Tiny forced capilary action stove.

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
backwoods

Tiny forced capilary action stove.

Post by backwoods » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi.

A while back i came across a stove on i believe was spiritburner forums.

There was little info on the stove apart from a photo.

I wanted to attempt to build one of these stoves. However i was never able to get the info i needed.

Here are the details.

#1: Stove made for US military.
#2: Stove is about 1.5 inches tall.
#3: Stove burns Jp4 or JP8 or diesel fuel.
#4: Usually bundled with the common US military cantine pot as a mess kit.

I can't find the photo, nor is the article still on SB forums (site crashed, lost a-lot of data).

Some how the tiny stove can turn diesel like fuel into a daisy shaped blue flame.

Perhaps this stove never made it to production. I simply do not know what happened.

However i am curious as to what the idea was behind it.

Any one hear of this?

Thanks.
Last edited by backwoods on Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zelph

Re: Tiny forced capilary action stove.

Post by zelph » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:12 am

Great idea but we are not likely to find the approprate materials at Home Depot or ACE hardware.
Bummer!!!! Wonder if all the bugs have been worked out yet.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 am

i first saw that stove years ago and have kept an eye on MSR to see if they actually ever take it to market. not yet. :(
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:34 am

DarenN wrote:i first saw that stove years ago and have kept an eye on MSR to see if they actually ever take it to market. not yet. :(
I would speculate there is a problem with ceramic generator clogging and not being readily field serviceable. My 2 cents
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

stevebo

Post by stevebo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:29 am

I came across some very interesting info about this stove several months ago on another forum . As far as I can recall, the stove was developed for the U.S. military and a small batch of stoves (prototypes) were produced for field testing for special forces troops. There were a few issues with the stove---it works, but since you have a ceramic wick soaked in fuel, even after you have turned the stove off, it tends to contaminate what ever container you store it in, pack, cook kit etc. (kind of like having a rag soaked in fuel ) I kind of got the impressi0nn that this was a pretty big issue. They were actually selling some of the prototypes as military surplus on ebay. (maybe listed under "capillary action white gas stove" or capillary action stove"?? ) I saw the ad on ebay maybe 6 months ago? I want to say the price was around 60 or 70 bucks. Sounds like a really cool idea, but I dont think you'll be seeing it in stores any time soon! I wish I had book marked the website, but like so many other cool things I find in my internet wonderings, I said to my self "that was pretty cool---Ill remember where I found that site"---and I have absolutly no idea where the website was located!