Multi-use bottle holster for backpack

...and other hiking related do-it-yourself designs.
Skidsteer

Multi-use bottle holster for backpack

Postby Skidsteer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:46 pm

The only thing I miss about my big ass Gregory Shasta is the reaaally convenient bottle holster. I am not a fan of in-the-pack hydration bladders because mine always seem to leak eventually. The mesh pockets in packs these days are great but I'm not flexible enough to reach back, grab my water, drink, and put it back in the pocket.

To solve the problem I fashioned a holder using the wrap-around coozy/hand protector from those newfangled Spaghetti cookers.

It worked fine for a couple trips and then failed.

Then it hit me.

Why not use a lightweight pot as the holster? A Snow Peak Mini-Solo turns out to be a perfect fit for a Gatorade bottle:

A simple velcro strap for a Nalgene holds the bottom of the pot:

A small 'biner and some electrical tape to stop the clanging serves as the front attachment. I hooked it through the top of the mesh pocket::

A bit of fiddling gets the angle just perfect:

Great way to carry your water bottle and at camp you detach it to cook the evening meal. Multi-use.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Re: Multi-use bottle holster for backpack

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:10 pm

Very, very nice. We love multi-use light weight gear. It's really a nice set-up. It's well placed and secured well. Great!!!!! :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:29 pm

Another plus: If you cook over a wood fire you don't have to deal with stowing a sooty pot in your pack. It hangs on the outside!
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:52 pm

That's cool!

Thanks Skidsteer :)

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:41 pm

That looks pretty nice, Skidsteer. I like the alternate use of the retracting keyring lanyard on your strap too. May try both myself.
Thanks.

lotsalaughs

Postby lotsalaughs » Wed May 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Thanks skidsteer, great idea. :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 24, 2008 8:28 am

Nice setup Skids. No problem with your bottle ever falling out, say, crossing streams ? Do you just carry one bottle of water or do you use the same setup on the other side of the pack as well? Is the mesh holding up at the specific stress point of your carabiner clip ? Great idea. That was one of the features I like with my big Mountainsmith Circuit pack. The water bottle pockets both angled forward. Sometimes, it is still difficult getting the bottle back in the pocket. I'm like you as far as the hydration sleeves go. I don't really like them and don't like having to suck my water thru a long hose. :mrgreen:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

GAGA

Postby GAGA » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:30 pm

now if i see someone with this set up on the trail(and coking in a heinie pot) i know is Skidsteer :mrgreen:
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!

samh

Postby samh » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:58 pm

There are a couple options out there for attaching water bottles to the straps of your pack if you're not into the DIY thing.

ULA-Equipment has them as an add-on to their packs. And Simblissity is just now releasing the BotSpot (http://www.simblissity.net/botspot.htm)

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:20 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Nice setup Skids. No problem with your bottle ever falling out, say, crossing streams ?

Occasionally.

Worst case was a couple weeks ago climbing a steep hill out of Panther Creek Falls. I got hunched forward too far while climbing and dumped my bottle out and down. It came to rest at an elevation that was 150' lower than mine and I had to hump back down to fetch it. I was happy it didn't bounce into the river and float away.

It was a good durability test for cheap polyethylene bottles. Barely a dent! :D
Skids

Return to “Stove Designs by Skids...”