Modified Alcohol Stoves

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
toddheyn

Modified Alcohol Stoves

Postby toddheyn » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:56 pm

I got bored this weekend with my mother In-Law in town so I hit the stores on Friday and then hit the shop on Sunday.

I do not have a lot of details yet. I also can not take any photos until my wife gets back from her cruise to Puerto Rico. That's why my mother in-law is here (part time Nanny).

First of all, I have modified the Fancy Feast stove using a 2" gift tin that I found at Jo-Ann Fabrics for $0.99. This tin is more durable than the tea light candle tins but only slightly heavier. They also come in an assortment of colors for those that like a little color in their lives.

Secondly, I modified Zelph's 2x2 stove that I purchased from him via e-bay. I used a 2" mint tin and put in 2 1/2 layers of the black plumbers cloth from Lowes and then topped it with the SS globe material from K-Mart. This stove holds one ounce of alcohol and will just bring 4 cups of water to a boil before flame out.

I will get some photos and burn time details listed very soon. This is going to be a very busy week for me but I will see what I can do.
"Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

zelph

Re: Modified Alcohol Stoves

Postby zelph » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:16 am

toddheyn wrote:I got bored this weekend with my mother In-Law in town so I hit the stores on Friday and then hit the shop on Sunday.

I do not have a lot of details yet. I also can not take any photos until my wife gets back from her cruise to Puerto Rico. That's why my mother in-law is here (part time Nanny).

First of all, I have modified the Fancy Feast stove using a 2" gift tin that I found at Jo-Ann Fabrics for $0.99. This tin is more durable than the tea light candle tins but only slightly heavier. They also come in an assortment of colors for those that like a little color in their lives.

Secondly, I modified Zelph's 2x2 stove that I purchased from him via e-bay. I used a 2" mint tin and put in 2 1/2 layers of the black plumbers cloth from Lowes and then topped it with the SS globe material from K-Mart. This stove holds one ounce of alcohol and will just bring 4 cups of water to a boil before flame out.

I will get some photos and burn time details listed very soon. This is going to be a very busy week for me but I will see what I can do.

I like the color yellow(banana yellow)

I tried making a burner capped with coarse ss mesh from a sink drainer thingy. The burner would not stay lit for more than a second or two. You are having success with the finer mesh from the globe, very interest breakthrough here. Boiling 4 cups of water with 1 ounce of fuel is great. Great design Toddheyn, looking forward to your test results and some photos.

Why are you not on the cruise with your wife? :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

toddheyn

Postby toddheyn » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:01 pm

Here are some shots I was able to take with a camera from work.

The first two shots are of the mint tin.

The next shots are of the modified fancy Feast stove using the tin from Jo-Ann Fabrics.

These are shots of the stove with my Heiny pot.

Finally, a picture of the flame pattern.

I'll try to get some burn and boil results soon.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:43 pm

I love the looks of the flame patter under the Heinekin pot. Whooo!!! It's amazing how the ss mesh holds back the vaporization rate.

Great photos!!!!! Great craftsmanship, you do nice work. Great way to permanently fasten the mesh to the can.

I'll have to try the ss mesh on a tin similar to what you used. You've got good ideas, way to go!!! Look forward to test results.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:34 am

toddheyn wrote:Here are some shots I was able to take with a camera from work.

Finally, a picture of the flame pattern.

I'll try to get some burn and boil results soon.

How are you doing on your testing? Are you getting consistant results?

Have you created any new designs?

toddheyn

Postby toddheyn » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:22 pm

I finally had a chance to run some tests today.

For the Mint Tin Stove I started with 2 cups of 74 degree water in a K-Mart Grease pot. The stove was filled with one ounce of alcohol. The water came to a full boil (210 degrees) at 7:15 and continued to burn until 18:33.

The mini fancy Feast Stove was tested with 2 cups of 73 degree water in a K-Mart Grease Pot. The stove was also filled with 1 ounce of alcohol and it. The water came to a boil at 5:15 and flamed out at 11:00.

I would say quite repectable results from both stoves.

Here is a good shot of the Mini fancy Feast flame pattern.

toddheyn

Postby toddheyn » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:28 pm

I also did some tests with 1/2 ounce of alcohol.

The mint tin was filled with 1/2 ounce of alcohol. It was put under 2 cups of 76 degree water in the grease pot. It burned for 12:10 but was only able to bring the water to 197 degrees.

I think that the mint tin stove needed the greater volume of alcohol to get the water to a higher temp quicker. The lower volume just did not gas off good enough to get a hot burn.

The mini Fancy feast stove was also filled with 1/2 ounce of alcohol. It was put under 2 cups of 76 degree water in the grease pot. It was able to bring the water to a boil in 5:27 and continued to burn until 5:55. Under ideal conditions, 1/2 ounce of alcohol in this stove is just right. I would probably go with 3/4 of an ounce in the field.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:08 pm

toddheyn wrote:I also did some tests with 1/2 ounce of alcohol.

The mint tin was filled with 1/2 ounce of alcohol. It was put under 2 cups of 76 degree water in the grease pot. It burned for 12:10 but was only able to bring the water to 197 degrees.

I think that the mint tin stove needed the greater volume of alcohol to get the water to a higher temp quicker. The lower volume just did not gas off good enough to get a hot burn.

The mini Fancy feast stove was also filled with 1/2 ounce of alcohol. It was put under 2 cups of 76 degree water in the grease pot. It was able to bring the water to a boil in 5:27 and continued to burn until 5:55. Under ideal conditions, 1/2 ounce of alcohol in this stove is just right. I would probably go with 3/4 of an ounce in the field.

The mint tin stove has plumbers cloth. It's not know for being a good material to wick the fuel upward. When you put 1 ounce in the mint tine it naturaly fills the tin up towards the rim or thereabouts. With 1/2 ounce of fuel, it makes for a good simmering stove.

What is the max fuel capacity of the mini fancy feast?

Your tests are going well.

toddheyn

Postby toddheyn » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:54 am

Both of the stoves have a one ounce capacity.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:24 pm

toddheyn wrote:Both of the stoves have a one ounce capacity.

Do you think they are trail worthy? Better than a supercat stove?

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”