The Skidsteer Crossbar 8000 Alcohol Stove

...and other hiking related do-it-yourself designs.
Survivor Dave

The Skidsteer Crossbar 8000 Alcohol Stove

Postby Survivor Dave » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:24 pm

SKIDSTEER CROSSBAR 8000 STOVE-----Experiment vs. ETOWAH II Stove

I did a little experimenting with both stoves as far as fuel usage and time to boil. I think you will be pleased.

Test was performed with 500 ml water(2 cups) at 35 degrees and 2 Tablespoons of fuel(30 cc measured in a syringe) in an Evernew 1.3 liter pot(reg-not non-stick). I also used a windscreen and base reflector(optional reflector-not sure if I need it at 16 grams).

With the Etowah II: (--3.4 oz. total weight--)

With "Economizer" pot -Forehhhhver(over 12 minutes) ...... even with 5cc primer
Without "Economizer" pot 6.5-7.0 minutes---no fuel left

With Skidsteer 8000: (---1.875 oz. total weight---)

With "Economizer" pot 6.0 minutes/boil-------total burn time 8.5 minutes
Without "Economizer" pot 4.5 minutes/boil-------no fuel left

I find that your stove has less surface area on the bottoms of the outer pot and economizer, therefore less evaporation and the fuel level is higher.

The inner holes(as a measure-as you suggested) in your economizer when I use exactly 30cc or 2 Tablespoons works perfectly. The wicking is intact as well after the fuel has burned out.

This stove rocks Man!

Survivor Dave

IMG_0034-400.jpg
Disassembled Stove Parts
IMG_0034-400.jpg (10.8 KiB) Viewed 5781 times
IMG_0030-400.jpg
Skidsteer Crossbar 8000 Alcohol Stove
IMG_0030-400.jpg (11.33 KiB) Viewed 5779 times
[/size]

zelph

Re: The Skidsteer Crossbar 8000 Alcohol Stove

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:14 pm

Tell us more about this stove and where you heard of it.

What is used in it's construction?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Survivor Dave

Postby Survivor Dave » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:44 pm

zelph wrote:Tell us more about this stove and where you heard of it.

Zelph,

You are a funny guy.

Let's see, I hiked with the manufacturer for the first time last Veteran's Day, He is considered the foremost expert on UL stove construction, he hangs out on the WB, and claims to enjoy wines that cost less than a Chateau Laffite Rothchild. Hmmmmm.... Give up. I'll let you stew just like you let us stew about that unknown piece of equipment you wanted us to figure out.

I can however tell you that the manufacturer admits to stealing most of his ideas from SGT Rock. Now that's funny!

As far as what it's made out of, it's a space age polymer that looks like a metalic alloy. It's called Skidsteerium and not found on the periodic table of elements just yet.

If you wish to purchase one, I would bet the manufacturer of the stove would put it up for sale on WB, and sell it for $100 dollars. Do you remember last year when y'all pulled my chain and thought the stove sale was for real. Yeah, you remember alright. If you don't, go to the last post in the "Used Gear For Sale" section of forums in WB.

It was an all time WB classic! I got caught with my pants down for sure.

SD

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:40 pm

Now I remember, wow! that was a classic sale on WB. They are retaining it forever to go down in history as "The Best" :D :D :D good memories go with that sale for sure.

Skidds said he was going to send me a sample of the stuff, Skidserium or sumpin like that.

Steals ideas from the rock, LOL. Now thats funny :D :D

What used for the wick material in the burner.

The pot support is one of my favorite. I don't talk much about it because it's more parts than anyone wants to contend with. :) I have a hard time nowadays thinking of stoves being more than two pieces. Trying to keep it down to one piece :D :D

Survivor Dave

Postby Survivor Dave » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:03 pm

zelph wrote:Now I remember, wow! that was a classic sale on WB. They are retaining it forever to go down in history as "The Best" :D :D :D good memories go with that sale for sure.

Skidds said he was going to send me a sample of the stuff, Skidserium or sumpin like that.

Steals ideas from the rock, LOL. Now thats funny :D :D

What used for the wick material in the burner.

The pot support is one of my favorite. I don't talk much about it because it's more parts than anyone wants to contend with. :) I have a hard time nowadays thinking of stoves being more than two pieces. Trying to keep it down to one piece :D :D

Now that I look back at it, it was pretty funny. Boy did I feel like a schmuck to get caught on the end of that line.

As far as the wicking material, I believe it is the gasket material that is used for stoves or stove doors. He said it was coiled only on the upper half of the economizer pot as it would create a longer burning time.

As for the actual item(s) he used to make the economizer pot and outer pot, that is a well guarded trade secret and would constitute copyright infringement laws. The information is kept hermedically sealed in a mayonnaise jar buried somewhere behind the railroad tracks near Alice's Restaurant. You remember Alice, don't you? I think Skids will get that one. :D

I was trying to find the pic that "The Manufacturer" sent but having trouble finding it. I'll keep looking.

SD

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:28 pm

It was an all time WB classic! I got caught with my pants down for sure.

AhhhYes!!!!! It's good to remember the words :D Thanks for the memories :mrgreen:

Here is a refresher :D

I have to say that it looks like a great stove Zelph. Both you and Skids do a cool job and glad you enjoy your extended hiking hobby.

