Wick material

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
ReadyEdge

Re: Wick material

Post by ReadyEdge » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:59 pm

Don't know about those westerners but it sure is true for us Appalachian folk, flat land makes me queasy! LOL :D
A day without mountains is like......night!

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:15 pm

ReadyEdge wrote:Don't know about those westerners but it sure is true for us Appalachian folk, flat land makes me queasy! LOL :D
Your signature made me think west. PA has rolling hills, not mountains. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:00 pm

PA has rolling hills, not mountains.
You wont think that standing at the bottom of a hollow and then climbing to the top of the ridge. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ReadyEdge

Post by ReadyEdge » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:03 pm

You got that right Ridgerunner! Some of the climbs on the Black Forest & Laurel Highlands trails spring to mind, not to mention the rocks. There is a reason AT hikers call PA the state where knees go to die!...LOL
A day without mountains is like......night!

four-o

Post by four-o » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:16 am

Hello everyone, all i can say is WOW. I love this site!!! I have been tinkering with a few stoves recently, most the tpyes with jets but now am looking to try my hand at wick stove. I just read that Zelph uses muffer wrap and I will give that a try as I have already gotten some fiberglass cloth, Fiberglass rope 3/8 and 1/2" flat for the hardware stove for sealing woodburning stoves. My question is what type of muffer/exhast wrap does he use? Will the lava exhast wrap work?
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- ... Id=1414826
Or is there something better? Any help would be great.

Thanks Four-O

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:40 am

You'll have to wait for zelph's answer on that tape.I've used fiberglass cloth for my stoves and its always held up fine for me.Generally I take about a 4" wide strip and fold the unraveling edges inward to the midpoint,then folded in half to make a 1" high strip with the folds out..roll it up like that.Adjust the width of the strip you cut to 4 times the height needed..I find the metal bar of my sheet metal bender handy in holding one side down while I'm folding the other.Good luck.
Word here in the mid west is that anyone from out west gets lost easily when they come into the prairie states. without a mountain range to look at they're disoriented. Is that true? :D
Heck,Zelph..here in Seattle we can see a long ways north and south with the mountains only on the east(cascades) and west(olympics).Is it true you have a hard time telling direction unless you can see what side the moss is on the corn?
;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:09 pm

Is it true you have a hard time telling direction unless you can see what side the moss is on the corn?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

four-o

Post by four-o » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:33 pm

Thanks realityguy I will wait to hear form zelph about the lava wrap and I have some fiberglass cloth I can try ur trick with..I was wondering how I was going to deal with the frayed ends, thanks a lot, was like a light bulb went off after reading how you tucked the cloth in on itself...and let me tell you the light bulb is gettin dim.
Four-o

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:07 pm

We're all "dim" at times around here..don't feel like the Lone Ranger in that category!Now..what were we discussing? :roll:
:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:02 pm

four-o wrote:Hello everyone, all i can say is WOW. I love this site!!! I have been tinkering with a few stoves recently, most the tpyes with jets but now am looking to try my hand at wick stove. I just read that Zelph uses muffer wrap and I will give that a try as I have already gotten some fiberglass cloth, Fiberglass rope 3/8 and 1/2" flat for the hardware stove for sealing woodburning stoves. My question is what type of muffer/exhast wrap does he use? Will the lava exhast wrap work?
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- ... Id=1414826
Or is there something better? Any help would be great.

Thanks Four-O
Glad you like the site :D

I use common stuff sold on ebay. I buy the large rolls of 2" x 50feet. Black in color. Small rolls are available at local automotive stores. The Lava wrap looks like it would work. Says it 25% stronger.

Hey Realityguy, we use cornfields like GPS units. :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/