100th member to register wins free stove

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
Ridgerunner

Re: 100th member to register wins free stove

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:29 pm

by RBrownkatz on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:27 pm

"Hi Yall, I'm hungry and need a new stove to cook some grub"

Actually, I'm a sort of newbie DIY stove guy. I've made a few, mostly Fancy Feast can Cat stove types. I've had fun lurking on this site, have learned a great deal, but really don't feel I have had anything to contribute yet. I just happened to stumble on this thread today.

Thanks.

Richard
http://www.athikersonline.orgRBrownkatz

Private message

Wow ! Glad to see you found your way back to us , Richard. Welcome aboard, I think you will find interesting topics of conversation here. I checked out your web link and noticed you reccommended White Blaze Fever. I will have to find a copy as I have never seen that one. I have read a dozen books on AT hiking and enjoyed them all. Some get into the history of the trail and some into conservation issues while others are more like journals. A Walk in the Woods was the first one I read and it brought tears of laughter to my eyes while reading it. I understand the Robert Redford is in negotiations to bring the book to the Big Screen---can't wait.
Zelph owes you a stove! He makes quality stoves--enjoy!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:58 pm

RBrownkatz wrote:"Hi Yall, I'm hungry and need a new stove to cook some grub"

Actually, I'm a sort of newbie DIY stove guy. I've made a few, mostly Fancy Feast can Cat stove types. I've had fun lurking on this site, have learned a great deal, but really don't feel I have had anything to contribute yet. I just happened to stumble on this thread today.

Thanks.

Richard
http://www.athikersonline.org

Hi Richard and welcome to the follies of liteweight thinking.

We're glad you stumbled onto this thread. As soon as you PM me your address I send you a brand new stove as a welcome to bplite. 100th person to register. Thanks for stopping in and make yourself at home.

Nice website you have in your signiture, thanks for sharing it with us.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

RBrownkatz

Postby RBrownkatz » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:15 pm

Thanks zelph and ridgerunner. I appreciate the welcome. And I appreciate the stove!

About Redford, that's my underestanding too. I wonder what the effect will be. Will other people see these guys struggling and giving up and conclude a thru-hike of the AT is insane? Or will it turn people on and we'll see a lot more people on the AT.

Hope to run into you outside some time.

RBrownkatz

Postby RBrownkatz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:34 am

Hey Zelph,
I got the stove you sent :D . Thanks!

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:03 pm

RBrownkatz wrote:Hey Zelph,
I got the stove you sent :D . Thanks!

It's a classic and one of my favorites. Have you cooked a meal on it yet. I beleive I shipped it in a bubble pack, did it get smooshed?

RBrownkatz

Postby RBrownkatz » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:59 am

I haven't cooked with it yet but I've tried it out boiling water in my .85 L MSR titanium pot I got for Christmas. How light and easy can you get: pour in alcohol, light, place pot. Two cups boiling with less than 3/4 oz of denatured.
Do you notice any difference in speed or efficiency between denatured and pure methanol? I've been thinking of running a test comparing dentured and Heet.
Yes, you sent it in a bubble wrap envelope. It arrived just a little bent, but easily bent back.
Thnaks again.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:17 am

RBrownkatz wrote:I haven't cooked with it yet but I've tried it out boiling water in my .85 L MSR titanium pot I got for Christmas. How light and easy can you get: pour in alcohol, light, place pot. Two cups boiling with less than 3/4 oz of denatured.
Do you notice any difference in speed or efficiency between denatured and pure methanol? I've been thinking of running a test comparing dentured and Heet.
Yes, you sent it in a bubble wrap envelope. It arrived just a little bent, but easily bent back.
Thnaks again.

My tests show denatured burns hotter than Heet. Pure methanol is for medicinal use only :mrgreen:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll use small boxes next time around. :)

Allen

Postby Allen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I'll use small boxes next time around. :)[/quote]

I've been thinking of trying cylinders cut from Pringles cans. Sometimes You can find short
Pringles cans at convience stores. That, combined with a Bubble wrap mailer envelope
should work OK.

Cheers!

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:42 pm

Allen wrote:Thanks for the feedback, I'll use small boxes next time around. :)

I've been thinking of trying cylinders cut from Pringles cans. Sometimes You can find short
Pringles cans at convience stores. That, combined with a Bubble wrap mailer envelope
should work OK.

Cheers![/quote]

Good idea, those should work well.

I envisioned little children following behind the mailman with noses sniffing the air trying to figure out where the aroma is coming from. :)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:25 pm

by RBrownkatz on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:27 pm

"Hi Yall, I'm hungry and need a new stove to cook some grub"

Thanks.

Richard
http://www.athikersonline.orgRBrownkatz

Private message

Wow ! Glad to see you found your way back to us , Richard. Welcome aboard, I think you will find interesting topics of conversation here. I checked out your web link and noticed you reccommended White Blaze Fever. I will have to find a copy as I have never seen that one. I have read a dozen books on AT hiking and enjoyed them all. Some get into the history of the trail and some into conservation issues while others are more like journals. A Walk in the Woods was the first one I read and it brought tears of laughter to my eyes while reading it. I understand the Robert Redford is in negotiations to bring the book to the Big Screen---can't wait.
Zelph owes you a stove! He makes quality stoves--enjoy!

Where did Richard go? Where is Cheat?

Found a copy of White Blaze Fever at the library and am 1/2 way through it. Looks to be an excellent read. Thanks Richard. It is along the lines of a journal with minimal history . The author is a 51 yr. old retired school teacher from Ohio, so I connected right awaybeing a 52 yr old education major; Hey, I can't help it if I decided to cut meat instead of teach ! :lol: It is not as hilarious as A Walk in the Woods but it will probably be in my top 5 AT reads.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”