I wish I could use my stove right now(Etowah $22.00) but had to get off Trail a while ago due to personal family shi.......stuff. A real bummer. I'll be back and section to Damascus hopefully this year and try again soon!

I do however want to throw my my $.03 in to the ring. I have once or twice in my life spent way more than I should for "stuff". For $101.00, I could live on the Trail for a couple of weeks.

Zelph, don't get me wrong about the stove, but to the hiker who bought it, that's kind of like buying a Vulcan Stove(A commercial,professional one) that costs thousands of dollars to just boil water. I'm just not getting it.
Oh well, use it in good health and come to me when you need say, ultralight salt and pepper shakers! I guess P.T. Barnum was right.

Hike On,

Maguro

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Maguro
I have to say that it looks like a great stove Zelph. Both you and Skids do a cool job and glad you enjoy your extended hiking hobby.

I wish I could use my stove right now(Etowah $22.00) but had to get off Trail a while ago due to personal family shi.......stuff. A real bummer. I'll be back and section to Damascus hopefully this year and try again soon!

I do however want to throw my my $.03 in to the ring. I have once or twice in my life spent way more than I should for "stuff". For $101.00, I could live on the Trail for a couple of weeks.

Zelph, don't get me wrong about the stove, but to the hiker who bought it, that's kind of like buying a Vulcan Stove(A commercial,professional one) that costs thousands of dollars to just boil water. I'm just not getting it.
Oh well, use it in good health and come to me when you need say, ultralight salt and pepper shakers! I guess P.T. Barnum was right.

Hike On,

Maguro

Egad was just jerkin LeeFs' tree, they were just havin a little fun and I was just going along with it.

LeeF won the auction for $12.00 + shipping and handling $4.50

This is what the stove costs me:

$2.50 for the Heinekin, I don't drink alky, so it went down the drain into the septic system, they say its good for it.

$2.00 for the aluminum cup to make the base of the burner.

$2.00 for the wick, eylets and bail wire, windscreen.

Hope you feel better about the end results of the auction now that you know the Rest of The Story.

Hope you can get back on the trail soon. Good Luck, Good Hike

Pulled My Chain!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you shi---g me! That was a good one! Sorry LeeF. I was getting ready to judge all folks from North Carolina as, well.......Something the comedian Ron White says......

"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID"

Egads, May your Camels spit rotten figs and dates at you! Ha Frickin' Ha. Once bitten ,twice shy.....I'll be on guard!!!!

Maguro

-----------------------------------------------------

Survivor Dave

Postby Survivor Dave » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:53 pm

Thanks for the refresher Zelph,

You are a good man to make everyone laugh, AGAIN! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

I had to go into therapy to get over it.

The Trail Name has changed from Big Maguro to Survivor Dave due to this utter humiliation!!

Just kidding.......Federal Witness Protection Program

Survivor Dave

Formerly Big Maguro-a gullible sap

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:11 pm

Survivor Dave wrote:As far as what it's made out of, it's a space age polymer that looks like a metalic alloy. It's called Skidsteerium and not found on the periodic table of elements just yet.

I feel I need to clear this up. :D

Outer can: Aluminum Sterno holder for a food warmer bought at a thrift shop and saved for a rainy day.

Inner can: Cake spray can from my possibles box

Wick: Rutlands self-adhesive stove door gasket

Cross pieces: 3/4" aluminum stock from Lowe's

Entertainment value: Priceless.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:42 am

Skidsteer wrote:

Survivor Dave wrote:As far as what it's made out of, it's a space age polymer that looks like a metalic alloy. It's called Skidsteerium and not found on the periodic table of elements just yet.

I feel I need to clear this up. :D

Outer can: Aluminum Sterno holder for a food warmer bought at a thrift shop and saved for a rainy day.

Inner can: Cake spray can from my possibles box

Wick: Rutlands self-adhesive stove door gasket

Cross pieces: 3/4" aluminum stock from Lowe's

Entertainment value: Priceless.

Survivor Dave Entertainment Value: Priceless :P

Skids, tell me more about the Skidsterium that's used on a product used in your trade. Awhile back you mentioned it as part of one of your stoves. I can't remember which stove and how long ago it was(6mo?)
I'm still looking for the selfadhesive door gasket. all I'm finding is the stuff that requires a tube of adhesive. I've not done a great search, just two stores, I shall endure until it's found :D

The cross piece design helps keep the flame centralized under the pot when no windscreen is used. I'll see if I can put together a one piece stove using venetian blind material and a V8 or redbull can. I found some wider venetian blinds awhile back at the thrift store, now to see what cans it fits in without cutting the blind.

I'll let you stew just like you let us stew about that unknown piece of equipment you wanted us to figure out.

Survivor Dave, you refering to Mystery tools or is there a thread somewhere that has something in it that is still a mystery?

Survivor Dave

Postby Survivor Dave » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:29 pm

Yes Zelph,

I was refering to the mystery tool. Seeing that the item I submitted can be used as a tool, I thought it would be a real kicker. You can come up with whatever you like as far as what YOU want it to be.

Entertainment value of suggested Mystery tool # 8? : Priceless :D

Skids, please keep your valued trade secrets just that, so we can watch Zelph squirm a bit. Entertainment value, for me, Beyond Priceless......

Now let's get back to the topic huh Zelph..... This isn't WB :D

SD

Return to “Stove Designs by Skids...”