UL KittyKettle

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

Re: UL KittyKettle

Postby realityguy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:07 pm

Wait!let me put my helmet and googles on before viewing the video. :o .Okay..now I'm ready!
:lol:

Success!!... :DB: :DB: :DB: ..but it wasn't as fun as the first two... :cry:

:mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:32 pm

Bravo!!!!! Persistence pays off :D

So how do you rate your new stove/pot?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:38 pm

I'm glad I could entertain and humor all of you although I was fortunate that the second mishap wasn't worse than it was :roll: I would rate it right up there for versatility. You can cook in a pot on top of the kettle with the right accessory and you can cook right out of the fire bowl if you had the grill accessory. It makes a nice piece of kit to keep in the trunk along with my alky stove. I would like to see the pint size kettle to compare the two. These kettles are fantastic in dismal weather as you could see with the windy conditions in the video. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 pm

Cool beans!!!! I liked the concept ever since I heard JAK on Whiteblaze talk about his. That was at least 2 years ago. I do a lot of car camping and I would sure be able to use a kettle.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:06 pm

i made a pot-stand and grill for my Kelly Kettle. also found a pot that nests in the firebox.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1284&hilit=pimp+my+kelly+kettle

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:20 pm

JAK over at Whiteblaze said he melted the aluminum base for his K. Kettle

If you use the base with charcoal and the grille, do you think it will melt? I get the impression that as long as the pot is absorbing heat from the base everything is fine. Once removed the burning coals should be removed, what say all?

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:50 pm

hmmm;
Kelly Kettle sells the accessories that i made for mine.

the possibility definately exists for a melt-down. a fire-grate in the bottom of the pan would probably fix that concern.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:00 pm

ok i get in on this my set up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBSZDZuXFO4
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:42 pm

I agree with Daren that a grate in the bottom would solve the problem and yes Zelph, I believe it would be best to empty your fire bowl once you take the kettle off. Aluminum will melt if exposed long enough at extreme temperatures. Daren, the pot you made me fits perfectly in my kettle above the fire bowl. ;) I need to make the pot supports for the chimney hole. That should be easy enough. I don't have a spotwelder to make the grill top, Zelph. I believe that is a 6.25" OD grate. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:10 pm

Well I succumbed to the urge to have a kettle and ordered the 3 pint, stainless steel Kelly Kettle.

I don't think I'll have to be concerned about melting the base. I have Ideas to make parts for it, inspired by oops56 and Daren and of course all that we learned in the last few days from Ridgerunner.

I do a lot of car camping(leaving again on Sunday for another outing that might last 2 weeks. gotta hang in the hammocks :D I'll operate out of a base camp set up along the Illinois river. going to use my Grizz Bridge and WarBonnet for the first time trials.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”