indispensable

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
cadyak

indispensable

Postby cadyak » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:49 pm

I took part in an informal online poll of several hundred hunters a couple of years ago that posed the question: "what is the most important piece of equipment you own for hunting? An overwhelming majority answered the same as me. Hints. it is not a bow or a gun. I have used this device for years now and truly would rather stay home than be without it (at least until nov. or december) I have never seen it mentioned on any backpacking site, but folks just dont know how much quieter their outdoor hours could be. oh yes. it weighs 8oz.

DarenN

Re: indispensable

Postby DarenN » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:47 am

i'd thought i'd read somewhere that the human brain was heavier than that.
i never leave the house without it.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

beemerphill

Postby beemerphill » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:17 am

The "quieter" clue is throwing me off. My answer is probably not the one you are looking for, but it would be a knife AND a hat. Everything else is pretty much optional, but when I'm outside, I want both. Some of the answers might be interesting on this one.

:DB: :DB: :DB:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:05 am

Blaze Orange vest for me.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:41 am

Bino's
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:03 pm

sudden wrote:Bino's

That's medication :mrgreen: Could very well be the quieting answer and also for stealth :D

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:59 pm

binoculars is a good answer. They keep me entertained during many hours of sitting. quality optics make a big difference in my fun level.
We dont have to wear orange during bow season here but it is required once gun season comes in. (unless you are hunting an archery only property)
Bow season lasts from sept through october and it can easily be 90+deg+ 100% humidity in the SWAMPS where we hunt hogs and deer. It also often stays in the 80's or 70's until december and may not freeze until mid january.

My brother in law who is king of the gadgets showed me one these devices several years ago and I thought, great, another thing to weigh me down.
I became a true believer and now couldnt imagine being without one especially as the sun starts to set. I have 3 of them just in case.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:36 pm

I'm skeptical about binocs. I would speculate you have spooked many a deer when you lowered them to take a look without them. Just when you least expect it they will see light reflected off the lens. Lots of variables of course. When I hunted I never sat for more than 5 min. always advancing with out a sound until bullets start whizzing thru the tree branches 5' above my head :lol: I quit hunting Wisconsin with rifle after that experience :lol:

I no longer do the hunt. Only with eyes and binocs :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:40 pm

I am confused. When I'm in my treestand, I want to hear as much as possible. I want to hear the deer rustling thru the leaves before he is right up on me. I have a Walker Game ear but rarely use it as my hearing is just fine despite what the better half says. :P You take "three" of them into the woods just in case....hmmmm Whistle, firestarter, cellphone, gps, compass, led light, glowsticks, candles, emergency items..... my curiosity is peaked as to your most important piece of hunting gear ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:47 pm

i would have to say TP. or bug spray if i had to pick just one, it would be hard.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”