indispensable

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
cadyak

Re: indispensable

Postby cadyak » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:25 pm

there you go.
good data page.
I am convinced that any bad experiences with them have been because of a faulty unit. I had one go bad after a while and a lot of rough treatment.(talk about a rough afternoon....every minute seems like an hour when you are under attack.
If there are mosquitos near you at All, its not working.
trick: If you are going to walk out into the middle of some real nastiness and plop down, you may want to get it going a few minutes before you settle down. It takes about 5 minutes before you really notice a difference. This also saves you from the clicking piezoelectric starter sound when you are trying to be quiet in the woods. They warn you of the heat, but its really never any hotter than a nice hot coffee cup fullof joe.
I have friends that will attach it to their body somehow for walking around. It seems unneccessary to me, mainly because you are creating a wind by walking and the refills can get expensive if you run them all the time. I have read that you can get the butane cartridges aftermarket and save a lot of money although I havent done it yet.
They also have a "mini" now that I have yet to try out that is about half the size of the standard.

Ridgerunner. I only carry one with me, but I have back up at home so that I dont have to run to get a new one. They will sell out right before bow season.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:43 pm

zelph wrote:Most of the time I take my binoculars with me when I'm soft shoeing thru the timber. I use a harness http://www.mybinocularharness.com/ that makes carrying/using a breeze. Mine focus at 4' and out, great for plant/butterfly identification and animal/bird watching. I can see how it would make your hunting experience an enjoyable one even if you don't see any game that you're after. It's a great mystery tool, thanks for sharing that one with us.

The ThermaCELL is very interesting and I will invest the bucks today to try it out. 470+ reviews is quite impressive. There are times I prefer not to be wearing my trusty hooded net shirt, it gets warm behind the mesh during the summer months. I sure use it alot though, can't stand deet, my skin does not like one bit. I use a BugBaffler shirt, old style(new ones have black hood, easy to see through)

http://www.bugbaffler.com/story.htm

http://www.bugbaffler.com/products.htm

Some info I came across on the ThermaCELL:

How It Works

ThermaCELL uses revolutionary, patented technology to dispense a small amount of repellent into the air over a long period of time. ThermaCELL is powered by a butane cartridge which provides the cordless, portable heat necessary to operate the device (batteries are not needed). It directs the heat to a metal grill. A mat saturated with Allethrin, a copy of a naturally occurring insecticide found in chrysanthemum flowers, is placed on top of the metal grill. The heat generated by the butane cartridge vaporizes the repellent allowing it to rise into the air, creating a 15 x 15 ft (225 sq ft) “Mosquito-Free-Zone” in minutes. The repellent is very unpleasant to mosquitoes, but when used as directed, will not harm humans or pets.

Field Tests

US Army Testing

Efficacy Summary:
ThermaCELL is a new Area Repellent System developed under a cooperative research and development agreement between The Schawbel Corporation and Walter Reed Army Institute of Research. This area repellent device has been tested by Dr. Michael Perich in the field with U.S. Army Units in Korea and found to provide excellent protection (Up to 98% from biting mosquitoes especially Malaria Vectors in Korea). Unpublished studies conducted at other locations gave excellent comparable results.

* A study conducted in the "Joint Security Area" near Pan Mun Jom in the summer of 1998 thoroughly evaluated ThermaCELL in open guard posts and bunkers.
* Label directions were closely followed. Mosquito landing counts were used to collect data on the mosquito populations in the bunker study. Standard mosquito light traps baited with CO2 were used in guard posts to measure the level of mosquito activity before and during treatment. Control sites were maintained with no ThermaCELL treatment.
* Ninety Five plus percent (95%) of the mosquitoes captured were Anopheles sinensis, the primary malaria vector for the region.
* A level of protection from malaria mosquitoes of 81% to 98% was achieved using ThermaCELL in open bunkers and guard posts.
* These results are the best yet reported for a product developed for use as an area repellent system.

If you have any specific questions regarding the U.S. Army testing or would like more information please contact us at schawbel@thermacell.net.

------------------------------------------------------------

Has low toxicity

The mosquitos are still there, just not on you. In the swamp or any low lying area the mosquitos are still so loud that a deer can easily walk right up to you without being heard.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (I visualise....the deer coming up close to your ear and yelling "Helllllooooooo" :lol: )

Hey!!!!! I was in a State "Natural Area" a few weeks ago(without my net shirt, just spray on repellent) and it was identical to what you describe. I had to quickly retreat from the area on my own lest I be carried away and eaten alive by the millions of skeeters. It's a nice place for me to test the ThermaCELL.

trick: If you are going to walk out into the middle of some real nastiness and plop down, you may want to get it going a few minutes before you settle down. It takes about 5 minutes before you really notice a difference. This also saves you from the clicking piezoelectric starter sound when you are trying to be quiet in the woods. They warn you of the heat, but its really never any hotter than a nice hot coffee cup fullof joe.

