Just another stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
benjybob

Just another stove

Postby benjybob » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:03 am

Thought I'd post a video of my own homemade stove. I've been playing around with these on and off for a number of years, and finally found a design that I can make reliably and pretty quickly (20 mins on a good day!). Stove design is nothing new, and is a combination of a few stoves designs I found.

Its made from 2 x 500ml cans of relentless. Its half filled inside with perlite, which after various tests of varying scientific rigour, gave a more consistant flame height and a longer burn time throughout the burn compared to the same design with no perlite. Unfortunately, I don't have the numbers to hand to back this up as it was qualitative testing, but I will be more thorough as time allows.

The video shows a few edits with 1 cup of water as a demo. The video was made as an advert, as I'm making and selling these stove to scouts as a fundraising activity for an international trip.

Other tests I've done have brought 2 cups of water to a rolling boil using 15ml of methlylated spirits. I've not tried any other fuels as yet, although I've been reliably informed they do not run on rakia. I've not completed 3 boils (atleast not with the same stove) so again need a bit more testing to quote a figure for comparison.

I've used this stove successfully whilst bivvying out, making a mushroom & precooked sausage ommlette in army messtins. I've also made a little grill which sits inside my mesy tin which allows me to cook toast, and even little pizzas inside which were great snack.

Anyway, enough rambling here is the video, and hopefully I post some more details when I have some time to test and take more video/photos.

zelph

Re: Just another stove

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:34 pm

benjybob wrote:sIt made from 2 x 500ml cans of relentless. Its half filled inside with perlite, which after various tests of varying scientific rigour, gave a more consistant flame height and a longer burn time throughout the burn compared to the same design with no perlite.

The video was made as an advert, as I'm making and selling these stove to scouts as a fundraising activity for an international trip.

Other tests I've done have brought 2 cups of water to a rolling boil using 15ml of methlylated spirits. I've not tried any other fuels as yet, although I've been reliably informed they do not run on rakia. I've not completed 3 boils (atleast not with the same stove) so again need a bit more testing to quote a figure for comparison.

I've used this stove successfully whilst bivvying out, making a mushroom & precooked sausage ommlette in army messtins. I've also made a little grill which sits inside my mesy tin which allows me to cook toast, and even little pizzas inside which were great snack.

Welcome to bplite benjybob :D

I'm really impressed how the perlite slows down the vaporization of fuel. I suspect your jets will clog after a while because of the fine particles that will come off the pieces of perlite. It's pretty fragile stuff.

You've successfully made one of my favorite omelet with the stove so I'm liking the stove already :D .

What is rakia?

We wish you well on your sale of stoves on behalf of the scouts. what is 5 pounds US currency?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

benjybob

Postby benjybob » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:10 am

£5 is just under $8 at the moment according to google, and the set up includes the mug that costs me between £1 and and £1.50 (~$1.50 - $2.50) depending on the which shops have stock at the time.

Including the mug has a few benefits, it provides tough shell to store the stove in your back pack to prevent damage and its also useful for instantly being to make a hot drink. I've also found some larger mugs (not shown in the video), which are the about the same size as some of the solo cooking pots I've seen (and bought!) and so can be used for some 1 cup recipes (porridge, cowboy beans, veg stew/soup).

I've already noticed that occasionally during a burn, a flame from one of the jets will flash orange, which I presume is are small pieces of perlite being ejected and burnt. A couple of times jet has become blocked, so that when the stove blooms, one jet doesn't ignite. Pretty easy to solve though, as a gentle tap with a utensil normally dislodges the blockage.

Rakia is a distilled spirit from plums made in (amongst other places) Serbia in Eastern Europe. One of the people who bought a stove was backpacking round Serbia, and was told it can used as fuel. Its pretty potent stuff and does burn, just didn't work in the stove. Something my friend decided to inform me from hundreds of miles away. So it was more of a throw away comment, than real info about fuels!

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:32 am

I like the concept of using perlite to slow down the vaporization. My first thoughts about jet blockage was due to my mind visualizing vermiculite. A totally different product having fine granules to block the jets. My bad!!! The perlite should be a lot better with few occurrences of blockage. They are easily fixed if they occur as you pointed out. Nobody will really miss one or two jets :mrgreen:

Thanks for the great tip to use the perlite. Keep us informed on your future tests and were glad to have you here. What country/city are you calling home?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”