Altoids modular folding stove.. up to 3 burners at once!

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

Altoids modular folding stove.. up to 3 burners at once!

Post by realityguy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:44 am

Here's a stove idea with variable burn modes.. An Altoids tin with a folding potstand using up to three modular "burners"..smaller than wedding favor tins.Each burner has a capaciy of 1/4 ounce maximum and can give up to about 8 minutes of burn time per unit.A person has a choice of 1,2,or 3 units at once giving you a high(3 units at once),medium(2 units),or low(single burner)..... or a low simmer mode for about 24 minutes(3 units in a row),high to low(2 to 1 units,14-16minutes),low to high 1,then 2,14-16minutes,or 8 minutes of high mode using all three at once...or use only 2 for an 8 minute "almost boil" mode,one for 8 minutes heating cans of coffee...LOTS of variables!
Boils 16 ounces of water in 6 minutes using all three at once(total 3/4oz..or possibly less,using less than a full 1/4oz load in each),an almost boil with two of them(190-200),about 170 degrees with a single unit.
Everything fits inside the altoids tin,including a specially made set of "tweezers" for adding or removing modules while everything is running..a folding simple potstand made of curtain hooks.
These units are made of rolled fiberglass cloth so no priming is needed,instant heat once you light them.

This is made for a larger pot(4-5") than a heincan..but a person could easily shape the potstand smaller to hold one better.
I've only used it on the snow lake trip to heat coffee which it wasn't made for but the can balanced on one end and there wasn't any wind that day so a windscreen also wasn't used.I did light up a second module and tried to toast a sandwich on the potstand..LOL!I'm going to make a higher toaster shelf for that purpose.Some of the bread stuck to the potstand but did burn off and it did get a little toast.I might try and combine a windscreen/toast holder at the same time..maybe something full of holes to toast the bread while the bread blocks the wind.. :mrgreen:
Works great!The modules do have jb weld on the threads of the caps.For size reference,each module is 11/16" high and 1-1/4" across.

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Re: Altoids modular folding stove.. up to 3 burners at once!

Post by irrationalsolutions » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:08 am

looks good! and its a small compact stove to pack. good idea!
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:35 am

so zelph what do you say, is this stove of the month ready or not? we need stoves to be put in there to have something to vote on.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:15 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:so zelph what do you say, is this stove of the month ready or not? we need stoves to be put in there to have something to vote on.
Yes, I certainly think so. It sure looks stable in the video. Flames look great and made me relaxed watching them slowly dance from side to side. Kinda gettin cozy with one another. :mrgreen:
I did light up a second module and tried to toast a sandwich on the potstand..LOL!
I bet that was funny :D

Nice wire forming there RG.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Y
es, I certainly think so. It sure looks stable in the video. Flames look great and made me relaxed watching them slowly dance from side to side. Kinda gettin cozy with one another. :mrgreen:
:lol: Actually..the middle flame is doing a bit of a "lap dance" with the back edge of the pot the way the side ones are doing... :o ..because the mods are offset.That pot is about 4" wide...Before I JB welded the threads they were a bit too cozy with one another... :shock:
Here's a double burner video:

With two mods,a boil might be possible with a windscreen..just haven't tried that yet.Keep in mind that the mods only last about 8 minutes tops...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:31 am

Keep in mind that the mods only last about 8 minutes tops...
8 min. and 3/4 ounce of denatured should get you a 2 cup boil.

The mods hold 3/4 ounce right????

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:12 am

No..these are the small tins(11/16"highx1-1/4" across),the ones I posted pictures of before in the tin that holds 10 of them.They are floating to the top with heet at 1/4oz.It makes them easy to fill/measure that way,just fill them until you see alcohol(wetness) and you have that 1/4oz,or slightly less.
3 of them together did a 6minute boil..1/4oz each=3x1/4oz=3/4oz total..I can probably boil with less by putting less in each one(each will burn 7-1/2 to 8min with a full tank,only 6min.needed)..maybe drop 20%less fuel in each..and use a windscreen to concentrate the heat more around the pot...making them more efficient.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:46 am

If I get time today(lots of things going on)..I'll try using a 1/2oz heet between the three burners and see if I can get the boil with that amount..and a makeshift windscreen.It might make it..that extra 1/4 ounce is more of a security blanket. I still haven't tried 2 singles in a row which might probably just do it also...with a windscreen.I'll have to do a 3/4 screen if I need to change mods in the middle of a burn though,just leave the front open to pop a second one in just before the first one burns out with my "mod tweezers". :mrgreen:

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Great, thanks for the update and do some baking later on :D

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:54 pm

I tried some more burns but people started showing up for craigs things(hopefully $170 today.. :DB: ) and I had to shut things down before their time.However..the 20-25 degrees difference in air temperature now has made some changes to specs reported earlier..Maybe tomorrow I'll have time to fire things up again..literally... :lol:
Baking..that's an idea..my berries have really petered out but the himilayan blackberries across the street are going strong! :mrgreen: