Simplicity Stove design..

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
oops56

Re: Simplicity Stove design..

Post by oops56 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:31 am

zelph wrote:
I must be turning into a Stovie,my eating habits seems to be more and more determined by what container something comes in....LOL!

Ahhh Yes!!!!! one of the traits of a "Stovie" :lol: :lol:

A couple of weeks ago I spent a good deal of time in a grocery store trying to visually locate by can size the container I used for the remote fuel feed stove. I wanted more cans to experiment with. I could'nt find them. I had a sample with me for checking purposes. I started asking the sales associates for help. They took me around to the isles they thought might have the size of can. We were looking for anchovies , I thought it might have been anchovies. They are potent little things and thought they might be sold in small quantities/cans . Nope, anchovies come in flat rectangular cans. The associates gave up but I stuck with the search. Aaahha!!! there tucked away at the very end of a shelf was the snack paks of "Bumblebee" brand tuna and chicken The sweet smell of sucess :DBfire: "Stovies" go to extremes to satisfy their interests. :D

Zelph i wish you stop doing this i just needed some baby food jars i got some come over for lunch :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:43 am

I find the best source of oddball containers seems to be the large oriental groceries..with a Chinese wife,I get to those a lot.. :lol: "Honey,I've never had these Tofu-ed Cod Fish Eyeballs.Why don't we try those tonight?" :lol:
They do carry a nice steel can like a popcan with good coffee in it for 59cents and a good assortment of skinnier steel and aluminum cans of oddball other beverages and teas! ;)

snack packs..I'm looking at the cats' friskies meals that come in foil bags instead of a can...Move over ,Kitties! :DB:

I still can't find any aluminum cans for coke or other sodas except for air freshener ones..Our house is smelling like an "evergreen forest" on a "summer's day" next to a "cool mountain stream"..or what they think it should smell like to someone in a test room in New Jersey. :lol: :DBfire:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

seudo_411

Post by seudo_411 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:45 pm

"Stovies" go to extremes to satisfy their interests. :D

Well in the eyes of others maybe. To us its become the norm. I read a article written in an outdoor magazine the journalist is one of those almost "hikers" , you know the the closest he gets too the outdoors is the gardening section of the shopping mall. But in any case he was speaking about stove types and choosing a stove, pros and cons. and the obvious things came up, like white gas being hot and heavy, canisters being easy and expensive. Solids being cheap and very messy. and he mentions UL stoves, however he refers to us stovies as a crazy bunch who make our own stuff and goes on about how every gram matters, but it comes to the point where he might as well say we're are a bunch of tie dye wearing hippies :twisted: . Oh well different strokes I guess.

That container would be perfect for my work-in-progress reactor.Have to find one. :)
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:02 pm

"Honey,I've never had these Tofu-ed Cod Fish Eyeballs.Why don't we try those tonight?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pick me up off the floor!!!!!

want to see something cool, highlight this row of smilies and watch their eyelids.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doesn't take much for me to get a cheap laugh!!!!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm thinking those 9.5 ounce or so coffee cans might be handy for day hikes..just pop the top and set it on the Kodaker for 7 minutes(almost boil)...Nice hot coffee already creamed and a free nice stove can to boot..no waste,no muss,no fuss! :DB:

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:56 pm

Nice "convenience" foods.

There is a thread here that shows the drink in a plastic bottle that heated itself with a chemical action. I'll see if I can find the thread.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:49 pm

zelph wrote:Nice "convenience" foods.

There is a thread here that shows the drink in a plastic bottle that heated itself with a chemical action. I'll see if I can find the thread.

...AND NO FREE STOVE?????..You gotta be kidding! :evil: :lol:

I've got a pack(12) of those "just add water" chemical heaters somewhere...Throw some water in there with your c-rations..close it up and watch them cook!

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 pm

Back to the 'cartridge' stove design..I found a source for a lot of the cartridges most of them are activated charcoal with a fabric liner top and bottom..Tested one out and the alcohol runs right through the things and burns too fast.However..i did cut a 1" hole on one side,restuffed it with fiberglass insulation,rolled fiberglass cloth vertically around the center hole tight,and popped in a mesh of a range hood's ven screening(cutting one up because i got it for 50 cents.. :lol: ).I haven't tried that one yet..maybe tomorrow.
The entire thing was activated charcoal before inside,just pured out after making the hole and it wasn't worth using,doesn't absorb the alcohol and or extend the burn,just so you don't waste your time with that.
The 3M cartridge is nice in that it has metal mesh on both sides,so you can redo a small portion in the center and keep most of the metal screen intact.I need another 12 ounce vege can(Honey,can we have green beans tonight?)..this cartridge doesn't have the top mushroom head the other one had that shoulders right down to the top of the can so I'll probably have to cut the can shorter to fit better and right against the side of the cartridge,maybe some jbweld due to the lack of the head..seal it up better.
I also used the original cartridge type(original post),the short stainless steel shim material with a double ring of holes around the top and 64OZ of water in my 3 qt aluminum "bear can" pot...couldn't get that much to boil,even though the burn was over 32 minutes.The .005 stainless shim material held up the pot fine and the burn was continuous for all but the last minute and a half or so.In the end,the water was too hot to keep a hand into but that was about it.I'll retry with about 48 ounces:just seeing what I can get to boil.I'm trying to see what the limitations are of that burner with 1-1/2OZ of heet..It burns nice and steady but I see a problem with condensation off the pot dripping onto the burner,but it kept going and bounced right back!Remote fueling of stoves may be limitted to simmering and there may be limits as to boiling water over alcohol where it may not be worthwhile verses the time it takes to do it..just something to think about.
My main goal..testing the shim material as sole support of the pot..it was tested and did fine.I'm using a second cartridge burner without any potstand on it's own,only the shim material windscreen.The windscreen was 3/4 of the way around the base about 5" in diameter with the same two small pieces of wire holding the void space,pretty clumsy but it would hold up fine and not disentegrate or collaypse from the heat if it is needed that large for a larger pot.
It would have made a nice hot tub of bath water(maybe a bit too hot)or hot enough for cocoa or something the equivalent..

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:17 pm

More testing...This stove is more for a couple people..takes a bit more alcohol..loads up and burns nice with 1-1/2oz alcohol.
Anwway..I'm trying to boil 48 ounces of water with that 1-1/2 oz..not quite..Ithink the problem is I'm using my "bear pot" a 3 gallon thick aluminum affair with too much airspace and a real problem with condensation dripping on the flame.If you attemp more water,use a pot with an outer drip edge..just some photos..
18minute burn started bubbles on the bottom,steam,and condensation on the top..still short.
Video shows the burn(and still condensation) at about 15 minutes in...I think th jpgs with the lights on probably show all the moisture...

Oh well..at least you get to see fire!!! :lol: :DBfire:

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:01 pm

Ohhhhyah!!! we like seeing those flame movies :DBfire:

Your flame color looks great and distance from burner to pot looks good.

For sure it's a stove for two or more walkers. Where did you get the beer can?