indispensable

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
Ridgerunner

Re: indispensable

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:20 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:i would have to say TP. or bug spray if i had to pick just one, it would be hard.

Would that be 3 sheets or three rolls of TP, IR! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:25 pm

Maybe he uses one of those Coleman electronic mosquito repellants. They are less than 8 ounces unless he is referring to three of them. ;) but they are not effective on all mosquitos. :o I bought some of those after getting drilled one october morning on stand. They got me in the only area not covered by my facemask or hat. My brother in law laughed his tail off when I got back to camp for lunch with a solid red line of bumps across my forehead. :oops: :x
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:08 pm

waterproof matches
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:00 pm

How many fricken matches do you carry to equal 8oz?..Do ya think ya got enough? :o

I started the alcohol hiking stove twice today with one ferrostick and the knife...I no longer pack matches... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:01 pm

cadyak, how do you keep focused on a willy wabit wunning weeely fast :mrgreen:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:15 pm

Irrational solutions is on the right track.

concentrate on in"front" of the rabbit, and follow through with you bow arm.

. I admit this isnt as cool as some the tools you guys have been guessing at, but lately i have seen a lot of threads with people discussing bug solutions.
This thing is all about the quality of the sit, whether you are hunting, cooking, or woodstove testing. I live in what is widely accpted as one of the buggiest places on earth. I am almost sure that this poll was done on TRADGANG.COM which is a site for traditional bowhunters. They are a group that I think could easily jive with this crew. There is a huge amount of MYOG, bushcraft, and everyone is always tweeking their setups and trying to improve their gear. I say this because I am trying to convey how incredibly picky, detail oriented and thorough this group is in their appreciation of gear.
Deet Works. No Doubt. I always have some. However, here are a few of Deets shortcomings:
It can ruin certain plastic materials and expensive high tech fabrics.
It stinks. If a human can smell it from 50 ft away a hog sure can.
The mosquitos are still there, just not on you. In the swamp or any low lying area the mosquitos are still so loud that a deer can easily walk right up to you without being heard.
I have done almost no summertime backpacking in recent years. Its just to ____ hot. But every night just to complete my chores around the house and do a burn or two on my stoves, I have to apply deet to every exposed area on my body. I dont mind really, but then I have to come in and read to my kids for an hour and it gets all over their beds.
I always miss a spot and the little buggers find it.

I know it may seem "contraption-like". I was a HUGE skeptic. but It has never failed me in hundreds and hundreds of hunts, excursions or just sitting around outside.
If I am camping and it isnt freezing, I will always have some mesh protection for sleeping. I just happen to really love cooking, mapreading and enjoying the campsite too. If you arent ready to get in your bivy or tent, You need some skeeter protection for that hanging out time.
If you ever sit around cursing the mosquitos or have to use a lot of deet just to be able to function in shorts, I urge you to at least try one. they are cheap, but accept no substitute. I havent tried any of the new little coleman fan thingies, but if someone says it doesnt work then it isnt the same as a themacell. I have always wanted to get a review from someone dealing with those northern mosquitos like the ALaskan state bird. YOu can get them at Wallyworld or any reputable outdoor outfitter.
Read some reviews and get you one for when its real buggy. I guarantee you will not regret your purchase. one butane cartridge last 12 hours and each pad about 4 hours and works in about a 10-15 ft radius. Not great for windy conditions, but then the bugs arent so bad then either.
I have kidded with my buddies for a few years now that real fear is sitting in the swamp 30 minutes before dark and having your thermacell start sputtering.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:31 pm

I've worked in Alaska tundra areas off a bristol bay flyfishing river(Alagnak/Lake Illiamna area) putting in buildings over tundra and the proverbial fudgcicle under the foot of moss the mosquitos are building condos in..That wouldn't slow them down one bit.They''d pick it up and carry it away for entertainment :lol: .50 of those might possibly make a dent,but not s big one before the batteries went dead from constant zapping..... :roll:
Deet destroys flylines..found that out the hard way after having to replace a lot of $50 lines... :roll:

http://www.katmai.com/lodges.html ...I built a lot of this...back in the mid 80s..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:29 pm

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/ ... ct-reviews
here are about 400 or so reviews including several from Alaska. There a few low ratings but very few. I dont use it for anything except sitting in one place for a period of time long enough for bugs to really hone in on your scent. like hunting or chilling.
I have a week long kayaking trip to the Ga coast coming up in October. No-seeums and mosquitos are in actual clouds around you until maybe 5 minutes after you crank up you thermacell. then they are gone. I have recently rediscovered my old mountain bike buddy in eagle river, AK and I am trying to arrange some adventure time up there. Maybe ill get to try it out myself.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:01 am

Let us know how it works up there..the bugs are ferocious and I used to come home from a month up there covered with small scabs on my arms and that where they actually took chunks...and left drops of blood..H*ll..they are used to eating moose and bear..humans are like filet mignon... :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:59 pm

Most of the time I take my binoculars with me when I'm soft shoeing thru the timber. I use a harness http://www.mybinocularharness.com/ that makes carrying/using a breeze. Mine focus at 4' and out, great for plant/butterfly identification and animal/bird watching. I can see how it would make your hunting experience an enjoyable one even if you don't see any game that you're after. It's a great mystery tool, thanks for sharing that one with us.

The ThermaCELL is very interesting and I will invest the bucks today to try it out. 470+ reviews is quite impressive. There are times I prefer not to be wearing my trusty hooded net shirt, it gets warm behind the mesh during the summer months. I sure use it alot though, can't stand deet, my skin does not like one bit. I use a BugBaffler shirt, old style(new ones have black hood, easy to see through)

http://www.bugbaffler.com/story.htm

http://www.bugbaffler.com/products.htm

Some info I came across on the ThermaCELL:

How It Works

ThermaCELL uses revolutionary, patented technology to dispense a small amount of repellent into the air over a long period of time. ThermaCELL is powered by a butane cartridge which provides the cordless, portable heat necessary to operate the device (batteries are not needed). It directs the heat to a metal grill. A mat saturated with Allethrin, a copy of a naturally occurring insecticide found in chrysanthemum flowers, is placed on top of the metal grill. The heat generated by the butane cartridge vaporizes the repellent allowing it to rise into the air, creating a 15 x 15 ft (225 sq ft) “Mosquito-Free-Zone” in minutes. The repellent is very unpleasant to mosquitoes, but when used as directed, will not harm humans or pets.

Field Tests

US Army Testing

Efficacy Summary:
ThermaCELL is a new Area Repellent System developed under a cooperative research and development agreement between The Schawbel Corporation and Walter Reed Army Institute of Research. This area repellent device has been tested by Dr. Michael Perich in the field with U.S. Army Units in Korea and found to provide excellent protection (Up to 98% from biting mosquitoes especially Malaria Vectors in Korea). Unpublished studies conducted at other locations gave excellent comparable results.

* A study conducted in the "Joint Security Area" near Pan Mun Jom in the summer of 1998 thoroughly evaluated ThermaCELL in open guard posts and bunkers.
* Label directions were closely followed. Mosquito landing counts were used to collect data on the mosquito populations in the bunker study. Standard mosquito light traps baited with CO2 were used in guard posts to measure the level of mosquito activity before and during treatment. Control sites were maintained with no ThermaCELL treatment.
* Ninety Five plus percent (95%) of the mosquitoes captured were Anopheles sinensis, the primary malaria vector for the region.
* A level of protection from malaria mosquitoes of 81% to 98% was achieved using ThermaCELL in open bunkers and guard posts.
* These results are the best yet reported for a product developed for use as an area repellent system.

If you have any specific questions regarding the U.S. Army testing or would like more information please contact us at schawbel@thermacell.net.

------------------------------------------------------------

Has low toxicity

The mosquitos are still there, just not on you. In the swamp or any low lying area the mosquitos are still so loud that a deer can easily walk right up to you without being heard.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (I visualise....the deer coming up close to your ear and yelling "Helllllooooooo" :lol: )

Hey!!!!! I was in a State "Natural Area" a few weeks ago(without my net shirt, just spray on repellent) and it was identical to what you describe. I had to quickly retreat from the area on my own lest I be carried away and eaten alive by the millions of skeeters. It's a nice place for me to test the ThermaCELL.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”