Mystery Tool 28

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
Tony

Re: Mystery Tool 28

Postby Tony » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:32 pm

Thanks allen,

Those small plastic Pencil sharpeners that kids have in their bookbags, work pretty good at making
small shavings from dry twigs of the correct diameter. I keep one in My Emergency bag.

what a brilliant idea, so simple I am embarrassed I did not think of it, I think all of the alcohol stove testing is affecting my brain, I have to stop drinking the stuff.

Tony

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:45 pm

Pencil sharpener, what a neat idea!!!!!

Just a quick note before I take off to the woods :mrgreen:

Tony is the one that put me in the direction of this Mystery Tool. He showed me a photo of a cast iron Spill Plane that was not clear enough to post. Just to let you know that some were made of cast iron.

Thanks Tony!!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:50 pm

Been there doing that the pencil sharper i got are two size has a big one also i use a chap stick holder fill with petroleum jelly for the cotton balls.

Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:53 pm

:lol:
HEHEHE!!
what fun! i just ground up half a pencil into an ashtray. lit a piece of frayed jute twine with a ferro rod and lit the shavings.
flame on!!
DarenN..........the pyro! :roll:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:28 pm

I'm going to have to take some time and make one these planes to cut some spills for my fire making fun time.

Take a look at the way the plane shaves off such a nice piece of thin curled shaving. Nicely formed into a length just right for transfering a flame from something to go somewhere else with it. 8-)

I have some pieces of ponderosa pine that will surely meet up with the edge of the plane to makes some fine spills. :)

Just had an idea of using the blade from a pencil sharpener to make the plane. It looks to be the right thickness and length to work into a plane.

I like the looks of the spill in the photo above and will try to duplicate it!!!!

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:29 pm

DarenN wrote:HA!
i win!!!!!!!!
it's called a "spill plane".
it is used to make curled shavings (spills) that are use to light the fire, or your pipe, or the stove.
my grandfather had one nailed to the mantle at the old homestead farm in Saskatchewan. as kids we were not allowed to play with it.
DarenN.........

DarenN, where is your grandfathers spill plane located now? Why do you think he had it nailed to the mantle?

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:51 pm

zelph wrote:DarenN, where is your grandfathers spill plane located now? Why do you think he had it nailed to the mantle?

let's see.............
my grandfather got emphizema and they moved to town in the early '70s. we were a clan of poor mennonites and the farm was pretty run down. the family kept the land for some years and rented out the land to a neigbor. eventually, the house and buildings were demolished, and reclaimed as farmland. i imagine that the spill plane was still nailed to the mantle. :(

the spill plane was nailed to the mantle cause that's the way it was supposed to be used. move the wood, not the plane. (i do this from time to time. clamp a plane in a wooden vise upside-down and pass the material over the blade).

there were other homemade tools around the farm as well.
one that i remember seeing used once was a rope twister for making three-strand rope. i sure wish i remember how that thing worked. hand made wooden gears spinning as they turned, i think. just don't remember enough, as i was too young at the time. (closing in on fifty now, that was a looooooonng time ago).

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:33 am

(closing in on fifty now, that was a looooooonng time ago).

Daren, you will be a member of the Greybeards soon :lol: The ONLY GOOD thing is that you will qualify for the senior citizen discount at Goodwill :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:08 am

the spill plane was nailed to the mantle cause that's the way it was supposed to be used. move the wood, not the plane. (i do this from time to time. clamp a plane in a wooden vise upside-down and pass the material over the blade).

there were other homemade tools around the farm as well.
one that i remember seeing used once was a rope twister for making three-strand rope. i sure wish i remember how that thing worked. hand made wooden gears spinning as they turned, i think. just don't remember enough, as i was too young at the time. (closing in on fifty now, that was a looooooonng time ago).

That kind of information is priceless, thanks Daren!!!!!!

I remember seeing a rope maker like you describe incorporated into a broom making machine. Round brooms made of ??? and held together with the 3 stranded rope.

Approaching 50 heh. I'm glad I'm not there yet!!!!!! I look forward to the discounts though :mrgreen:

Tony

Postby Tony » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:55 pm

Approaching 50 heh. I'm glad I'm not there yet!!!!!! I look forward to the discounts though

What is wrong with being over 50

ps, that is when I started using a walking stick.

Tony

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”