West Coast mystery tool...

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
realityguy

Re: West Coast mystery tool...

Postby realityguy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:00 pm

That first item..I don't know..I think someone had something with an odd shape that needed work while being clamped,rotated,reclamped,etc..looked like a pretty universal clamp system to me..why I bought it.However..It looks like it would do more damage than good.Maybe he's clamping wood while it's gluing for lathe projects..like ball point pen barrels or something similar..but there isn't any glue residue.
I'd like to find it somewhere on the net someday to see what it is really for. ;)

The bed..I got smart after that project and started inlaying diamond shapes instead...It's easier.If I tell you the secret..I'd have to kill ya... 8-)

It always blows people away when they see the inlaid diamonds in person... :shock:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:12 pm

started inlaying diamond shapes instead...It's easier.If I tell you the secret..I'd have to kill ya... 8-)

If that's the case then I don't like the looks of the diamond inlays :P :mrgreen:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Yeah..it's no fun handcarving all the little holes for the diamonds,the plugs are about 1/4" thick..... :roll: People actually think I did that. :shock:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:24 pm

Okay..easy mystery tool I picked up today..more than likely Daren has one. :roll: .Got my 75 cents worth.. :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:45 pm

Straight edge. Extendable to 8' small piece is a wedge type clamp to hold the two piece s together.

edited to change my mind :lol:

sheet metal forming tool for seams.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:10 pm

Sheet metal bender "#8" 8" Malco..bends 1/2" lip on one edge and 3/8" on the other edge..mainly for plenums and ductwork but should work well for windscreen interlockjoints... :mrgreen:
The diamond holes are on there so you can see the bottom edge of the metal to make sure you are bending it straight and that the metal is all the way in the slot..We've used them also in the past for snapping skinny pieces of scored laminate(formica)...
I'm surprised that "Zelph Guy" doesn't own one. :roll: .. :lol:

http://www.bizrate.com/handtools/malco-hand-bender/ ...different length ones are available...

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:15 pm

i didn't answer this one because it would have been un-fair. me being a sheet metal worker and all. ;)

the Malco folding bar comes in different configurations. the most common is a 1/2" on one side and a 1" on the other. as an apprentice (many years ago) i was taught to make my own folding bars. i still do. if i don't already have what i need, i make it.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:58 pm

I'll have to get one :D

Do you thing that configuration would work well on a caldera cone type windscreen? Have you tried it?

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:48 pm

zelph wrote:Do you thing that configuration would work well on a caldera cone type windscreen? Have you tried it?

yes, and yes.
most all of my windscreens have a hem-in/hem-out on the ends to hook them together.
it would work just fine on the C-cone, provided you get the diameter just right to fit the pot.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”