sheba 2..two stage stove..

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

sheba 2..two stage stove..

Post by realityguy » Sun May 02, 2010 12:58 pm

New stove idea...
For people that don't know me well...This is my latest stove,Sheba 2,made up yesterday over a period of an hour and a half or so(while waiting for craigsters to show up):

Basically.. a 2oz(I'm not a gram weenie rather have something that fits my needs)two stage wick burner with a removable potstand that I can use any pot on,or any combination of kitchenware for the purpose I need(pudding ring set,stainless decanter w/double deep muffin set,larger pan,frypan,my 2 or 3qt aluminum bear container,etc).I try not to limit my burners to one purpose and what goes on top of them.
This had an outer burner ring about 2" in diameter for boiling and high heat and also an separate inner burner approximately 1" in diameter for a light simmer,however the inner burner "well" for fuel is about 1-1/2" across to hold more fuel for a longer simmer mode when needed.The inner burner head can be easily changed to a larger diameter just by a little sanding of the top rim to say 1/4" wider if the heat factor isn't quite high enough for my needs(I haven't fired up the simmer mode in this stove yet.
Boil times/fuel(16oz water,60 degree) seem to be about 5/8 oz heet with 7-1/2-8minutes.
The potstand is removable to make the stove more compact.
I could probably raise/lower the potstand for a more efficient burn,now about 1" above the burner,however it seems to shift modes better at this point so I'm keeping it there.
Materials:1 sheba cat food can,1 inner "milk talc" aluminum bottle(rite-aid) using the top and bottom thirds,fiberglass cloth wicking, some stainless mesh from an old kitchen sieve, and the potstand is made from the metal piece under the sieve that protected the mesh from getting bent up..No jb weld,etc..so I can dismantle any replace anything that ever needs to be replaced(say if you step/fall on the sheba can during a long thru trek,easily fixable)..as I usually make my stoves.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Re: sheba 2..two stage stove..

Post by realityguy » Sun May 02, 2010 1:08 pm

I'm going out here for the day for a testdrive of the new stove..might be making coffee,baking,etc..not really sure as the person I'll be hiking with I've never met..just a partner from nwhikers.com that lives near my other place..
http://tinyurl.com/24qr5lb
Hopefully things will work out well for us and we can carpool and do the thru-hikes on the beaches this year..and maybe some in the Olympic National Park higher regions.Sounds like he's roughly the same age and abilities..and lives in the area..That's the key I haven't been able to find until now!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun May 02, 2010 11:12 pm

Late in the evening for me to read and comment, will return tomorrow :D gnight
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon May 03, 2010 10:36 am

Cancelled the trip. :cry: .rain coming down in buckets around here..Will go next week...

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon May 03, 2010 6:01 pm

realityguy wrote:Cancelled the trip. :cry: .rain coming down in buckets around here..Will go next week...
Oh yes, rainy Washington State.......It's suppose to rain at night and get sunny in the morning and stay dry all day. ;)

Nice pot support rig you got on the stove, I like it. :D

It seems like it would be constantly noisy around your place with all the arches having waves breaking on them all the time....is it?

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon May 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Nice pot support rig you got on the stove, I like it. :D
:lol: It's made out of the cross support piece under the kitchen sieve I cut the mesh out of..you didn't recognize that?You must be buying walmart ones that probably don't have anything to protect the mesh.. ;)
It seems like it would be constantly noisy around your place with all the arches having waves breaking on them all the time....is it?
"Your place"?..My place is a long ways from salt water on the straights..around a mile as the crow flies..Only noise I get is logging trucks...
If you are talking "at the arches"(or on the ocean beach anywhere)..lulls you to sleep.. ;)

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon May 03, 2010 9:31 pm

just a partner from nwhikers.com that lives near my other place..
http://tinyurl.com/24qr5lb
you gave the link to your other place in the above comment.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon May 03, 2010 10:00 pm

That link is Point Of the Arches(google) out on the coast.I've been to Shi-shi Beach,but not a mile or two down the beach to the Arches..what i was planning for tomorrow..rain,rain,rain..and maybe a bit of thunder and lightning mixed in..no thanks...

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon May 03, 2010 11:44 pm

Hmm..put probably 1oz(guess) fuel in the inner chamber only and the stove burned for 34 minutes and 45 seconds..probably 25 minutes of that along the outer edge! :o I used a thinner stainless pot than I normally do for baking and it kept the gases burning at the outer edge rather than farther in under the pot..guess I'll have to raise the pot..from about 5/8".I added about 1/4" of water to the top of my potstand and my muffin didn't get done as much as I had hoped.I also added about 1/2 a banana to the batch..probably too much..Oh well. :roll:

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue May 04, 2010 9:36 am

I also added about 1/2 a banana to the batch..probably too much..Oh well.
It was the banana :D that caused the failure but added to you knowledge base. :mrgreen: