Got2B Stove

...and other hiking related do-it-yourself designs.
oops56

Re: Got2B Stove

Postby oops56 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:28 pm

zelph wrote:The center portion can be blocked off with a stainless steel sink drain screen. It will still allow for the fuel to poured in. Once the wick is lit the ring of fire creates a vacuum in the center. Vapor still comes up and out and mixes with the flames and hopefully burns completely. I'll do a search locally to find the container. I would fill it with the same stuff as whats in the StarLyte and cover it with screen to see how it does. The small diameter of the opening is what determines the rate of boil and surface exposed. The Ion and StarLyte are made of the same container but burn at different rates because of area exposed and wick material. There are a lot of good things to be said about slow burning stoves. Tony from OZ likes the slow burning ones. There are a couple down sides to them also.

In the process of making paper wood fibers are made to align themselves parallel to each other.They use a vibrating copper mesh belt that the wood slurry lays upon. As it moves it vibrates and all the tiny fibers align themselves. Maybe some of you have seen how vibratory bowls align product and travel up the ramp single file to drop one by one into a feed tube. The results of that can be seen when folding a sheet of paper. Fold it with the grain and the fold is nice and clean. fold it the other direction against the grain and the fold is ragged, looks yucky. The material I use in the StarLyte is manufactured in the same way. all the fibers are aligned parallel to each other. Being parallel allows for the best capillary action to bring the fuel to the surface quickly.

long story short i used build that type michine but was for wine bottle caps
plus lots can making machine
Man play with fire man get burnt

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:19 pm

oops56 wrote:
zelph wrote:The center portion can be blocked off with a stainless steel sink drain screen. It will still allow for the fuel to poured in. Once the wick is lit the ring of fire creates a vacuum in the center. Vapor still comes up and out and mixes with the flames and hopefully burns completely. I'll do a search locally to find the container. I would fill it with the same stuff as whats in the StarLyte and cover it with screen to see how it does. The small diameter of the opening is what determines the rate of boil and surface exposed. The Ion and StarLyte are made of the same container but burn at different rates because of area exposed and wick material. There are a lot of good things to be said about slow burning stoves. Tony from OZ likes the slow burning ones. There are a couple down sides to them also.

In the process of making paper wood fibers are made to align themselves parallel to each other.They use a vibrating copper mesh belt that the wood slurry lays upon. As it moves it vibrates and all the tiny fibers align themselves. Maybe some of you have seen how vibratory bowls align product and travel up the ramp single file to drop one by one into a feed tube. The results of that can be seen when folding a sheet of paper. Fold it with the grain and the fold is nice and clean. fold it the other direction against the grain and the fold is ragged, looks yucky. The material I use in the StarLyte is manufactured in the same way. all the fibers are aligned parallel to each other. Being parallel allows for the best capillary action to bring the fuel to the surface quickly.

long story short i used build that type michine but was for wine bottle caps
plus lots can making machine

I would love to have a stove from this can made like a starlyte. That's a great idea; Let me know how it turns out and if you need a can just say the word.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:37 pm

The sun is shining today finally and the temp is up to 13 degrees(warm) so I'll take a ride to WalMart and see if they have it.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:41 pm

I was able to find some at WalMart. $5.00 pricey, I'm used to paying 59 cents for fanceyFeast :D

The container is well made. The product smells chemicaly says my wife. I used it as a skin moisturizer :lol: on my hands that have been subjected to the nasties of winter weather. Main ingredient is water,with some other goodies and castor oil and glycerin. So the product will not go to waste. when I get time I'll turn it into a mega burner.

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:31 am

zelph wrote:I was able to find some at WalMart. $5.00 pricey, I'm used to paying 59 cents for fanceyFeast :D

The container is well made. The product small chemicaly says my wife. I used it as a skin moisturizer :lol: on my hands that have been subjected to the nasties of winter weather. Main ingredient is water,with some other goodies and castor oil and glycerin. So the product will not go to waste. when I get time I'll turn it into a mega burner.

Yeah, I got lucky and my local Wal-Mart had them half price.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:38 pm

I had time to fill it with absorbent material and then added 3 ounces of fuel. I then turned it up side down and nothing spills out :D I tested it outside in my greenhouse at 20 degree air temperature(cloudy) It burned for 1 hour. That equals 20 min per ounce or 10 min per half ounce. So, under optimum conditions we should be able to boil 2 cups of 70 degree water, 6 times using denatured alcohol. Realistically I don't think that's going to happen. Only testing it inside, under optimum conditions will tell if it can be done. :D Maybe 4 times if were lucky. Getting the last ounce up to the surface for ignition might be a problem.
Attachments
Cils new camera 027.jpg

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:00 pm

I don't care. I want one. :D
Skids

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:32 am

Skidsteer wrote:I don't care. I want one. :D

If your address is still the same I'll send it to you and you can do the testing :D

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:59 am

zelph wrote:
Skidsteer wrote:I don't care. I want one. :D

If your address is still the same I'll send it to you and you can do the testing :D

Be glad to. I've got a P.O. Box now. I'll PM it to you.
Skids

russb

Postby russb » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:33 am

zelph wrote:I had time to fill it with absorbent material and then added 3 ounces of fuel. I then turned it up side down and nothing spills out :D I tested it outside in my greenhouse at 20 degree air temperature(cloudy) It burned for 1 hour. That equals 20 min per ounce or 10 min per half ounce. So, under optimum conditions we should be able to boil 2 cups of 70 degree water, 6 times using denatured alcohol. Realistically I don't think that's going to happen. Only testing it inside, under optimum conditions will tell if it can be done. :D Maybe 4 times if were lucky. Getting the last ounce up to the surface for ignition might be a problem.

Looks like a Starlyte on crack! Nice.

Return to “Stove Designs by Skids...”