Simplicity Stove design..

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: Simplicity Stove design..

Post by zelph » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:14 pm

Hmm..I might have to go thrift store shopping today.

Ya, right!!!!!!! you needed a reason to go??????? It's your second home :D

Your stove gets more interesting by the day.

Activated charcoal sound interesting as a fuel absorbing material. Anyone tried it yet???
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:24 pm

I was really surprised the can with holes in it made that much of an impact on the burn time length..Zelph,have you tried that for a simmer option/pack container on the Starlyte?..just wondering...The wife threw out my peanut can plastic lid(grr!) but I found a Sees candy can one that fit the same can(or the Sees taller can,hmm,more room for small alcohol bottles/matches for day trips or a Kodaker!).I'm going to put together a flat stainless windscreen that will slide in the can around the stove with the slots that make it a full circle..then it should be complete as a compact protected unit,something that will fit in an outside mesh pocket on my golite pack.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:35 pm

realityguy wrote:I was really surprised the can with holes in it made that much of an impact on the burn time length..Zelph,have you tried that for a simmer option/pack container on the Starlyte?..just wondering...The wife threw out my peanut can plastic lid(grr!) but I found a Sees candy can one that fit the same can(or the Sees taller can,hmm,more room for small alcohol bottles/matches for day trips or a Kodaker!).I'm going to put together a flat stainless windscreen that will slide in the can around the stove with the slots that make it a full circle..then it should be complete as a compact protected unit,something that will fit in an outside mesh pocket on my golite pack.

Yes, I used a cut down fancey feast catfood can and if the StarLyte is set inside the can it makes the stove simmer. Works nice.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:29 pm

Zelph..I blame you for twisting my arm today to run to Everett for thrift store shopping!I'm teling the wife it's all your fault! :( . :lol: ..I ran up there to check out that small surplus store for the trangias..out of business!That's no longer an option for getting them around here.
The reason I posted this HERE..I checked out the filter cartridges at Lowe's..unfortunately it appears the all metal ones may not be made anymore..apears they are shifting to PLASTIC!!If you find the metal ones..PICK them up while you can!I did find a couple packs of the metal ones at a liquidation place and those ones have activated charcoal inside,but I didn't pick them up.I have two stoves already and they appear to last for a long time.
The Lowes ones now run about $15 a pair which I thought was rather pricey(since I got my two for 75 cents at a thrift store...)The liquidators were $11 for a pair.Your prices might be closer to the liquidators in other parts of the country.I haven't checked Home Depot(got sidetracked yesterday.)
Zelph..I also want to THANK YOU for giving me a reason to go!..since I picked up about $400-500 worth of camera items to sell(for real cheap!) and a couple more sleeping bags(using my 30% off coupon!) :DB: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:32 pm

Zelph..I also want to THANK YOU for giving me a reason to go!..since I picked up about $400-500 worth of camera items to sell(for real cheap!) and a couple more sleeping bags(using my 30% off coupon!)

I do that for everyone!!!! Remember me at Christmas time :lol: :lol:

You got some fantastic deals up there!!!! I'm shakin my head ..Image

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:58 pm

zelph wrote:
realityguy wrote:I was really surprised the can with holes in it made that much of an impact on the burn time length..Zelph,have you tried that for a simmer option/pack container on the Starlyte?..just wondering...The wife threw out my peanut can plastic lid(grr!) but I found a Sees candy can one that fit the same can(or the Sees taller can,hmm,more room for small alcohol bottles/matches for day trips or a Kodaker!).I'm going to put together a flat stainless windscreen that will slide in the can around the stove with the slots that make it a full circle..then it should be complete as a compact protected unit,something that will fit in an outside mesh pocket on my golite pack.

Yes, I used a cut down fancey feast catfood can and if the StarLyte is set inside the can it makes the stove simmer. Works nice.

I'm wondering.. what kind of "simmer time" did you get using that method with still some air space at the top between the can and the pot rather than just holes in the can like I did?If it might be less or more..might make some easy variable time with a spacer of sorts for more air..something to raise the pot if I need a little quicker burn..or I wonder if it matters..Did you try a can with holes and the pot down to it?(just trying to save some testing time. :lol: )

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:33 am

Activated charcoal sound interesting as a fuel absorbing material. Anyone tried it yet???

I have not tried it yet but saved a bunch from inside the 5 ltr. Heine Keg for future use. Have not had time to go down that avenue, yet. Too many irons in the fire. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Realityguy, I did not try a can with holes in the top. Here is a quote from the StarLyte thread:

Good News about the StarLyte UltraLyte.

You can now simmer with it by putting it inside of a Fancey Feast or Friskies cat food can and also potted meat cans of the same size.

The combined weight of the simmer can and stove is 19 grams. ( .6702052770420278 Ounces )

I used an aluminum 3 cup pot for testing. It weighs 91 grams. ( 91 Grams = 3.2099305374118176 Ounces )

I was able to simmer 2 cups of water for 22 min. with 1/2 ounce of fuel. The temperature was held at 198 degrees with the lid on.

Last night I made quite a few tests to see how the simmer device works. Tests were consistantly positive. It's easy to pick up the stove once a boil is acheived and place it into the pot and return the pot of water to the stove.

This method of simmering may work on alot of existing stoves.

This idea originated in a thread started by DarenN. He devised a means of simmering with the Fancee Feest stove. It's amazing how ideas can creat new ideas. Thank You Daren!!!!

ImageImageImage

P.S. the cutdown version was for a Heineken pot.

RR, too many irons???? Me also. I'm trying to stay with the remote fueled stove.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:09 pm

Zelph..thanks for getting back..I thought I read through that thread..must have missed that.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:55 am

I must be turning into a Stovie,my eating habits seems to be more and more determined by what container something comes in....LOL!

Ahhh Yes!!!!! one of the traits of a "Stovie" :lol: :lol:

A couple of weeks ago I spent a good deal of time in a grocery store trying to visually locate by can size the container I used for the remote fuel feed stove. I wanted more cans to experiment with. I could'nt find them. I had a sample with me for checking purposes. I started asking the sales associates for help. They took me around to the isles they thought might have the size of can. We were looking for anchovies , I thought it might have been anchovies. They are potent little things and thought they might be sold in small quantities/cans . Nope, anchovies come in flat rectangular cans. The associates gave up but I stuck with the search. Aaahha!!! there tucked away at the very end of a shelf was the snack paks of "Bumblebee" brand tuna and chicken The sweet smell of sucess :DBfire: "Stovies" go to extremes to satisfy their interests. :D