Wick material

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
four-o

Re: Wick material

Post by four-o » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:30 am

Thanks for the info zelph I looked up the wrap on ebay and found it and of course it brings up another question.. 1/16 or 1/8? Do you use 1/16 and wrap it 2 times or 1/8 and wrap it once? Would there be a difference in the way two layers abosrb and burn the alcohol compared to one? Also I love your site... those fosters cans with ridges are AWSOME!!!
Thanks four-o

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:15 pm

Hey Realityguy, we use cornfields like GPS units. :mrgreen:
Midwest "GPS".."Take the left just past the Olsen's red mailbox..then proceed straight until you get to the broken down gate by the cornfield that has jus' been plowed..go over three more silver queen cornfields to the new sprouts of early sunglow..turn right there after a short 2 miles or so..past the old white bull(You can tell he's a BULL! :shock: )..then look for the barn with the blue tarp after the one with the brown tarp.Another mile and you'll see the broken down tractor minus the tire with the grass growing higher than the seat..Look to the left..If you see a teepee,next to the hammock..you've gotta be in the wrong spot..He ain't ever gonna finish those.. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:45 pm

four-o wrote:Thanks for the info zelph I looked up the wrap on ebay and found it and of course it brings up another question.. 1/16 or 1/8? Do you use 1/16 and wrap it 2 times or 1/8 and wrap it once? Would there be a difference in the way two layers abosrb and burn the alcohol compared to one? Also I love your site... those fosters cans with ridges are AWSOME!!!
Thanks four-o
The amount of wraps will definately make a difference in how the fuel is released. Exhaust wrap releases faster than the cloth. 2 wraps around for the Super Stove types using 1/8. You can make a stove in many different configurations. The fun is in the designing. Chose the pot you like and then design the stove to fit the pot. Not meaning to fit inside the pot ;)

You see, Reallityguy has been in the midwest and knows how to use the "C" field GPS system :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:41 pm

If you see a teepee,next to the hammock..you've gotta be in the wrong spot..He ain't ever gonna finish those..
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cuz, we aren't the seamsters that you are. Don't want to bite off more than he can chew. Too much stove gear to make and sell for the XMAS holiday. :lol: He may have to start hiring some elves to take some of the load off the build process. What do you have going on for the next few weeks, Cuz? :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:12 pm

What do you have going on for the next few weeks, Cuz? :lol:
..just doing everything possible to avoid the Christmas Zombies... :roll: :evil:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:31 pm

My daughter and son-in-law are returning in the first part of January. Maybe some relief then. :?

kcatto

Post by kcatto » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:00 am

I used asbestos fabric in my little micro starlyte stove works great.... Does anyone know what is in the SVEA trangia stoves? they wick and seem to release well...

I have been playing with some stuff that is used for emergency insulation in airplanes. When wet, it becomes jelly, but dry is very light and almost weightless.... so as you add fuel it would swell and wick without fear of spilling.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:07 pm

kcatto wrote:I used asbestos fabric in my little micro starlyte stove works great.... Does anyone know what is in the SVEA trangia stoves? they wick and seem to release well...

I have been playing with some stuff that is used for emergency insulation in airplanes. When wet, it becomes jelly, but dry is very light and almost weightless.... so as you add fuel it would swell and wick without fear of spilling.
In a military trangia there is a cloth that looks like linen. The material is not exposed to direct flame so it works for it's intended purpose.

Where in a plane is emergency insulation needed? Hope to hear more on your experiments. Sounds sci-fi :D

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:05 am

a svea wick can be replace with a all cotton mop strings
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:51 pm

oops56 wrote:a svea wick can be replace with a all cotton mop strings
Those mop strings make great char spark catchers. Put 6 in an aluminum tube that is 4-5 inches long with 2 inches hanging out the end. Push the strings so 1/2 inch sticks out the other end and light them till they get burned good and then grab the other end and pull the lighted ones into the tube to snuff them out. Push the chared strings out to expose 1/4" and throw some sparks onto it, they catch sparks real easy.