Simplicity Stove design..

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

Re: Simplicity Stove design..

Post by realityguy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:30 am

My concern would be if none had salmonella for a while and then suddenly a batch of the yolks did!It may not show up until you get a bad batch of eggs..I'd still call a vet and get some FREE advice..If he won't give it to you,get another vet.I really hate those huge vet bills!They rake us over the coals out here..$$$
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:51 am

realityguy wrote:My concern would be if none had salmonella for a while and then suddenly a batch of the yolks did!It may not show up until you get a bad batch of eggs..I'd still call a vet and get some FREE advice..If he won't give it to you,get another vet.I really hate those huge vet bills!They rake us over the coals out here..$$$

Easier for me to stop feeding them the yokes :D You're right about the next batch having salmonella.

Just one shot cost me 65.00 last month for the rabbie one. :roll:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:09 pm

You may want tokeep feeding them the yolks..just cook them first..mix in a bit of mayo and they'll eat them if they think they are too dry without them.
Years ago I used to mix up breakfast drinks,make eggnog,etc..all using raw eggs,never thought twice about it..of course I drank running water from streams also..Now..who knows with guardia,samonella,ecoli.... :o
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:37 pm

realityguy wrote:You may want tokeep feeding them the yolks..just cook them first..mix in a bit of mayo and they'll eat them if they think they are too dry without them.
Years ago I used to mix up breakfast drinks,make eggnog,etc..all using raw eggs,never thought twice about it..of course I drank running water from streams also..Now..who knows with guardia,samonella,ecoli.... :o

Good idea about the cooking and adding mayo.....they love mayo :o

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:36 pm

cross thread here...here's a good example of what i think you want as far as the picture in picture...

These are interesting..it a "muffin tin candle" from big lots..normally 2 for a dollar(I got 8 for a buck and the 8 free candles! :mrgreen: )!..for a ready made simmer ring for one of these larger 3" diameter stoves..otherwise the flame goes about 8" high!The tin covers the middle and leaves a nice smaller burn ring around the perimeter.Just set it on the stove and it becomes the potstand and simmer ring...works well on 5" pots.I didn't even cut out the center on this one but did on a second one to try it out upside down for more burn control towards the middle...Still playing with that idea for "torching a heinie" pot.. :twisted: :lol:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:18 pm

Another good idea..got tired of spending a lot of time making potstands for testing stoves of different sizes and heights,clearances to the pot..etc..Use 4" curtain pleat hooks..I got about 30 for a buck at a thrift store!They have a doubled over couple legs and a third piece welded in..chromed ,I guess.Just bend them into a nice flat three-legged potstand wider than your stove,whatever height you don't have!..I made a couple for this stove with one 3/8" above the stove(20 minute burn/ 3/4ounce/12 minute rolling boil)and a second one 1" high over the stove(shown on the pot but the test was without the muffin tin)12 minute burn/3/4ounce/7-1/2 minute rolling boil..in the trangia teapot.

Hmm..Interesting results..anybody come up with a dual height potstand for simmering AND boiling?..maybe roll it over on it's side for the other height?..but the wire ones are simple and cheap enough to bend the metal feet sideways(to make the ring flatter and stack them together in a container for use on the trail for either mode(made the same diamter,just different length legs..with a rolled up windscreen of course.
This was a third stove..one of the charcoal filled ones that I burned the top fabric out,poured out the worthless charcoal.I cut a 1-1/2" hole in the bottom metal screen with a holesaw..packed fiberglass insulation around the sides to the edge of the hole..then used some stuff that was folded over once,then rolled and put inside with the rolls vertically at the top,loose edges down,filling the center void pretty tight to the top metal screen.I figure it could wick any alcohol residue from the bottom of the outer can.The stove was then pressed into a green bean vegetable can bottom portion up to the lip of the head..burns well!

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:46 pm

cross thread here...here's a good example of what i think you want as far as the picture in picture...

That is exactly what I was inquiring about. It sure is a fine example.

Very clever way to make a potstand with the drapery hooks. They also make nice sign or picture holders by leaning the center leg backwards.