It fits on a key chain.

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
Bfinnigan

Re: It fits on a key chain.

Postby Bfinnigan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:42 am

Well realityguy was the first to post the correct answer. It is a cerro fire steel and striker. But nobody picked up on the tube being pure magnesium (dual use). The striker has two knife edges to shave magnesium off the tube. The end of the striker is a "U" shaped edge to provide more contact and more pressure while striking. I made a couple of them and have a piece of denim char cloth wrapped around the fire steel and striker.

The striker is W1 drill rod steel. It's a high carbon, high alloy water quenching steel. It's used to make drill bits. It is some tough steel and so many strikers out there are not the best steel to use. A stainless steel knife is a very poor striker steel compared to the drill rod steels and HSS steels.

The striker design has much less chance of knocking away your tinder.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:53 am

But nobody picked up on the tube being pure magnesium

We are aluminum brainwashed :roll: I sure do like how you do multi purpose, if there is a way to tweek the most out of something you'll be the first to do it :D

I scrapped and scrapped a magnesuium bar until I was blue in the face so I could get enough to start a fire in a drizzly woods condition. That is one difficult feat. If your life depends on it it's probably easy ;)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:56 am

I'm curious to know if you drilled the tube or it came that way?I'm kind of leary of drilling magnesium unless it's real slow and not heat producing. :DBfire:

I always carry the weber firestarter cubes now,seem to work well when it's wet or raining.I do have a couple magnesium bars but haven't tried that yet.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:16 pm

I drilled out the magnesium bar on my metal lathe. The lathe can be slowed down to 100 RPM which is the fastest speed you want to drill any metal. Unless you like to buy drill bits by the bushel. I also keep my bits mega sharp, sharper then they come from the store. Sharp bits don't generate much heat.

However on the first one I made I was cleaning up the oxides on the outside of the mag bar. I had the lathe running at 2400 RPM and about ten minutes into it I looked away over to the shop door. The entire inside of the shop had mag dust floating airborne. Immediately I realized my shop was now an air-fuel bomb just waiting for a spark. :o

I left the lathe running and ran outside and over to the house. I shut the main feed breaker to the shop. I did not want any sparks in the shop and shutting off the lathe would have made a spark under the switch. So I was lucky and all the rest of the mag I machined was at low speed with a fan venting the shop. And I did collect all the mag cuttings to run through my ball mill to make into powder.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:05 am

I think an oil base lubricant is used for machining mag to prevent ignition, is that correct?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:33 am

I am not sure what type of coolant is used while machining. Almost all commercial machining uses a coolant and the fire threat is from the cuttings and not the large mass being machined. I just use slower speeds when working on it. It's ignition point is 1200 (f) and it takes some fast speeds or massive amount of friction to get those temps. But it sure is easy and fast to machine.

mike121

Postby mike121 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:54 am

hii
I don't think so that its kind of custom key chain.

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”