A few "large scale" alcohol stove ideas

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Ridgerunner

Re: A few "large scale" alcohol stove ideas

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:54 am

I can see that starting the roll inward but how will it turn upward to make a double wall ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:44 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:I can see that starting the roll inward but how will it turn upward to make a double wall ?

The same way it does when you use the bottom of another can as the die(Which works pretty well, the roll diameter is just a bit tighter than I like, makes for a thin double wall). The Aluminum does not WANT to get smaller in diameter, so as soon as it's not forced to shrink, it will continue up at the same smaller diameter.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Vibe wrote:Hey Zelph.
I came up with a fairly quick way to make a die to roll the top on the Al bottles. I took a tuna/catfood sized can and melted a few wheel weights in it. Then I took the bottom of the bottle and pressed it into the molten lead and let it cool, which it does pretty quickly. After letting it cool enough to handle the radii at the bottom of this "die" are a bit more generous than the inside of a bottle bottom are. Now I just have to round up a few more bottles for test subjects. The wheel weight lead is hard enough to resist wear for a while...but when it does wear...just remelt it and reform.

Very good idea, keep us informed how well it works. It never crossed my mind to make a die that way...........Good thinking :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Watch red's video. He uses a single wall can around his alcohol burner to create "Jets" of flame by having air come in through the holes and combine with the vapors coming off the alcohol to give a cool visual fo the coooool "jets"

Now think of a single wall wood burner with holes at the top, the same affect happens. Same thing happens in a double wall stove, air enters and makes the cool looking jets. No majic there. No wood gas burning, just air entering into the existing flames and gasses coming off the burning wood. I have several single wall stoves in my collection somewhere that I will do aniother video to show the affect again with wood.

Red makes it happen with alcohol.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”