Just for the heck of it !

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
Ridgerunner

Just for the heck of it !

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:44 pm

My father-in-law passed away about 6 years ago and he was kind of a collector of old artifacts from his era. I really miss sharing a bottle of beer or a glass of his homemade blackberry or cherry wine with him while sitting in the old barber shop chair in the corner of his workshop next to the old wood burning stove that he used to keep it warm and to clean the impurities of the cast iron that he use to collect. He was my connection to the past. I could sit and listen to him tell me things of yesteryear that I would otherwise be oblivious to. Youngun's , spend time with your elders and listen. You'll be glad you did. ANYWAY, my brother and I were looking around in the shop and came up with a couple tools that might stump some of you. One is pretty easy but the other one not so easy. See if you know what they are.

"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: Just for the heck of it !

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:38 pm

Pole climbers may have used the thing with the leather strap. They strapped it to their ankles and it helped them shimmy up a telephone pole. Could be used by hunters also to climb into tree stands. I came upon 2 bow hunters one time. I sat down next to a tree and watched one of them shimmy up a large diameter tree. He got up about 8 feet or so, stopped and tried to reach out and grab an arrow that was lodged in the tree about a foot away from his outstreached hand. He never did reach it. His strength gave out and down he came. He looked like a squirrel with out streached arms and legs clinging to the tree. :D :lol:

The cone shaped thing is modern aluminum version of the toy "Top" A string is wrapped around the groves of the cone. One end of the string is held onto while throwing the top down towards the ground and with a flick of the wrist and backward pull on the string would cause the top to spin at a high rate of speed while remaining upright on the very tip of the cone.

He was my connection to the past. I could sit and listen to him tell me things of yesteryear that I would otherwise be oblivious to. Youngun's , spend time with your elders and listen. You'll be glad you did.

Good advice, call home, talk to your family. Tell mom and dad hi for me :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:09 pm

Where did you get the folding heat sheild? Your background.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:18 pm

Coleman heat shield---Wal-mart. The is a guy on ebay that has two different sizes of heat/wind shields. He also has alot of good quality cookware, firestarter. Ships from China. I always pick the auction that has the "make offer" tab. He will take half price or less. I really like the tea kettle---similar to the Primus kettle.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:32 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Coleman heat shield---Wal-mart. The is a guy on ebay that has two different sizes of heat/wind shields. He also has alot of good quality cookware, firestarter. Ships from China. I always pick the auction that has the "make offer" tab. He will take half price or less. I really like the tea kettle---similar to the Primus kettle.

How about a link to the ebay guy. You talking about the kettle oops showed a photo of?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:13 am

How about a link to the ebay guy. You talking about the kettle oops showed a photo of?

Let me preface this link with the following info. He has different cookware sets available at different times. I always look for the one that has the "make offer" tab and the cheapest shipping. I have always offered him half price or less and he has accepted every time. I bought a firestarter, a kettle, and a pot/pan combo. Shipping from China usually took 1 to 2 weeks max. When i bought the kettle, it was offered by itself.

http://stores.ebay.com/HK-PLUS2-POSTAL-SHOP_PLUS2-CAMPING_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ117392719QQftidZ2QQtZkm

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:14 am

Ridgerunner wrote:

Let me preface this link with the following info. He has different cookware sets available at different times. I always look for the one that has the "make offer" tab and the cheapest shipping. I have always offered him half price or less and he has accepted every time. I bought a firestarter, a kettle, and a pot/pan combo. Shipping from China usually took 1 to 2 weeks max. When i bought the kettle, it was offered by itself.

http://stores.ebay.com/HK-PLUS2-POSTAL-SHOP_PLUS2-CAMPING_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ117392719QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Thanks for the link.

Question :?: The cone shaped item on the right, does it have another piece toit?

The Cheat

Postby The Cheat » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 pm

Hmmmm....

1st item:
Brick pointer?

2nd item:
Variable speed assembly for a belt driven tool of some sort?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:29 pm

Thanks for the link.

Question The cone shaped item on the right, does it have another piece toit?

Why yes Zelph, the coned object does have a round base that it "sits over".
I will see if i can find a pic of it on its base. I'm sure oops has seen these items at some point in time. :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:53 pm

Maybe I can help the masses out on this one. Here is another pic of the second tool.

I will give you a hint on the first one. You would not use it to pick your nose but you could use it on your ear. :lol:

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”