Starburst Alcohol stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Pnw.hiker

Starburst Alcohol stove

Post by Pnw.hiker » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:14 pm

Here's a stove I made last night. Cut a star pattern into the bottom of a can and flatten the pedals as shown. Take a smaller can and cut the bottom for the fuel pan. Extremely simple.

Air is drawn in between the two can parts, so the outer has to be trimmed shorter than the pedals. Combustion surrounds the pedals which heat the fuel. It starts up very quick and only takes a few minutes to make. Boiled two cups on less than 1/2 oz (indoors, with my good pot stand and windscreen in place). Let me know what you think.
Attachments
Starburst_two.jpg
starburst_one.jpg

zelph

Re: Starburst Alcohol stove

Post by zelph » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Pnw.hiker wrote:Here's a stove I made last night. Cut a star pattern into the bottom of a can and flatten the pedals as shown. Take a smaller can and cut the bottom for the fuel pan. Extremely simple.

Air is drawn in between the two can parts, so the outer has to be trimmed shorter than the pedals. Combustion surrounds the pedals which heat the fuel. It starts up very quick and only takes a few minutes to make. Boiled two cups on less than 1/2 oz (indoors, with my good pot stand and windscreen in place). Let me know what you think.
I think that's great.....nice design. Actually, it's a super great design......it boils 2 cups on less than 1/2 ounce of fuel....that's what we all strive to do. Bravo!!!!!

And most important......it's a one piece stove :D

We think your first post is very impressing, welcome to the forums !!!!! :D :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pnw.hiker

Post by Pnw.hiker » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:58 pm

just tinkering wrote:That is a very nice design! What is the air gap between the two halves?
Bud can 2-1/2" O.D., RedBull fuel pan 2-1/4" O.D., 1/8" gap. The outer stands about 1/8" above the ground.

Holds 2 oz, but I only use 1/2oz at a time.

This design is totally un-optimized, this is the first one. But it only take 15 - 30 sec. for the fuel to start sizzling and boiling. Combustion occurs all around the pedals, front and back, so shape them with a needle nose pliers to stand in from the fuel pan.

It's very difficult to blow out, and if I try to snuff it out the flame comes out the bottom. The pedal tips are seated in the trench of the fuel pan, all the way down.

<edit>
Below is a picture of the flame pattern, with the pot a little too high, but you can see the burning action around the pedals. (sorry about the poor image quality, only have a webcam at the moment)
Attachments
Starburst_three.jpg

Pnw.hiker

Post by Pnw.hiker » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:22 pm

zelph wrote:I think that's great.....nice design. Actually, it's a super great design......it boils 2 cups on less than 1/2 ounce of fuel....that's what we all strive to do. Bravo!!!!!
I found the boiling rates highly dependent on the pot and stand. My three cup ($1.97 walmart aluminum mug) came to boil between 5:00 and 5:30 minutes, with a full rolling boil for another :30 seconds before the the stove went out (1/2 oz. fuel charge, 2 cups water).

My 5 cup ($2.97 walmart aluminum mug) was just starting to boil at 4:00 when the stove went out (1/2 oz fuel charge, 2 cups water)

<edit>
my potstand/windscreen kinda surrounds the bottom inch of the pot for good heat transfer. I don't think it would perform as well with just a pot stand and no windscreen.
zelph wrote: And most important......it's a one piece stove :D
haven't glued it together yet :) hope it still works afterwords.
zelph wrote:We think your first post is very impressing, welcome to the forums !!!!! :D :D
thanks !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Oops, I spoke to soon :D :D It's a 2 piece stove, requires separate pot support. :o

Still, it's a nice design. Looks like it's going to burn hot.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:04 am

Welcome aboard!..is the "pnw"..as in pacific northwest?..if so, where...? I am..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Pnw.hiker

Post by Pnw.hiker » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:24 am

realityguy wrote:Welcome aboard!..is the "pnw"..as in pacific northwest?..if so, where...? I am..
yes, oregon

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:11 am

Welcome aboard pnw.hiker :D Nice first stove posting. Are you using hardware cloth for a potstand? The one in your last pic looks extremely lightweight! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:12 pm

However,that potstand appears easy to store and pack though,just put it in your pocket!..but just a tad inconvenient when you have to be elsewhere for the moment.

No,we aren't making fun of you..just wondering what you plan to use for one... ;)
Still wondering if you are around Seattle...off to work..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:22 pm

I found the boiling rates highly dependent on the pot and stand. My three cup ($1.97 walmart aluminum mug) came to boil between 5:00 and 5:30 minutes, with a full rolling boil for another :30 seconds before the the stove went out (1/2 oz. fuel charge, 2 cups water).
Aluminum pots are the best. Your boiling times are just where you want them ;) . Out in the field you'll be using a windscreen/shield to maintain a boil.

Your burner is a success :D couple it with a lightweight pot support and you got yourself a first class stove. Burner + pot support = Stove ;)