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:36 pm

So predictions and feedback...is it a feasible design? Why or why not? How well do you think it will cook? Too big? FEEDBACK! I NEED FEEDBACK! :mrgreen:

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:38 pm

I like the lip idea.....hmmmmmmm.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”