Cookpot/Water bottle combo

...and other hiking related do-it-yourself designs.
Skidsteer

Cookpot/Water bottle combo

Postby Skidsteer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:08 pm

Many of you, like me, have been using Heineken and Foster's cans to cook/boil water while backpacking for years. They are cheap, extremely lightweight, and surprisingly durable.

I've always thought it would be ideal to modify one to not only serve as a cookpot but as a water bottle as well. Dual use. I've tried various designs with no real success but recently I found some Monster Dub edition energy drink bottles at Big Lots:

They're 32 ounce capacity with a reliable, watertight cap. They can be used as is with no modification at all especially if you are used to using a Foster's can. I wanted to give everyone a heads-up to look for them before they're gone!

I prefer a Heineken can because the shape of the can gives it much more strength. I find the Foster's cans too easy to crunch by accident. So I made a hybrid between the Heineken and the Monster can. I'll take it out on a week long hike next month to test it before I go into details, but here's how it looks:

It weighs the same as a Gatorade bottle.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Re: Cookpot/Water bottle combo

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Very, very nice. That's a very clever way to strengthen the Monster Dub. Look forward to your testing results.

A whole 32 ounces, wow, that's a whole lotta drink. A really nice size light weight, water tight container. I bet your eyes popped when you first saw the container :lol:

Tomorrow I'm off to big lots :D Thanks for the heads up. :D

Have a great week long outing with that new container, what stove is going to heat it up?

I've always been impressed on your ability to match up containers and your ability to do such nice finishing on your projects. Thanks for sharing this really great idea and find. :D

What have you heard about the Heineken barrel design being discontinued?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:46 pm

Nice innovation Skids! You always come up with some great ideas! :D Have a great trip next month. Where might you be heading? I hope to be in the Smokies next month, myself. :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:10 pm

zelph wrote:Very, very nice. That's a very clever way to strengthen the Monster Dub. Look forward to your testing results.

A whole 32 ounces, wow, that's a whole lotta drink. A really nice size light weight, water tight container. I bet your eyes popped when you first saw the container :lol:

Tomorrow I'm off to big lots :D Thanks for the heads up. :D

Have a great week long outing with that new container, what stove is going to heat it up?

I've always been impressed on your ability to match up containers and your ability to do such nice finishing on your projects. Thanks for sharing this really great idea and find. :D

What have you heard about the Heineken barrel design being discontinued?

I'll take my Turbo Tealite

It consistently performs best for me with any sort of Heineken pot.

I haven't heard anything about the Heinie keg cans but they have been getting harder to find. Might be time to stock up while we can. I did notice they recently changed the top part of the can slightly. I like the original better.

Ridgerunner wrote:Nice innovation Skids! You always come up with some great ideas! Have a great trip next month. Where might you be heading? I hope to be in the Smokies next month, myself.

Going to the Grayson Highlands. One of my favorite places to hike!
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed May 04, 2011 10:56 pm

biglots here didn't have them but a local bigbox crocery did(woodmans) a company rep said he had no knowledge of the product being dicontinued. That's the good news. :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Waiting for Skidsteers return :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 17, 2011 9:51 pm

This video shows the 4 cup pot being heated. It's a nice container for doing 4 cups or less. Great for 2 people. Carry 4 cups of water in it and it's ready for the first meal.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:36 pm

Skids, you've kept the secret long enough :lol: , tell us all about the Monster bottle/cookpot ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

CanteenGearShopCom

Postby CanteenGearShopCom » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Nice

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:33 am

Hey Skids, I'm working on a dozen flat bottom 2 cupper using this fine container that you brought to our attention.

I saw a thread over at BPL where someone wanted a lightweight container to carry water in and be able to boil the water in it.

I'm applying recent technology into this container. I'll be adding ridges for added strength and putting on a flat bottom for easy of placement onto stoves that have integral pot supports and also that have other means of supporting a pot.

I should be able to show you 2 prototypes tomorrow.

Skids, if you see this post let me know and I'll send you a complimentary copy to try out on your next outing/adventure.

Return to “Stove Designs by Skids...”