West Coast mystery tool...

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
SHI-Warlock

Re: West Coast mystery tool...

Postby SHI-Warlock » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:05 pm

Cutter for a lathe.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:19 pm

Nope..nothing having to do with a lathe...sorry..Keep guessing.

RR..the vinyl siding doesn't really have a sharp edge but it does have an interlock between the top and bottom pieces.The tool can be worked between the interlock of the bottom of one piece and the top rib of the one below to take a piece off..otherwise it's near impossible to remove one without destroying a piece.
That's the way the vinyl stays together...I figured the only person that would get that tool was someone that had done vinyl siding before. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:32 am

Specialty center punch/marker
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Nope..not a punch..the additional tool is a "center punch" type marker and 7/8+" diameter to the wood portion..That oughta be a good clue.. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:25 pm

laminate trimmer?

no idea.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:39 pm

realityguy wrote:Nope..not a punch..the additional tool is a "center punch" type marker and 7/8+" diameter to the wood portion..That oughta be a good clue.. ;)

So it's a marker, edge scribe, edge chamfer tool holder. Marks laminate end cap to match curve of backsplash. :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:47 pm

Both tools have nothing to do with laminate or countertops..something more common than that.You may have even done portions of the overall job this year around your house. :o ..but you may have done them the hard way without using these simple tools...(I don't recall anybody mentioning doing the overall job...but you may have had to do one... ;)

I know;now you are really confused.... :lol: ..I thought these would be simple tools to figure out for homeowners... :shock:

The round thing is a marker showing you where to drill a hole..but why?..and how is it used? :?: What purpose does the back groove around the wood have?Whoever designed that tool made the job simple and it does save a lot of guesswork and time!

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:19 pm

The wood one is for marking the jamb for a latch plate. Place the dowel in the cylinder hole, close door and push marker to the jamb. You know what I mean ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:37 am

..And Zelph comes through again! :DB: ..The wooden tool is used for setting the latch plate on the jamb of the door..slip the dowel in the knob hole of the door before you put the knob on..move the door to the closed position,then shove the marker towards the jamb..marking the center of the latch on the jamb.The groove around the back is for pulling it back out with a flat bladed screwdriver..if the latch holes is too tight..pretty ingenious if you ask me.
The other item..is just a "corner chisel" for cleaning the corners of hinge plates after you rout them out in the jamb or door.The router spins a round bit,therefore the corners don't get marked and cut as they should if you use butthinges with square corners on them.Place two aluminum edges of the chisel against the back two square edges of the hinge hole.Pop the steel cutter with a hammer which cuts the vertical sides perfectly and tap a regular chisel in along the bottom of the hinge hole..pop the wood out.The steel portion is sharpened on the two edges of the outside.and a spring is mounted up the middle.
Hanging doors and cutting hinges is a lot easier with these two tools..
Of course that tool can be used for any inside corner area that needs chiselling out.. as long as you have to sides to rest it against..

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:30 pm

The other item..is just a "corner chisel" for cleaning the corners of hinge plates

That was clever not to show the other side of the tool ;) we would have guessed it in short order :mrgreen:

Show us some more tools that you have and don't know what they are for, we'll give it our best shot to guess what they are. I like mystery tools. As soon as I get caught up with my todo list I'll get back in here and post some goodies.

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”