Mystery Pliers...?????

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
realityguy

Re: Mystery Pliers...?????

Postby realityguy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:04 am

I was trying some glass projects and they came in handy..and quick.Occasionally I have to replace glass panes in older sashes..and also when I was building my own cameras I found a need to grind my own glass for viewing screens and cut them to fit large format camera..from 2-1/4'" square up to 11x14".When I looked on ebay and saw the ground glass pieces I needed were going to cost $10 to 40 EACH..plus shipping.. :o ..I figured I better learn to make my own..and did..Used glass is dirt cheap compared to that.I was buying nice picture frames with glass in them in the size and thickness I needed for $1 on sale days. :DB:
I'd buy 11x14 and up and grind my own with carborendum grit between two panes(a 5x7 or so under my hand over a larger piece).The grit was from a cheap rock polishing set from a thrift store..and a lot of elbow grease... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:02 am

Chemical etching the glass is easier. That elbow grease is getting harder and harder to come by now a days :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:47 pm

zelph wrote: elbow grease is getting harder and harder to come by now a days :D

i'll say!! :lol:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:51 pm

zelph wrote:Glass breaking pliers are for rookies :lol:

The secret for cutting and breaking glass is to break it quickly right after scoring. The scored line actually continues to fracture for a few seconds after the score. You can actually see the chips/slivers of glass popping up from the score. Try it, illuminate the glass well from the side and get up close to see the action. I was shown that by the experts. :D

did the expert tell, or show, you that you need to wear safety glasses? ;) :o
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:14 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:Glass breaking pliers are for rookies :lol:

The secret for cutting and breaking glass is to break it quickly right after scoring. The scored line actually continues to fracture for a few seconds after the score. You can actually see the chips/slivers of glass popping up from the score. Try it, illuminate the glass well from the side and get up close to see the action. I was shown that by the experts. :D

did the expert tell, or show, you that you need to wear safety glasses? ;) :o

Yes they did and gave me a pair when I entered their plant. They gave me a tour and showed me the process of plating glass with silver to produce mirrors(so cool) and showed me cutting, sanding(edging), etching and handling of all kinds of glass related functions.

Thanks for the reminder, I should have said wear safety glasses when watching the glass after scoring.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”