Just For The Heck Of It

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
zelph

Just For The Heck Of It

Postby zelph » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:33 pm

Help me identify this tool. I don't know what it is, maybe somone out there does. :D

12-3/4" long, hundreds of tool collectors have seen this device but no one has yet been able to identify it:

The solid brass parts can be separated about 1/2", but a strong spring keeps them together as shown in the first picture.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: Just For The Heck Of It

Postby oops56 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:48 pm

Put a long line of bread dough extra hi then roll over it to make them fancy long bread. :?
Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:33 pm

if nobody can identify it, how will we know if we're right? ;)

if the angle created by the two opposing brass faces is 90*, and judging from the wear marks on the faces, it could be a tool for squaring up the corners on brick- and block-work.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:43 pm

DarenN wrote:if nobody can identify it, how will we know if we're right? ;)

if the angle created by the two opposing brass faces is 90*, and judging from the wear marks on the faces, it could be a tool for squaring up the corners on brick- and block-work.

Daren.......

The one that knows will give a little background on how they know of the tool and also in all likely hood give a link to some info on the tool.

If it were for squaring up block and brick work I think the rollers would be steel for wear longevity.

Being brass they may have been heated prior to use. A product that was rolled/formed may have hade some of it stick to the rollers. Once cooled the product hardened and had to be chipped or scraped off. Maybe a tool used in book making. Horsehide glue applied to the books spine, a covering applied and then rolled with the tool. The glue may have oozed out and gotten on the tool in the process. The book making apprentice being in a hurry to get home to mama lets the tool lay instead of washing it down. The horsehide glue dries rock hard by the next day. :roll: Apprentice in fear of his life if the Deacon finds out, starts chipping away and causes the marks that we see.

It should be a book binding tool. :geek:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”