Windscreen impact on stove perfromance

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: Windscreen impact on stove perfromance

Post by zelph » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:40 pm

Wick based stoves do not seem to be greatly impacted by higher internal temperatures. The Super Stove and my Day Tripper II stoves boiled water and burned fuel at about the same rate.
That's interesting........I've only tested the StarLyte stove inside a clone. I modified it to slow it down. I suspect a cut down version of the Super Stove would work well.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:36 am

I enjoy your videos, like the format/information text layout. :D
Boiling 2 cups of 70F water required an additional 2ml for a total of 18ml to reach a boil.

In still air 16ml of fuel was used.
The amount of holes and placement seems to lessen the screens ability to be efficient in moving air conditiosns.

Boiling times were reduced but fuel efficiency reduced in windy conditions.

What are the statistics on the same windscreen without the thermal barrier? Amount of fuel used with and without barrier, any numbers on that? (no breeze)

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Cover up the 3rd row of holes from the top and then test........then cover up the 2nd and 3rd row and test to see what the diff is.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:32 pm

all stoves show benefits though some more than others.
Why some, more than others?

Nothing changes in the windscreen, air barrier. You would think the benefits would be equal :? hmmmmmm!!!

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:32 pm

I would think some stoves may heat up more than others gasifying the fuel better,creating higher heats coming out of the stoves.I know my shebas go crazy with windscreens and it changes their characteristics so bad i have to open them up to burn properly.The "center" burn turns to an "outer" burn,flame colors change..burn times change drastically...verses some of my other two stage ones...
I've found I need to raise the pot and open the windscreen to make them even go to simmer mode sometimes..
I think the thickness of the stove walls..materials they are made of will probably make a large difference between the stoves..rather than having the same increase in burns using windscreens on all stoves..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:44 am

...windscreen affect airflow, totally, and the temperature of the sides, if not the specific model stove, the cooking pot if the windscreen comes up the sides of the cooking pot.

I think that can, and should, be optimized.

Nice video, just tinkering.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:37 am

just tinkering,

My favorite is the Vargo Titanium 750 ml cooking pot.

If you check the link, you will see it has a smaller 4-inch bottom and tapering 2-inch high walls up to a 6-inch opening at the top for more versatile cooking than just boiling water, in my opinion. It is titanium, of course.

I like it with the conical windscreen, from zelph, as shown in my avatar. I feel more heat is put on the cooking pot.

I am somewhat surprised you used a titanium cooking pot for your comparisons.

There is a strongly held view that aluminum cooking pots for backpacking are faster to boil.

Q_x

Post by Q_x » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:27 am

blanked :mrgreen:
Last edited by Q_x on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delete this account, please

shingaling

Post by shingaling » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Great work! Every new stove I see is better than the last one, but I too am concerned with a complete cooking system with the right shape of pot, efficient windscreen, completely packable, etc.

Can't wait to make a Caldera Clone. Has anyone got designs for a folding version? That would certainly help make it packable, but you'd have to make hinges for it, and that would increase the weight. Here's an example of what I mean:
http://www.vargooutdoors.com/store/p159 ... 1ad8f0b254
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:13 pm

just tinkering, While developing the cone windscreen, I contacted the guys at Caldera. I told them that I was looking for a cooking system and I was looking for the best fuel efficiency and that I needed to boil at least 1 liter of water. They told me to select the 1.3 liter Evernew. Their fastest system used a 2 1/2 cup aluminum pot (my test pot).
Good to know.

I also think zelph's "inside out stove" is a candidate for off-the-ground testing in your windscreen and deflector with the deflector holding it off-the-ground, maybe using a silicone band or wick wrapping, and then, we will see the double blue-flame reported at the Hammock Forum and maybe develop an optimized windscreen and deflector.

zelph, inside-out stove or Super Stove :?: