Mystery Tool 35

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
zelph

Mystery Tool 35

Postby zelph » Tue May 27, 2008 10:31 am

ImageImageImageImageImage
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Re: Mystery Tool 35

Postby DarenN » Tue May 27, 2008 10:35 am

it's a plane called a "plow" or "dado" plane.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:16 pm

DarenN wrote:it's a plane called a "plow" or "dado" plane.

Let me get back to you on this one. I misplaced my answer sheet :lol:

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:19 pm

zelph wrote:

Oh i love this just like a school teacher northing up there its all on paper :lol: :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:24 pm

oops56 wrote:
zelph wrote:

Oh i love this just like a school teacher northing up there its all on paper :lol: :lol: :lol:

I want to make sure, my mind is a little fuzzy right now, too much driving these past two days :shock:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:43 pm

The Thomas Falconer plough plane is one of those mysterious planes, cloaked in the obscurity of time, for which little is known and all avenues of research seem to lead to a dead-end. Those lucky enough to be at Clarence Blanchard's Brown Auction in Harrisburg, Pennslyvania during October 1998 actually got to see the plane and handle it to confirm its existence. The rest of us just heard the news trickling through the tool grapevine -- "winner of a Royal Society of Arts award", "a unique plane", "the finest plough plane made", etc, ... and later "a record price".

The Falconer plough plane (I am sticking with the English spelling as the plane is English in origin) is a coachmaker's plough meant for plowing grooves, typically for decorative inlaid banding, on objects with curved sides. It is made from rosewood with gunmetal and brass fittings, and has a flexible steel fence which can be adjusted to follow a large variety of curved work. It has been stunningly preserved, looking almost as it must have 150 years ago when it was made.

I have been able to dig up some additional research on this fine plane, and hope to shed some more light into the dark alleys of the tool's past. At first (at the time of the Brown auction) there had been only three of these planes known, although five or six reproductions were made several years back (and these are easily distinguished from the real McCoy). Two of these originally known examples now reside in the United States, and the remaining example was once in the collection of the Science Musuem of London, but has now been returned to its owner. Since I began my research, two more examples of "Falconer-type" planes have surfaced -- and each of the five is different in significant aspects. I now believe Thomas Falconer was not a planemaker at all, simply a designer who came up with a good idea, received an award for it from the Royal Society, and then let others make planes based on the idea. The idea was never patented, so anyone could have made Falconer-type planes.

Plough plane is correct :D The estimated value is between 22,000 and 26,000 dollars.

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”