Windscreen impact on stove perfromance

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: Windscreen impact on stove perfromance

Postby zelph » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:27 pm

The whole concept of pre-heating the air deserves more attention and could yield some great stove designs.

Cold air contains more oxygen. Automotive engine air intakes are located as far away from the engine as possible to insure cold air is taken into the fuel injecting system. Should we have the same goal for stove making? I think air temperature has little significance in the performance of backpacking stoves. Double walled wood burning stoves come to mind. My tests proved to me that there was insignificant effect on the stoves performance compared to a single wall.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Perhaps the air being slowed down with less inlet air should create higher temperatures before it leaves the vicinity of the pot also...Does that make sense?You'll have to excuse me;I'm drinkin' melon margaritas... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:15 pm

just tinkering wrote:I tend to agree with your statements. Inlet air temperature may be a factor (hot or cold) , the angle of approach may be a factor. That is why I think that the Air Barrier concept needs to be explored as I think that there are good things going on this this design.

The second thing that the air barrier does is that it guides the inlet air in towards the stove perpendicular to the flames. I suspect that the flames running out from the bottom of the pot are pre-heating the inlet air going towards the stove. This effect is pronounced on the ACORN and Tea Light stoves and less so on other types. The whole concept of pre-heating the air deserves more attention and could yield some great stove designs.

I would think incoming air would follow the path of least resistance, upward along the sides of the pot.

It's hard for me to envision the flames running out from the bottom of the pot are pre-heating the air. I see the entire air space between air barrier and pot being heated by radiation off the windscreen. This would cause the fuel temperature to rise and rapidly evaporate and burn faster. More fuel being burned would cause a reduction in boil times.

SuperCat stoves burn fast, boil 2 cups in about 4 min. I think they burn in a "radical" fashion :D

Your windscreen concentrates the heat around the pot, adds to efficiency.

I'm still thinking :mrgreen:

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:39 pm

That was a tease.

Will you test boil times with the various height differences?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:54 pm

Without the air barrier longer to boil but more fuel efficient?

It was interesting to see the effect the barrier height had on flame shape............let's call the barrier a "shape shifter" :mrgreen:

Thanks for the interesting video, I enjoyed :D

ShakeyJke

Postby ShakeyJke » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:52 pm

NA
Last edited by ShakeyJke on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:10 pm

It appears to me that the different heights change the surface area of the stove that is exposed to radiant heat. The higher position appears to be a cooler flame perhaps because the stove is not getting as much heat radiated back into the stove thus reducing the rate of alcohol vaporization.

ShakeyJke

Postby ShakeyJke » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:45 pm

NA
Last edited by ShakeyJke on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Stability is overrated, some system level testing is overratted.

Just kidding, glad you were able to finalize your testing. Great results, super looking stove :D :D Nice job on the wick tube.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”