Free gift if you identify this one

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
sudden

Re: Free gift if you identify this one

Postby sudden » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:45 am

Well I only got a clue so I don't really know what it is.

Can you tell us if the little puck at the end of the rod is magnetic?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:47 am

I want to know how Sudden "cheated". That could prove to be more useful.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:03 am

Vibe wrote:I want to know how Sudden "cheated". That could prove to be more useful.

That would ruin the fun for everybody. Sucks for me though. Now I can't enter mystery tool contests.
And, I don't even know if I'm on the right track after doing it.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:49 pm

I'm assuming Sudden followed up somewhere on the patent number..not cheating if Zelph is going to give that info out there... ;)

..but if he wants the free gift..he better get his okole in gear and post a link.,.or someone else will grab the gift! :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:57 pm

My guess is a tool to cork or cap a bottle. :)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:58 pm

No, didn't look up the patent. Good idea though. I think my method didn't work anyway.

I did find this picture. It does look like a lot of different tools. This tool is used to bend (by pressing) a clutch spring to tune it.
The mystery tool looks very lightweight in comparison. I'm wondering if your supposed to tap on the back of it to press something into place now.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:04 pm

to pop off the inner lid of a canning jar
Man play with fire man get burnt

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:18 pm

oops56 wrote:to pop off the inner lid of a canning jar

That makes a lot of sense. If the center part pushes it down it might pop off without hurting the edge. I looked for images of "canning tools" earlier but didn't find anything like that tool. They did have a magnet on a stick for lifting the lids out of hot water I think.

What bugs me is the screw on the center shaft. It seems like it is there to make the distance adjustable. Wouldn't need that for a canning lid. I thought of something that could push an o-ring inside a tube too. (used to work on sliding seals with o-rings inside a tube, but we had no tool like that either).

Good mystery.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:12 pm

I was thinking the end of the center piece might be spring loaded(and magnetic?) for holding down a lid while the outer teeth start the threads of the screw down ring on the two piece canning jar lid..That makes more sense to me.The side pieces of the arms can grip a canning lid ring out of hot water and start the threading instead of burning your hands..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:15 pm

realityguy wrote:I was thinking the end of the center piece might be spring loaded(and magnetic?) for holding down a lid while the outer teeth start the threads of the screw down ring on the two piece canning jar lid..That makes more sense to me.The side pieces of the arms can grip a canning lid ring out of hot water and start the threading instead of burning your hands..

I forgot to mention that the rod that is attached to the round disc is spring loaded. :roll: I an sooo sorry. All of you could have guessed what it if I had given that info :o ;)

My guess is it's an insertion/extraction tool for computer chips. Used for placeing them on circuit boards prior to soldering. A guy/clerk in a favorite store of mine asked me if I knew what it was. We stood there trying to figure out what it was for. Neither of us had the answer. When I left the store he gave it to me. I said I would put it here in this forum.

I could not find a site that had this specific tool on it. I googles extraction tool and then looked at all the "photos" associated with the search.

The screw that holds the center rod is probably tightened just to keep from flapping in the breeze while in storage. Lose while being used to pick up the chips and then pushed on to insert and press down on the chip into the board.

Look at this tool to get a basic idea of what one style of tool is.

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/303211 ... 026-1.html
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”