Free gift if you identify this one

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
realityguy

Re: Free gift if you identify this one

Postby realityguy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:49 am

Seeing that it is made in "Taiwan" and not "China"(agewise) and the distance across the posts..I'd say it for old DX486 /early Pentium/AMD computer chip removal/insertion tool(about 2" across).The large end would distribute more equal pressure and perpendicular straightness of the tool across the back of about a 2" larger square module,prevent bending of the pins around the perimeter...if that's its purpose. ..Don't ask how I know... :roll:
:lol:

Start googling up the names/numbers on the handle...Now it should be an "antique"!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:06 am

So far nothing has explained the need for the disc being spring loaded or the need for the center shaft being so strong. If you look at a typical chip extractor it only has the hooks (no center shaft). If you look at a typical chip inserting tool it is rectangular in shape. The old plcc type chips did not require a special tool for insertion, just the plain tweezer type removal tool.

If we can't identify it exactly I'd have to vote for the first person who suggested "chip removal tool" but I'm still looking.

zelph, the video was helpful but I would also like to know what the motion of the disc is relative to the tweezers when the screw is tightened. Does it retract as the tweezers are closed or stay in position?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Let's ask why the Disc and why not a rectangle? I think it's not for a computer chip but for a disc shaped component. Maybe for removal of POTS from under/overhead. Something has to be replaced under your dashboard of your car for an example. You reach under, push the spring loaded disc againt the part, squeeze and pull. The part is kept from falling out because of the spring tension.

RG, where did you get that info. You sound so technical, too technical :mrgreen:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:18 pm

I used to build/program my own computers..I fried many antique 386s and 486s... :lol: It's just not worth the bother anymore building your own and programing them...but I probably still could.Should be easier now with the programs that pretty much fix their own mistakes... :roll:
I was thinking the AGE of that item..and it being made in Taiwan..that's about the right era... ;) I could have used one of those ..back then...
There are a lot of older circuit boards that were a pain to take items off/put on the board because other junk was in the way and your fingers couldn't get in there..plus a "don't touch..body oils kill"..such as projector bulbs,etc..The disc at the end of the shaft is the mystery..maybe as "you turn"(like auto light sockets),it puts downward pressure on the item( I understand metal breaks glass..but maybe other items..just used the bulb as an example).
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:28 pm

My best guess is not a chip extractor.

I finally looked up 3C. It's like 3M only it stands for electronics products. Computers/Consumer Electronics/????

Since it has the shape and function of an extractor, and 3C has something to do with electronics, I'm guessing it is for placing something.
What the something is I don't know yet.

What I have in mind is this:
You are picking something up (maybe from a package or multi-pack) and placing it. The spring loaded disc is there to put some pressure on against the hooks so it's easier to hold it.

Off to search again. My neck is killing me from looking at images all day :roll:
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:37 am

Somewhere on the net in the past I saw some searches for international patents..but i couldn't find them again..I don't know what else is written on the handle in the video..maybe a company name that would make the search easier...I couldn't read it..

espressojoe805

Postby espressojoe805 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:35 pm

I think it is the valve insert for a pancake batter dispenser. Missing is the batter holder.
Thank you, Peace...

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:42 pm

I think the batter holder has a single plunger handle at the top of it..don't they? I think this thing does the opposite of what those do..or it needs a spring for the whatcha-ma -call-it on the gizmo... :roll:

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Hmmmm!!! It does have a resemblance of sorts to one of those batter dispensers.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”