The quest for a Homemade Trangia

...and other hiking related do-it-yourself designs.
DarenN

Re: The quest for a Homemade Trangia

Postby DarenN » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:35 am

"slower is more efficient"

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:53 am

here's a link to a page of Trangia testing info:

http://www.ultralight-hiking.com/stoves-trangia.html

Daren.........

rigidpsycho

Postby rigidpsycho » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:46 pm

Ok guys I need some help with my homemade trangia(out of a RockStar energy drink can). I just finish it yesterday. I was going to try and use the plastic inside the cap in hopes of sealing it up, but I added water to it and turned the stove upside down and had water coming out. Does anyone know what I need to get a good seal when I have the lid on it so no fluid leaks out? Any suggestions from the veteran stove designers would be greatly appreciated.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:15 pm

rigidpsycho wrote:Ok guys I need some help with my homemade trangia(out of a RockStar energy drink can). I just finish it yesterday. I was going to try and use the plastic inside the cap in hopes of sealing it up, but I added water to it and turned the stove upside down and had water coming out. Does anyone know what I need to get a good seal when I have the lid on it so no fluid leaks out? Any suggestions from the veteran stove designers would be greatly appreciated.

Not a "veteran" at stove design. but I've designed enough other equipment that I might have some useful input. If it looks like the picture of DarenNs "Jolgia" stove,then you need to move the sealing line away from the lip and down below the jet holes. There just might be a suitable O-ring (Check MSC, Grainger, or McMaster Carr) that could be slipped over the neck which would seal against both the neck and the lid. Barring that I would look for a small diameter, but wide rubber band. You might be able to make a silicone "gasket" from silicone caulk cast into the lid- but cover the neck (and opening) with a layer of electrical tape or some other barrier to keep the caulk out of the mouth and jets until it cures. Then take the tape off and see if it will seal. These are just a few "off the cuff" ideas that should have some chance at working.
Just about anything to move the sealing point to a line below the jets.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:24 pm

Vibe pretty much covered, it except for a picture.

i'm working on a new simmerring attachment, that someone else came up with.

Daren......

Burner

Postby Burner » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:56 pm

Wow, DarenN your craftsmanship is incredible, a true credit to you.How many hours did it take to make this beauty?
Also Daren do you sell them? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:57 am

Burner, i have no idea how long it took to make. i can say for certain that it took a lot longer to think about it than it did to actually build it. no i don't sell them.

Daren.....

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:25 am

Is the outer wall, the part with the actual holes in, Wickatized or is it just a hollow space. Oh and i also found this... http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article.asp?sp=&v=8&UAN=5644 its a really cool wind screen pot stand combo for trangia's
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

rigidpsycho

Postby rigidpsycho » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:04 pm

DarenN wrote:here's mine. the "Jolgia".

info in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=878

DarenN.......

Does this have an inner wall in it and if so does it just come up below the lip? I still can't get mine to bloom and I'm wondering if it's because I don't have an innerwall in it.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:28 pm

Most definitely, RP, you need an inner wall. The jets need to be between the top of the inner wall and the outer wall. Your combustion was just going out the filler hole. Put wick in the sealed wall chamber to absorb fuel and wick to the jets. Your initial combustion will heat the fuel in the sealed wall causing the fuel to vaporize and your flame will ignite the vapors coming out the jets to a bloom. Good luck !
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Stove Designs by Skids...”