I'm going to wear my netting shirt and walk into the area and do a video of the test for science :D When I'm in the thick of them I'll put the fire to the unit and observe. Recorder in one mesh covered hand and ThermaCELL in the other.

I forgot to post some photos of the shirt:
Attachments
wood burner new 017.jpg
wood burner new 013.jpg
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:11 pm

That sounds like a GREAT product cadyak. I will definitely add it to my fall bow hunting arsenol! Thanks for the advice! :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:12 pm

I opted to get the mini lantern :o

It looked to be at least dual purpose. When I got it home it turned out to be tri-purpose. It will be able to maintain a hot drink while your on your stand or just relaxing by the campfire. I measured the temperature of the surface where the pad is places, it was 186 degrees without the pad on it.

Inside the lantern is the tiniest of tiny flame that provides the heat. Heat being the reason the chemical repellent gets dispersed quckly and in greater amounts than just plain ole cold air evaporation. Literature indicates it will treat a 15 foot radius.

The small butane canister screws onto the side of the lantern. Has automatic shut of in case unit is knocked over.

It has a feature that allows it to be picked up and moved making it possible to do my video experiment in skeetersville :mrgreen:

Some photos:
Attachments
wood burner new 022.jpg
wood burner new 021.jpg
wood burner new 020.jpg
wood burner new 019.jpg

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:57 pm

I bought several of the lantern type to use around the back deck at home. They seem to work OK. They arent as packable or durable but they do look good on the back porch. My wife doesnt guard them with her life like I do though and they have mostly all died from being left outside.

If you get the handheld, check out the holster thing. I used a homemade harness forever but finally bought one and then got another as a birthday present. It does a good job of keeping an extra cartridge and some pads on you and it attaches to a chair or tree stand.

Things I have picked up from backpacking have helped my hunting and likewise hunting has helped my backpacking. While I was running yesterday It hit me that maybe I could build a pretty nice quiver out of cuben fiber. Not too traditional, but way light.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:53 pm

I have not priced the Thermacell or cartridges but came across this youtube vid for you DIY'ers to save you a few dollars over time. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKb4YX_6Iw4
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:15 pm

cadyak wrote:I bought several of the lantern type to use around the back deck at home. They seem to work OK. They arent as packable or durable but they do look good on the back porch. My wife doesnt guard them with her life like I do though and they have mostly all died from being left outside.

If you get the handheld, check out the holster thing. I used a homemade harness forever but finally bought one and then got another as a birthday present. It does a good job of keeping an extra cartridge and some pads on you and it attaches to a chair or tree stand.

Things I have picked up from backpacking have helped my hunting and likewise hunting has helped my backpacking. While I was running yesterday It hit me that maybe I could build a pretty nice quiver out of cuben fiber. Not too traditional, but way light.

Can you lay the handheld model on it's side without it going out, does it have any safety features like the mini lanterns?

Had the thought to make a bow quiver out titanium wire. I have a Kodiak Magnum recurve with a bow quiver, now retired :o Hunted a lot but never scored a deer. Had lot of fun and memories. It's all about the "hunt" not the kill. (for me)

RR, thanks for the informative link to the video on how to make the cartridge refillable, easy fix!!!!!!

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:59 am

The handheld uses an element instead of that little flame. There isnt any kind of safety device I guess for that reason.
You can throw it like a football and it wont go out. You look inside a little window on the end to see the glowing element.

I like that bug baffler. It looks lighter than the bug tamer.
Memories is what its all about man. (although venison is nice) The magnum is a great bow. Short and maneuverable in tight quarters. You should break that thing out for a little stump shooting while youre out in the woods.

Ridgerunner. thanks for that video. I am real frugal about using these things because it can get expensive if you use them a lot.
I forgot to mention that the 8oz weight includes the unit, holster, an extra cartridge, and about 3 pads in the pockets.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:29 pm

Some shooting with the Kodiak would be nice.....need to get another arm guard, lost it amongst my "stuff" :lol:

I had an idea to find a source for the liquid chemical used on the pads and make our own pads. Here's the good part......apply the mini pads to a hand warmer, zippo/jone type :D to make it work. We all have a hand warmer laying around somewhere, right? (not an armpit) ;)

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”