UL KittyKettle

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

Re: UL KittyKettle

Postby DarenN » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:14 pm

i made my upper pot-stand out of .030 aluminum. the bottom edges are showing some deformation just from the heat of an alcohol burner.
i'd suggest you use .062.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:24 pm

DarenN wrote:i made my upper pot-stand out of .030 aluminum. the bottom edges are showing some deformation just from the heat of an alcohol burner.

Thanks for the tip......062 it is. :D

Hey oops did you make the upper potstand for yours?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:28 pm

zelph wrote:
DarenN wrote:i made my upper pot-stand out of .030 aluminum. the bottom edges are showing some deformation just from the heat of an alcohol burner.

no it was some type candle holder i cut up
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:36 pm

oops56 wrote:
zelph wrote:

no it was some type candle holder i cut up

That's a great idea Oops. I have seen similar ones in the thrift stores. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:38 pm

zelph wrote:Well I succumbed to the urge to have a kettle and ordered the 3 pint, stainless steel Kelly Kettle.

I don't think I'll have to be concerned about melting the base. I have Ideas to make parts for it, inspired by oops56 and Daren and of course all that we learned in the last few days from Ridgerunner.

I do a lot of car camping(leaving again on Sunday for another outing that might last 2 weeks. gotta hang in the hammocks :D I'll operate out of a base camp set up along the Illinois river. going to use my Grizz Bridge and WarBonnet for the first time trials.

It will be interesting to hear your reviews of the hammocks. Have a great adventure and keep us in the loop! :D I know why you are operating out of a base camp....... ...EGGS!!!!! :lol: and bacon!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:13 pm

It will be interesting to hear your reviews of the hammocks. Have a great adventure and keep us in the loop! :D I know why you are operating out of a base camp....... ...EGGS!!!!! :lol: and bacon!

I got word this morning my kettle won't arrive till neaxt Thursday.....bummer!!!

I do have a modified Woodgaz stove to play with and heat my water. :D

I'll be taking a doz. eggs with as starters ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Today, 09:39 #6
desmobob

Hammock: ENO Doublenest
Tarp: Kelty Noah'sTarp
Suspension: tree strap/whoopie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
I really like mine, although I don't use it nearly as much as I'd like. It's a wee bit bulky and heavy for backpacking. You might want to stick with wood or charcoal as most alcohol stoves will have to work pretty long and hard to bring 3 pints to a boil. Just using scraps of wood usually brings 3 pints to a boil for me in under 5 minutes. Gotta love watching the volcano.
I have the medium-sized Ghillie Kettle (boils about 24oz.). I love its convenience and the way it works, but don't like its bulk and the fact that it's always dirty and smells of creosote. When the soot/creosote builds up on the inside chimney of the kettle, the firepan no longer fits inside for compact storage.

I did find a way to clean it easily. Through another hobby, I learned of a product called "Dawn Power Dissolver" that is a kitchen cleaner designed to remove baked-on deposits from cookware. It is an amazing product with many uses. It dissolves the creosote and soot from inside the Ghillie Kettle like magic!

Good camping,
desmobob

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:32 am

While in Michigan, recharging my battery, we had an electric problem in the cabin for a couple days but fortunately, I had brought along(way too much) BP gear to play with. Here is a vid showing the nine cent attachment I found for my kettle to use for a pot support. I ended up finishing the pot of beans on a grate over the fire bowl as they were not done yet. I still need to come up with a DIY grate.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:46 am

Like the new potstand. Seems to fit great. The pot of beans is making me hungry.
How much water does the ghillie hold? Also, how much fuel can you fit in there?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:53 am

cadyak wrote:Like the new potstand. Seems to fit great. The pot of beans is making me hungry.
How much water does the ghillie hold? Also, how much fuel can you fit in there?

The potstand works great and is a snug fit. When I recoup, I will take the dremel to the candle holder portion to allow fuller heat transfer. Ghillie makes three sizes of kettles.http://www.ghillie-kettle.co.uk/
Mine is the larger sized kettle and specs say it holds 1.42 ltrs. As far as fuel; it will hold a bunch and you just feed as needed. I tend to overdue it; a learning curve; don'tcha know? :lol:

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”