UL KittyKettle

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Ridgerunner

UL KittyKettle

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:30 am

This kettle was made in the mold of the KellyKettle. From what i've read, the smallest KellyKettle holds a pint of fluid and weighs close to a pound. I had a different project idea in mind until I was rumaging through my material bins and came across a Fosters can that I found on the side of my road last year. I decided to put my initial plan on hold and see how much liquid the Fosters can would hold with an aluminum Bud bottle chimney. Surprisingly, it holds exactly 2 cups and weighs .17lbs. The bottom joint was made with a heavy bead of JB-weld and for added protection, I plan on using a deflector plate in the stove with a hole in the center to direct the flame up the chimney with less contact with the weld. I used a similar woodburning stove/storage container that I made on a previous post. It has two pot support levels; the lower one for using an alcohol stove and the upper level for using it as a woodburner. I look forward to testing it out when the weather gives me a break. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: UL KittyKettle

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:39 am

Looks like its going to work good. Nice material gathering :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:39 pm

I made a vid today of the KittyKettle. I had to use a el cheapo digicam to get it to load on utube so sorry for the lack of high pixel resolution. I'm still learning the video end of the internet so be patient esp. Cuz! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAa6UijA9g4
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:34 pm

:D
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:44 pm

Are you happy with results and how did the weld hold up?

Nice set-up for the kettle, good job stovie :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:51 pm

I'm still wondering what JB weld tastes like... :lol: Hopefully you don't know yet... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:00 am

realityguy wrote:I'm still wondering what JB weld tastes like... :lol: Hopefully you don't know yet... :mrgreen:
i still have a problem with the chemicals involved.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:10 am

I'm kinda wondering about longevity..bodywise AND stovewise...I know the JB weld I've used on pressurized thin wall cans gave up and leaked too soon for me to depend on it..Maybe having water on it will make it last longer... :?:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:44 pm

The "Alumaweld" rods you can get at Harbor freight would eliminate the need for JB Weld. Allows you to "weld" aluminum together (including thin walled cans) with "just" a propane torch.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:21 pm

Vibe wrote:The "Alumaweld" rods you can get at Harbor freight would eliminate the need for JB Weld. Allows you to "weld" aluminum together (including thin walled cans) with "just" a propane torch.
I've never heard of them. Vibe you may have solved sooo many aluminum "stovie" issues. ;)

The jb-weld has 8 burns on it so far with no ill effects. My canteen kettle has between 40-50 burns on it with no problems so far. The weld is 98% on the outer portion of the kettle so I'm not too worried about any residual taste. The fact that no alcohol is involved with the weld really diminishes much of the concern of the welds integrity. If I add the deflector/directional plate on the pot supports, all concerns on the welds intregity should be eliminated.