Canteen cooking (the Simply Smashing stove)

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Ridgerunner

Re: Canteen cooking (the Simply Smashing stove)

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri May 21, 2010 11:46 pm

just tinkering wrote:How does the stand support the stove? The other ones that I have seen were open on the top and bottom and you removed the stand from the canteen and inverted the stand to hold the pot.
I am not military so here is my best assumption :roll: The cup must hang by the handles in the burner cup. If you hang the cup so it fits inside the burner cup in the same kidney formation, there is about 1 1/4" from the bottom of the cup to the raise portion of the burner platform. If you side the cup inside the burnercup in the opposite direction like my one pic, then there is about 1 3/4" from the bottom of the cup to the raised platform at the bottom of the burner cup. One other possibility would be to put a couple tent stakes across the top of the burner cup and have about 2 3/4" distance including stakes.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat May 22, 2010 11:42 am

Your right Daren. It must be Stainless steel as it is just too heavy to be aluminum. Here is a pic to the burner/cup setup from a military surplus store.
http://www.imsplus.com/image.php?object ... ndow=popup
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed May 26, 2010 11:26 pm

JT sent me a stove to test using the military cookset. The stoves height did not allow the cup to be nestled on the cooking base as it would sit directly on the stove. I put a couple tent stakes across the top of the cooking base to give a more desirable heigth. I used 2 cups of 60* tap water in a 85 degree garage. I only did one test this evening using 1/2 methonal spirits(Heet). The stove had a nice flame pattern and got the water to start tiny bubbles moving but did not make a rolling boil. JT, is there any variable you would like me to test out tomorrow?
ImageImageImageImageImage

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Thu May 27, 2010 9:08 am

There is another stove setup. It's basically just a piece of metal shaped just like the canteen with a hole cut in the bottom. Let me see if I can find a picture.

Just another option.

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Thu May 27, 2010 2:58 pm

It is a very nice, robust complete system. However, it is NOT light. You should be able to get a good deal for the whole setup though.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu May 27, 2010 7:54 pm

I did some more testing with the stove today. I decided to use a very lightweight aluminum pot instead of the SS military cup. 1/2oz Heet,2 cups H2O. I placed the pot directly on the potstand. Results were about a 6 min. burn and bubbles in the bottom but no boil.
ImageImage
I then raised the pot close to 3/4" above the burner and repeated the test. The results were about the same.
ImageImage
For the next test I repeated the particulars but raised the pot to almost one inch above the burner. Results were similar but the water was steaming and it was getting close to a boil. 3/4 ounce would have done it for sure.
ImageImage
The next test I tried with this setup was to use the SS military cup at one inch off the burner top and 3/4 oz of Heet. The results were very close to a boil 208* at flameout.
ImageImage
The bubbles were very active and I should have had the camera ready but when it flamed out, the water settled before I could snap a pic. :oops:

backwoods

Post by backwoods » Mon May 31, 2010 8:28 pm

just tinkering wrote:So, my read on this is that Simply Smashing with the GI cup has OK performance, nothing spectacular. I was hoping for better than 3/4 once to bring 2 cups to boil. Oh well. Thanks so much for all of the testing, I wish that the results were better,

Hi.

This smashed stove idea is fairly good.

If you were to make and oval or squared ring in much the same manner as the trangia clone stoves with the notches at the bottom, and slip it into the smashed , add 5-6 holes just below the taper apex on either side. You might get a hotter flame.

It would end up being a trangia clone with a rectangular head instead of round.