A few "large scale" alcohol stove ideas

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
redoleary

A few "large scale" alcohol stove ideas

Postby redoleary » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:51 am

I was just in the basement playing with fire (as I do) and just got to holding different pieces of various leftovers from others stoves over flames to see what would happen. I did some similar testing last winter, I'm just not completely convinced theres not a way to make some of this work. The venom bottle was new territory for me and that was pretty cool. I had tried most of these same tests with a Fancee Feest stove as well, and tried with packing it full of insulation to slow down the rate of fuel burn, but that didn't work very well. Also on youtube are the tests I did last winter under "alcohol stove secondary combustions tests" lots of water gets boiled,but nothing too spectacular. My chief hope is that maybe some of these ideas will spark a new idea in someone else and they can find a practical use for them :)

Thanks for watching.

Good luck,
RED

zelph

Re: A few "large scale" alcohol stove ideas

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:46 am

A great video that can have a profound influence on stove makers and pyro's

Thanks RED, that got my grey matter moving this morning :mrgreen:

I've got to boil some water using alcohol in the Woodgaz stove.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

redoleary

Postby redoleary » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks Zelph, I hope someone can do something useful with this info. It's prolly all been done before but its new to me :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:14 am

redoleary wrote:Thanks Zelph, I hope someone can do something useful with this info. It's prolly all been done before but its new to me :D

Someone will be able to use the info for sure. I like your OSHA approved fire proof table cloth :D

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:31 am

Nice video Red.

Would be interesting to see what happens as you shorted the length of the venom bottle. Maybe find the minimum length required to produce the effect.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

redoleary

Postby redoleary » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:14 am

sudden wrote:Nice video Red.

Would be interesting to see what happens as you shorted the length of the venom bottle. Maybe find the minimum length required to produce the effect.

Thanks. I thought about shortening the venom bottle but more than anything I was overcome by laziness!
I tried it with a Al. bud bottle about half the height but I think the problem with that is the outlet it too small?

Zelph, the "fire blanket" was more for hiding the mess on the work bench than safety ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Zelph, the "fire blanket" was more for hiding the mess on the work bench than safety ;)

I think all of us need one of those cover-ups. In my garage, I'm not able to keep a flat surface clear of stuff for more than 3 days. :roll: I can't believe I have so much "stuff"

I used an aluminum Budweiser bottle to create this flame thrower :lol:

redoleary

Postby redoleary » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:19 pm

Wow! How'd you do that?

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:50 pm

redoleary wrote:Wow! How'd you do that?

HehHeh, I'll tell when I get back next week ;)

Houston........we have flame liftoff :DBfire:

View the video one more time :D

Second thought.......a few more times :lol:

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:37 am

Hey Zelph.
I came up with a fairly quick way to make a die to roll the top on the Al bottles. I took a tuna/catfood sized can and melted a few wheel weights in it. Then I took the bottom of the bottle and pressed it into the molten lead and let it cool, which it does pretty quickly. After letting it cool enough to handle the radii at the bottom of this "die" are a bit more generous than the inside of a bottle bottom are. Now I just have to round up a few more bottles for test subjects. The wheel weight lead is hard enough to resist wear for a while...but when it does wear...just remelt it and reform.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”