Mad Cow stove!

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: Mad Cow stove!

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:10 am

corned beef for two days on the trail! ..breakfast with eggs

Yes, that's the right combination, corned beef and eggs :D

I talked with a member today that will be really interested in this design concept. He lives in an area where there are many freight train travelers and helps them out at different times by giving them his DIY alchy stoves. If he uses the conical salmon cans that I had mentioned the stoves would work well for heating canned foods such as beans etc right in the can. Note that I say heat, not cook. The travelers need only to warm the food not make it hot hot. We're concerned about the coating inside the cans, right?

The conical stove will be one piece to have potstand built in.

Hey, NO Priming pan needed, bill will buy one..... ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:31 am

The corned beef is already cooked so that "heating" idea wouldn't be a problem.Heat it in the can with another can stove.I think the can because it is tapered could make a nice small pot for coffee or whatever..Most people that 'ride the freights" aren't that concerned about can linings..
I brought up the stove idea here because it's a simple one that people can make anywhere..whether they are on a trail,hoppin' freights, or just need something in an emergency to cook anything..and it has a valuable food source inside..not jolt cola.. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:27 am

I'm going to get me a can of the salmon today and give your idea a shot. :D

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:49 am

It'll be interesting to see the can..don't know if we have it around here..

What..no corned beef and eggs? :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:00 pm

zelph wrote:
corned beef for two days on the trail! ..breakfast with eggs

Yes, that's the right combination, corned beef and eggs :D

Now that would fuel a true LTA stove - straight METHANE - generate your own fuel, why carry anything. :D
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:21 pm

Now that would fuel a true LTA stove - straight METHANE - generate your own fuel, why carry anything. :D

About a 4' hose and it could be "remote fueled" as long as he figures out how to keep the pressure up...might need a little priming though.. :o

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:41 pm

realityguy wrote:About a 4' hose and it could be "remote fueled" as long as he figures out how to keep the pressure up...might need a little priming though.. :o

Probably need some sort of filtration...You know "Bad fuel" can be hazardous. :DP:
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:01 pm

Probably need some sort of filtration...You know "Bad fuel" can be hazardous.

And with who we have in mind..a big ol' gasket... :mrgreen:

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:36 pm

Did you see the photo of the salmon can I posted? I put a machinist square at it's side so you can see the taper. the wider part is the top of the can. the label is upside down

Here is stove I made today. Used one soup can and one veggie can, no taper. exhaust wrap is in the walls. will do some test burns tomorrow.
Attachments
Stocking Stuffer 020.jpg
Stocking Stuffer 003.jpg

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:47 pm

You'll have to try one of the salmon cans..looks like a goodie! Because of the taper,you'll find that once you stuff the fiberglass or wick filler in the sides that the two pieces won't come apart..unless you pull that back out first.Make the outside about 3/4-1" shorter than the top for the potstand(duh :roll: ).
With a second salmon can also..if you make two cuts near the bottom,say 1/2" apart,the top becomes a pot(with the top intact and unopened turned upside down and the bottom say 1/4" high portion becomes the lid fitting barely over the top of the pot..perfect hobo-pot with using a second can..hmm..but the bottom of the pot,would fit down inside the potstand a little(non-tip?).I can turn a MC pot 90 degrees to the top of the MC stove because of its rectangular shape.
I hope they like salmon...