Field test: isopropyl alcohol, small stoves

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Q_x

Field test: isopropyl alcohol, small stoves

Post by Q_x » Sun May 09, 2010 4:58 pm

also blanked, sorry
Last edited by Q_x on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Delete this account, please

Q_x

Re: Field test: isopropyl alcohol, small stoves

Post by Q_x » Sun May 09, 2010 5:00 pm

:cheers:
Last edited by Q_x on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Q_x

Post by Q_x » Mon May 10, 2010 1:12 pm

also blanked, sorry
Last edited by Q_x on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon May 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Q_x wrote:Small update. Tomato.
I did another attempt at making chimney for tealight. It burns in "good enough" degree. It nearly boils 100ml of water on 5ml of fuel (flame out at the "cracking water" stage). Not a frugality master, but it works really well.
This is stainless steel, Redbull size can, tomato juice is just not fitting my taste well.
Here you have the photo of the Tomato with the tealight.
100_4192.jpg
Are holes required at the base of the Redbull size can?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Q_x

Post by Q_x » Tue May 11, 2010 2:27 am

Last edited by Q_x on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue May 11, 2010 3:50 pm

I like what's happening with these stoves. I'd like to know "why" they work, why no soot. Your small diameter stove had no smell, what is the science behind the workings. we want to know :D

Q_x

Post by Q_x » Wed May 12, 2010 1:54 am

Last edited by Q_x on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

sudden

Post by sudden » Wed May 12, 2010 9:18 am

http://www.cssci.org/

Lots of combustion discussion at this site. I posted one of their designs in stoves with character but there is some real science being done on combustion of all types including iso
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Q_x

Post by Q_x » Tue May 18, 2010 5:18 am

Last edited by Q_x on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue May 18, 2010 11:48 am

Q_x wrote:I was unable to find any valuable information there, just plain official things. Do I have to hike there and talk to them in person? Or maybe I'm missing something very important due to using pretty rare type of browser (Iron)?
Use the Force, Luke" "Q_x"

Be like Yoda, use your inner powers to assimilate knowledge :D
Conclusions:
I have two tomato juice cans on my shelf now - Redbull size, made of steel. I will make pressurized stove out of two bottoms - just to have it, this single piece, to last for years and to never ever make pressurized stove again.

None of small design stoves eliminated soot in 100%. Some of them burn really clean so that I would consider backpacking it (esp. CU + Ti makes a good combo) Wind vulnerability, slow or fast combustion - something is wrong every time, and the sweet spot likes bigger stoves better. Chimney stoves, those with internal combustion, are looking better than anything else I tested here.

The Cone Zone fork I made is pretty much most reliable and clean stove I've tried so far. It lights up quickly, doubles as a pot stand and it never goes crazy due to wind.

Cu piece works great, but it will be improved and replaced with time. I plan to make another "chimney" for Absolut Tealight a.k.a. Ti, so that I can have a tealite stove and I can turn it into iso-burning solution whenever I wish.

I will try again to make a stove with cat-o-fire'ish action, but not scaled down (like Mg was), instead I will just make the smaller diameter and standing legs instead of can placed inside, just like Cone Zone or Cu have (so I will go back to the design resembling Cone Zone).

I'm not a machinist, I did some stoves nice and some - crappy. Sorry if you don't like how it is made, i don't like it too - esp. the Cu piece - it looks like an orchid :o) but does wonders.
I'm also not a native English speaker - don't laugh at my mistakes, try to learn Polish instead!
Your summary is very informative and will be a great help to our viewers. It gives a feeling of what it's like to design and through trial and error learn how to progress.
I'm also not a native English speaker - don't laugh at my mistakes, try to learn Polish instead!
We don't laugh, just have a big smile now and then :D You're one step ahead of many of us, we only speak one language. We enjoy everything you've shared with us. It's all here in the written word to remain until the "main frames" meltdown.