Fancee Feest Carbon Edition

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Knotty

Fancee Feest Carbon Edition

Postby Knotty » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:26 pm

Picked up some carbon felt in plumbing section of Home Depot to see how it could be used with stoves. A lot of people seem to be using it in wick stoves but comments on bpLite indicated that it's not particularly good at wicking.

So what I did was build a Fancee Feest, using the carbon felt as the wick. Since the felt is thicker than fiberglass cloth I couldn't use my standard approach...a Bud bottle for the center section. Fortunately the ladies in the household gave me some empty hair spray bottles that were smaller and worked.

First thing I noticed was that the felt sucks up the alcohol from the bottom of the stove pretty quickly but then I was surprised to see how slow the stove was to light. The felt was absorbing but not wicking. The stove would not light all the way around the rim. It would start in one section and then SLOWLY spread. A cold pot put on top seemed to slow things even more. It took several minutes to come up to speed and had boil times that were easily a couple minutes longer than a Fancee Feest.

In the end what I concluded is that the Fancee Feest Carbon Edition behaved more like a pressurized stove than a wick stove. Too bad. I had high hopes for this nice soft material.

zelph

Re: Fancee Feest Carbon Edition

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:39 pm

The small amount of flame heats the stove and stimulates evaporization. Once the cold pot is put on it cools down the stove and slows evaporization.

Skidsteer introduced the carbon felt material on Whiteblaze. He sent some to me for testing and my findings were the same as yours. Around the same time I had purchased a sheet of white ceramic plumbers cloth that was more disappointing. It's surface became sealed by the heat generated at its surface during low fuel burning. A stove filled with cotton balls will work nicely until it starts running low on fuel, then the cotton starts to burn and is consumed. In the case of the white ceramic cloth, the fine fibers fused and prevented further filling of the stove.

Did your stove burn with an orange flame?

Thanks Knotty for sharing your findings.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:33 pm

the ceramic fiber that i've been using for wicked type stoves doesn't seem to suffer from the fusion problem. i've got burners with many many burns on them that still work just the way they did the second time.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Knotty

Postby Knotty » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:10 am

The stove burnt mostly blue.

I still see some potential uses:
-place under stove as a heat/cold shield
-pot grabber
-primer pad
-primer wick

Sorry about those last two. I know how everyone around here feels about priming and for the most part agree.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:48 am

Sorry about those last two. I know how everyone around here feels about priming and for the most part agree.

Not everyone..There's a lot of good stoves that use them..like Optimus,for example...Priming has its time and place and a lot of good stoves use it.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:33 pm

realityguy wrote:

Not everyone..There's a lot of good stoves that use them..like Optimus,for example...Priming has its time and place and a lot of good stoves use it.

We're talking light weight backpacking stoves :mrgreen:

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:36 pm

where is the line between lite weight and to heavy and who made the rules.my svea is just under a pound to me that just right. but not for a a 2 week or so less you in a boat or car.for a week end camp a 1 lb. stove not that heavy
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:35 am

oops56 wrote:where is the line between lite weight and to heavy and who made the rules.my svea is just under a pound to me that just right. but not for a a 2 week or so less you in a boat or car.for a week end camp a 1 lb. stove not that heavy

Sgt. Rock made the rules. He said if it weighs more than the ion stove it's too heavy. :mrgreen:

The line starts at 1 ounce and goes up to 16 ounce. You're under 16 ounce so you are doing just fine :D

Everyone has their favorites and use what ever pleases them.

Knotty

Postby Knotty » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:12 pm

Funny that the SVEA should come up in this thread.

It may be heavy in comparison to DIY alky stoves but I'm so drawn to it. It's a thing of beauty that has stood the test of time.

I WANT ONE. Just don't want to spend the big buck. :cry:

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Knotty wrote:Funny that the SVEA should come up in this thread.

It may be heavy in comparison to DIY alky stoves but I'm so drawn to it. It's a thing of beauty that has stood the test of time.

I WANT ONE. Just don't want to spend the big buck. :cry:

i bought a brand new Svea 123R (from campmor, i think) that doesn't work worth a shit. i can't figure out why, but it sure looks nice! :mrgreen:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”